The most annoying "Best of", "Greatest Hits" Compilations (key hits missing, live tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I disagree with that. The live version of "Lola" came out in 1980 (if we're thinking of the same live version). The studio version came out in 1970. All of us (who are old enough) had 10 years with the studio version before there ever was that live version, and if there is someone (like myself) who doesn't buy that 1980 live LP, that person never heard the live version.

I know that "Lola" was represented on the Kinks 1977-1986 Greatest Hits LP by the live version. But that was because the 1977-1986 LP covered their time on Arista (which covers the 1980 live album). The 1970 track was on Reprise. Arista was certainly not going to promote the Reprise version of that song if they had a different version of the same song on their own label.

Matthew Tate and Duke Fame like this.
  2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I didn't even know there was a live version of Lola, though I can't say I'm surprised.

goodiesguy likes this.
  3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I prefer bands that actually make albums and consider the whole idea of “Best of” or “Greatest Hits” to be hilarious and aimed at the lowest common denominator since they’re obviously just quick cash grabs from the record labels.

4. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

It's also featured on The Essential Kinks compilation that came out a few years ago, which I found annoying. I prefer the studio version.

The studio version always gets played, never the live version, at least here in the Boston area.

5. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Regarding Marshall Tucker's "Take The Highway" there's a nice cheapo 2 disc set called The Millenial Collection that contains the blistering live version from Where We All Belong.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Mirror Image

Not to brag or anything of the sort, but guitarist George McCorkle was my second or third cousin (can’t quite remember). I never met him. Unfortunately, he died many years ago.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

Can you name some examples of artists who have done this?

davers and Colocally like this.
  8. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

Then it's a generational thing. The first version I heard was the live one in the 80's (I was born in '69) and it was played quite often on radio and definitely got some MTV play as well.

ebro likes this.
  9. negative1

negative1 80s retro fan

i'm annoyed by greatest hits that aren't in chronological order.

however, since you can resequence the tracks yourself, you have to
    do a little research first.

i like most of the greatest hits i have, because for some bands, that only have
    a few songs that i like, that way i can get those, and might even hear a few more
    that i like.

most of them don't cause me to get the actual albums though.

i do collect greatest hits from bands i like though.

later

Hammerpeg and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Along the same lines, I've heard a lot of praise for the "Celluloid Heroes" on that 1980 live album.
    The original came out in 1972.
    I have heard both versions on the radio, but not much (for either track) since about 2000.

Duke Fame likes this.
  11. Mirror Image

It’s the record label who puts these compilations out, because a label is more or less interested in generating revenue and pushes bands into writing hit singles. What I’m saying is I prefer bands that care more about the album than writing hits.

dbone828 likes this.
  12. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

The Beatles - 1962-1966. No Revolver tracks other than Eleanor Rigby and Yellow Submarine. Also would have been nice to have I Saw Her Standing There, This Boy, She’s a Woman and Rain included.

KISS - Double Platinum. I really love this compilation (it was my introduction to KISS), but I find it odd that Shout It Out Loud wasn’t included, as that was one of their biggest hits. Nothin’ To Lose as well, that was their first single. Some Ace Frehley vocals would have been nice, Shock Me or Rocket Ride. Maybe some other cuts like I Stole Your Love, Ladies Room, Parasite, King of the Night Time World, etc.

KISS - Smashes, Thrashes & Hits. Having Eric Carr re-record Beth was a dumb move. Some of the remixes are terrible (I Love It Loud), with that 80s reverberated drum machine tone, and the two new tracks leave a lot to be desired.

The Police - Every Breath You Take: The Singles. Having Don’t Stand So Close To Me ‘86 in place of the original was sacrilege.

dbone828 likes this.
  13. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

My impression is that Revolver was not as highly regarded in 1973 when the 1962-1966 compilation was done. I also felt that the A Hard Day's Night period was short-changed too. They could have added quite a few more songs, given how long the 1967-1970 sides were.

dbone828 likes this.
  14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I would guess it probably got most of its play at the time of its release, though, while the studio version has probably been played more over time....?

Duke Fame likes this.
  15. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

I disagree with the above statements about greatest hits albums, they can be a great way of introducing people to a new group. Also There used to be a lot of groups who liked to keep singles and albums separate, for them, a hits collection is essential.

goodiesguy, davers and dbone828 like this.
  16. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I picked up a Small Faces hits comp the other day without Itchycoo Park. I then put it back down.

17. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

My copy is mastered by Ted Jensen but it's a remaster. The original CD came out in 1995.

The Hud likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

well metallica and ac/dc have no hits releases

The Hud likes this.
  19. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I recently picked up Joe Walsh’s “Anthology” despite disc two missing several key tracks. I added the following tracks as “Disc 3” in iTunes.

The Confessor
    The Radio Song
    Fun
    In My Car
    Ordinary Average Guy (Studio Version)
    All Of A Sudden
    Up All Night

Once I get Songs For A Dying Planet, I will add “Vote For Me”, which was a single.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

Duran Duran - "The Essential Collection" (EMI, 2000).

Made up entirely of cuts from Self-Titled 1, the entirety of "Rio" (!!), and contemporaneous B-sides. As a new fan at the time, the presence of all of Rio's single edits and even a Bowie cover left me with the sorely mistaken impression that nothing post-"Is There Something I Should Know" was to be considered "essential", thus delaying my discovery of "Seven and the Ragged Tiger" and "Notorious" by a few years, at which point I found out how wrong I was!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Cue "False Dilemma."

dbone828 likes this.
  22. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

It was the first response to the OP and probably mentioned again BUT...."Listen To What The Man Said." Was this not a #1 hit? Was it not by Wings? WHY was it not on Wings Greatest? I am a bit biased...when I was 13 and hanging out every day that summer before freshman year at high school it was played at least five times an hour on the jukebox.

23. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Maybe this has been mentioned but most of the Fixx greatest hits compilations have live versions of Red Skies and some others which I just hate.

24. ZiltoidtheOmniscient

ZiltoidtheOmniscient Forum Resident

Remember reading that Paul had a lot too choose from for his Wings Greatest hits as he also put solo material in there as well and thought that would be saved for a Wings Greatest hits volume 2 which never materialized.

25. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

At least that's a reason...not a good one, IMHO, but better than the insanity one is otherwise left with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.