The most annoying "Best of", "Greatest Hits" Compilations (key hits missing, live tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Sucking in the Seventies is an odd compilation, it's not a Best of or Greatest Hits at all. I defend its existence because it has a fantastic live version of When The Whip Comes Down plus a few other interesting tracks.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  2. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Bowie Fame & Fortune, has 1984 on it for some reason and totally ignores Aladdin Sane, sounds fantastic though on RCA CD.

3. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Anyone that has only a live version or a remix of your favorite song and not the original.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  4. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

Yes, you're totally right, my foggy memory had it as a 45 playing at 45 rpm, but as you said, it indeed played at 33 rpm.

Mylene and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

How do you figure? It's mostly Bono - Johnny Pavarotti sings for only about one minute, 30 seconds of the song's 5:30 running time.

And I get the criticism that it's not a "U2 song", but I put this in the same category as solo McCartney on a Wings compilation - it's really the same thing.

U2 could call themselves "Passengers" if they wanted, but it was still U2! :)

6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I had stated Jumpback was a 'true' greatest hits compilation but not the others. (Please re read my wording)
    For the record i like Sucking in the 70's too but everyone knows it is a hodgepodge of a specific era.

7. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Yeah, okay, and I know the band sort-of reclaimed the song in live shows and such, which is fine. But Pavarotti? Imagine Pavarotti popping up on a Beatles' song. Once you hear him, it's a Pavarotti song.

8. All Rights

All Rights Senior Member

Time Waits For No One was a compilation released by WEA when the Rolling Stones Records distribution deal switched to EMI (outside the US only) Beginning in 1978 with Some Girls.
    Even though it was released 1979 after Some Girls, it contains only tracks from Sticky Fingers through Love You Live (1971-1977)
    For awhile before the CD era it was the only way to hear the uncensored Star Star.

All Down The Line likes this.
  9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes fully aware of that.

10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Always seemed like a U2 song on which Pavarotti guested to me - kind of like the guest spot for a rap break on so many songs... :shrug:

11. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

I'm sure it's been mentioned dozens of times, but The Beatles '1' compilation leaving off Please Please Me in deference to Guinness' version of what was and wasn't Number One in the UK charts. Grrr...

12. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

The 2cd LZ remasters cd was what got me into Led Zep so I can’t agree.

13. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

At least that one remembered Good Times Bad Times!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Sidestepping the premise of whether it's really one of their most influential songs, was "Helter Skelter" already one of the Beatles' most influential songs when the Blue Album was compiled in 1973? Of course, it's not hard to find issues with the Red and Blue compilations, from the curious over-emphasis on Rubber Soul at the expense of Revolver, to the myriad transcription errors in the original lyrics printed on the inner sleeves. (How hard is it to spell "na na na na" correctly?)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Three Dog Nights' Compilation titled "JOY TO THE WORLD" had all of their tracks I wanted but "MAMA TOLD ME (NOT TO COME)" was missing!

Lewisboogie and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Fashion and Fame?

17. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Too many! I'll say no more.

Lewisboogie and HappyFingers like this.
  18. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Good call with “Fame ‘90.” Without that substitution, the ‘Changesbowie’ CD would have been perfect.

19. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

Any rerecorded compilation. It's like wanting to see Ghostbusters and being shown the 2016 film.

SomeCallMeTim and wrappedinsky like this.
  20. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

“Everything’s Turning to Gold” is the highlight on that one to my ears.

All Down The Line and JumpinJimF like this.
  21. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

Foreigner’s ‘Records’ would have been perfect if it had included the studio version of “Hot Blooded” instead of that never-ending live version.

No Bull and vinnie like this.
  22. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Octopus Garden was one the most influential tracks of the band in 73? That you see how it´s the track listing.
    Both red and blue are good compilations for listen, show the band for new people, but when you all the discography, you see that both albums could be better.

No Bull likes this.
  23. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

That has always bothered me as well and Burnin’ Sky is my favorite track from them

SilkHammer and Dondy like this.
  24. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I’ve got to say, I agree with this. It’s why I still prefer ‘Hot Rocks’ over ‘40 Licks.’

No Bull likes this.
  25. Hammerpeg

Hammerpeg Forum Resident

I usually prefer full-length versions as well, but in the cases of both “Sweet Emotion” and “Same Old Song and Dance,” I find the single versions are more to the point and hit harder.

The Hud and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.