The most annoying "Best of", "Greatest Hits" Compilations (key hits missing, live tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

We’ve got most Stones compilations (Hot Rocks, Singles Collection etc.), but the ones that work best for me are time capsules like Flowers, the Big Hits comps, Made In The Shade, Sucking In The Seventies and Rewind. The brevity of each gives them an urgency that gets lost on the more thorough comps.

2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

That whole box is lame, particularly the terrible sequencing.

bataclan2002 and Galley like this.
  3. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Forum Resident

What the hell is it with putting Changes on Black Sabbath best-ofs?

wrappedinsky and jjm905 like this.
  4. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Back when I bought these sorts of CDs, I remember being really annoyed with a Led Zep box set, released around 1990,, which omitted Living Loving Maid and another big one I don't recall. Also, Van Morrison's omitted Blue Money and Tupelo Honey.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    No Bull likes this.
  5. Grey Alien

Grey Alien Forum Resident

I've owned some really, really crappy "public domain" Judy Garland CDs.

6. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Personally I think Echoes does the job pretty well.
    Eugene and the mentioned albums are ‘deep’ stuff.
    As much as I love Obscured By Clouds I can’t think of any song that would be suitable for inclusion.
    The Zep box set I liked at the time, but it’s really a headscratcher. Take 90% of the studio output, more or less chronologically, add 3 extra tracks and voila!
    It’s pretty pointless.

7. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

‘1’ is the ultimate single-disc Beatles compilation.
    Can’t see how I could improve it, imo.

Red & Blue can happily co-exist, but that should’ve been a double cd.

8. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

That was the only way Roy could earn some money from it.

9. ScaryMercedes

ScaryMercedes Forum Residents

Although it seems like a weird deep cut, Marwa Blues did win a Grammy in 2003, which probably elevates it to top-tier solo Beatle hit status and definitely warrants it a place on any Harrison comp.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree...

11. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

"BEST OF COLD CHISEL DELUXE 2 x CD" doesn't have "MISFIT" but it is completely 'brickwalled' from track 1 to track 34.
    Luckily I won it in a radio competition and didn't pay for it!

Mylene likes this.
  12. Osthagen

Osthagen Forum Resident

I haven’t bought Monster yet. Nor have I heard the album in full. But I agree, certain songs, Crush With Eyeliner being one example, definitely should have been included. Even Star 69 should have been considered.

Galaga King and No Bull like this.
  13. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

REM made a lot of better albums then Monster but Monster may have had the most airplay out of all their albums. I think the tracks you listed should have been on Part Lies.. "Bang and Blame" from Monster was REM 's last top 20 hit and isn't included either.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  14. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

40 licks also has 4 new tracks.. And they don't really stand up very well with the clasic Stones tracks (I say this as a guy who enjoyed "A Bigger Bang")

Plus Hot Licks includes "Play With Fire" and "Heart of Stone" two truly great early Stones hits...

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe Kings And Queens is also edited by about 1 minute.

Matthew Tate and No Bull like this.
  16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

They knew you could easily find a copy of Monster in the used bins. :)

In all seriousness, Bang and Blame is one of my all time favorite REM songs, so I would have included it.

agundy, Matthew Tate and No Bull like this.
  17. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I mean I have seen so many copies of Monster in the used bins... it does have 4 or 5 really good tracks though

Drifter and The Hud like this.
  18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

It does, I still have my CD that I bought on release day, and the CD/DVD-AUDIO set.

No Bull likes this.
  19. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Anthology compiled by Cameron Crowe is such an excellent mix of TP songs. Its a staple in any road trip i take, the music is great but so is the flow of the mix.

No Bull likes this.
  20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Minutes To Memories got a lot of airplay in my neck of the woods back in the day also MIA. Great collection though.

sbsugar, No Bull and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Reviewing the list, two annoyances come to mind:
    • Interviews/Non-Song Chatter That Are Not On Separate Tracks: I had this experience with the Madness Box Set The Business. While it is a great collection, the one negative of the collection is that with some songs they included interviews and chatter before/after the song as part of the song rather than putting it as separate tracks. Thus, if you want to listen to a song you also have to listen to interview/chatter too. I ended up buying a greatest hits CD to get the songs without the interview/chatter. They should have separated it out.
    • Repackaging Of The Same Greatest Hits Collection Under A New Name: With the A&M Classics* Vol. 2 which featured the Carpenters, just took their Yesterday Once More compilation and released it under a new name. To their credit, they did mention on the outer packaging that it had previously been released as Yesterday Once More.
    *The Classics was a series of 25 collections released on CDs released to commemorate A&M's 25th anniversary. Each volume focused on a single musical entity.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

It got a lot of airplay where I was living as well. great track.

Exile On My Street likes this.
  23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that doesn't sound very annoying :pleased:

24. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Good Times Bad Times was the other big omission, so much so that when they did the 2 CD distillation Remasters, Jimmy put it on.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  25. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident

What I would like to know is why, exactly, are certain hits packages missing certain songs (whether they were big hits or not)?

~Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.