The most annoying "Best of", "Greatest Hits" Compilations (key hits missing, live tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

You should have also noticed that it is a different recording.

2. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Too lazy to take pic but the track listing makes no mention of 'radio edit'.

3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I thought it was strange that Steely Dan's Greatest Hits included Haitian Divorce which was only released as a single in the U.K. and I never heard on the radio and Doctor Wu and omitted tracks like Dirty Work, FM and Deacon Blues. It was released before Gaucho so none of those tracks are included.

4. Grant

And, in most cases, they won't tell you. My assumption is because they know that there is a significant buyer who is averse to radio/edited versions because they are so used to hearing the album or whatever is on the AOR radio.

5. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Another reason is the following: when you have an artist that has changed record labels, said artist has had a lot of hits on the first record label, and the first record label won't license the original hits to second's label's best-of. With no mention of it anywhere in a spot that you'd see prior to purchase (it might be mentioned in the inside booklet but not on outside cover). I've seen cases where the old hit songs were re-recorded, and other cases where the old hit songs were live. Why would they let the buyer know they're not getting the real deal?

Lost In The Flood, Grant and Malina like this.
  6. CirculationUnderflow

CirculationUnderflow Well-Known Member

Holy Crap what happened around page 53,

NO MORE SLAMMING GOLD AND PLATINUM, it was the the de facto goto at the time (including stuff like On the hunt easily makes up for no CMTB) and Sat Night Special is all over this album. My only problem might be some of side4 but Simple Man makes up for that.

for some reason, esp from my vinyl friends, this seems to be the goto album for fans. and that double album is so recognizable and everyone seemed to have it. and a great song list make it easy to listen to with many different folks. SO WHAT SONG IS IT YOU WANT TO HEAR

7. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I assume that's a rhetorical question. I always check allmusic.com, amazon reviews, this site and possibly google for more info when I'm figuring stuff out. It takes time but I want to get the right comp!

Rock66 likes this.
  8. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

While it still happens getting re-recorded material was much worse in the pre-internet days. I memorized which groups were on which labels and if it didn't match up I would avoid the album (unless there was a licensing statement where the copyright was). I though I was being daring when I bought my first Rhino CD (Turtles Greatest Hits). Eventually that and an occasional read of Goldmine and my Rolling Stone Record Guide helped me to avoid those poor rerecords. Now for the live substitutions I learned that Columbia/Epic was the worst offender in that category, and if I wanted the other songs I just had to live with the one or two tracks that were live versions, I had to buy the record. But if I wanted the substitution I would just avoid the album and wait for the real McCoy. But as Malina above said, check the internet and you can usually get the info you need.

Grant likes this.
  9. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It's also on the first "Best of Sam Cooke" compilation, Sam Cooke-Greatest Hits, and it's on Portrait of a Legend.

10. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Didnt read all 79 pages, but I can't believe David Bowie's "Starman" wasn't on his GH album.

11. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

It's featured in the Bowie - Legacy comp released last year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Last years The Monkees 50 collection omitted ‘I Wanna Be Free’, one of Davy Jones signature songs.

13. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

Well, in all fairness, that wasn't really a hit. I like the song, but I can see why it would be left off a GH compilation. I don't think it was a single and it didn't chart as far as I know.

14. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Th
    The song has appeared on several past Monkees compilations and the Monkees 50 is more of a Best Of than a hits collection. It’s a head scratcher why this particular song was left off when it has appeared on previous collections. And I Wanna Be Free was issued as a single in other countries outside the U.S., including Australia.

[​IMG]

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Which one - "Changesone"? That album already had 2 songs from "Ziggy" - they weren't gonna include a third...

16. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

One disc was hits, the other was "deep cuts". Essentially.

Also, wasn't Pipes Of Peace Macca's last US top 10?

17. Grant

Yeah, and it peaked one point higher than "Changes".

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Yes - one can do that, in 2017.

Most of the cases that happened to me wrt to this occurred in the 1980s, when none of the tools you mention were available.

Even after all this time, I still remember being very irritated.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  19. red corner

red corner Forum Resident

Henry Lee (with PJ Harvey) is also missing in action.

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Still unsure if "Changesone" is the album Bingo Bongo discussed, but if it is, it's clear that one was designed more as a "best of" than a "greatest hits". Neither of its "Ziggy" songs even got released as singles!

21. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I think it was Spies Like Us.

warewolf95 likes this.
  22. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

That's the nature of Monkees reissues. I remember that the Arista LP that was out in the late 70s didn't have Words, even though it was a charted b-side to Pleasant Valley Sunday (I think I Wanna be Free was on that one). Too many big Monkees songs to fit on a standard LP. If the others are OOP then it's a let down.

23. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

I always thought the reason "Venus and Mars" was absent from that set was because nearly the entire album was included on "Wings Over America" just a couple of years prior. Don't remember where I read that--if I did--but, if it's true, it always made a certain amount of sense to me. Nice that he included the key non-album singles, though, since this was their first time to appear on a long player. I'm thinking of "Another Day," "Live and Let Die" (which was on the soundtrack album, of course), "Junior's Farm," "Hi Hi HI" and "Mull of Kintyre."

phillyal1 and Bingo Bongo like this.
  24. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

"Pipes Of Peace"was the B-side of "So Bad" in the U.S.

I hope he get's one more Top 10 to move that turd out of position. "Spies Like Us" took 2 months to get to #7 and 5 weeks later it was down to #85

http://www.song-database.com/chhist.php?sid=5983

He hasn't had single in U.S. Hot 100 Top 20 in 31 years.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

Etienne daho le grand sommeil 1983 par Jérôme - Dailymotion
    (this is a link to the video but dailymotion cannot be embedded as media on this forum).

Etienne Daho's first hit was "Le Grand Sommeil" in 1983.
    He put out a live album in 1989 ("Live ED") and a live version of the song was issued as the first single. The video aired a lot, and this version is quite superior to the original for me.
    I understand live tracks not being included on greatest hits compilations...but this live version was a kind of hit at the time. I also understand the inclusion of the first hit in its original form on compilations but Etienne said he didn't like the arrangement too much. You would think that out of the 3 or 4 compilations that were put out (including a double that was made from his choices, including live versions) at least one would unclude the 89 live version put out as a single. But no!
    Track down the original "Live ED" album or the single!

Btw, this is probably the only video i can think of that has a live soundtrack but a regular video stuck with it that I actually like. Live tracks with live footage make sense....

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.