The most annoying "Best of", "Greatest Hits" Compilations (key hits missing, live tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I did check Amazon. I found nothing.

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I love Rhino's "The Best Of The Monkees" (the one with the white cardboard slipcase cover).

It's a really well done compilation and absolutely the best introduction to the band's music, but I wish they had included "That Was Then, This Is Now" and "Heart And Soul".

thecdguy likes this.
  3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

I choose Eddy Arnold "Greatest Songs" (Legendary Artist Series) as the most annoying because it's misleading. The songs on this CD were not Eddy Arnold Hits.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/850230

melstapler and BradOlson like this.
  4. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Acoustic Sounds still has it listed but with no ship date. On Reprise Records. Thank goodness that is not the cover I saw on Amazon!

Grant likes this.
  5. Grant

I saw it. Cheesy cover.

6. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

The Best of Ann Peebles The Hi Records Years. CD does not include "I Needed Somebody". Annoying, but great stuff nonetheless. Can't say enough about the great Ann Peebles.

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

The brand new compilation, Rock and Roll Fantasy the very best of Bad Company, doesn't include Rock Steady, Silver Blue and Gold, Youngblood and a few other essentials.
    Overall it's an okay compilation, but it could have been an awesome compilation

zen, Christopher B and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

the only two bonus cuts that I liked on the extended edition were the longer version of Staying Alive and Warm Ride, which was a small hit for Rare Earth, I could care less about those new dance remixes.

Jarleboy and Grant like this.
  9. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

Who's Greatest Hits. No "Baba O'Riley," plus a truncated "Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Who Are You."

marc with a c and Christopher B like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

And a generic, boring album cover:

[​IMG]

Zack, Christopher B and bagofsoup like this.
  11. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes it is...I think it's just a stock cover they are using. The real one is in the likeness of the Mythology art. Just a fancy version of the Bee Gees logo. Not bad, but certainly little effort was put into it. Nice to see them putting it out...wish you could have seen the track list but I'm sure you will approve based on posts I've seen you write. I'm happy for Barry as he was touring simply to keep their songs alive. It's a shame they stopped that beautiful reissue campaign. I'm not a huge fan of their early work but I even bought the vinyl box of their first three albums simply for the beautiful packaging and book, and I wanted to support the effort. I guess it didn't sell very well. Wish they would have focused on the seventies stuff first.

Grant likes this.
  12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I agree. I bought the record store day EP with a remix and it's no big deal. I think both of you will like the track list and running order of the next compilation that has now been rescheduled for Dec 23. I think it's vinyl only, which for me is fine. The last thing they need is yet another CD compilation! The track list is slanted a bit more to fans imo, including Boogie Child, which hardly ever seems to be on their comps.

13. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

My fave Joe Walsh track, "Life's Been Good", is omitted from some of his Greatest Hits albums... and they use the edited (approx. 4:41 vs. 8:15 full length) most of the time if they do include it. :realmad:

14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

the 2 official walsh hits collections do include the full version. there is also a hits collection that was being put together before lifes been good had been released. other than that all other compilations were released without joes authority as far as a I know

15. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

But it does include "Gone Gone Gone" and Electricland" unlike the Original Bad Company 2-CD anthology.

16. ferdinandhudson

ferdinandhudson Forum Resident

The "You Should Be Dancing" comp is not rescheduled, it is all-out cancelled. No CD, no LP, nada.

http://beegeedays.com/en/news-en/910-compi.html

17. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

It's on the anthology thankfully

JimC likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Aerosmith, oh yeah ultimate hits. Has enough room for about 4 more songs. Missing "kings and queens", "toys in the attic", "lord of the thighs", "let the music do the talking", "hole in my soul", and a few more

19. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Wow. How is it a release gets all the way to a cover being done and a release date given and then it is cancelled? I could see it if this was going to be a CD....the last thing we need is another CD comp. But on vinyl it made sense. I don't know if there is another band that has had more troubled release issues. A shame...had a very nice, complete hits track list. Thank you for the heads up....I had it on preorder and Amazon never informed me it was cancelled.

20. Grant

Happens all the time in this business.

21. Grant

Nah! That would make you happy! Not everyone wants or needs full albums.

lbangs likes this.
  22. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

Eric Clapton's Crossroads is considered a definitive multi-volume collection of Clapton's finest moments to date (1988) on record, and it captures his pre-solo period pretty completely with just about every song that saw any chart action anywhere in the world, but it misses a lot of his solo hits: "Willie And The Hand Jive," (#26 US), "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" (#19 UK), "Watch Out For Lucy" (#40 US), "Tulsa Time (Live)" (#30, US), "I've Got A Rock 'n' Roll Heart" (#18, US), "Forever Man" (#26 US), "It's In The Way That You Use It," (#1, US Mainstream Rock), and "Behind The Mask," (#15, UK).

23. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

Probably with Steely Dan's "Gold" ("Here at The Western World"...I know, it's an outtake but still)
    And it probably became even more commonplace with Hall & Oates' "Rock & Soul Pt. 1" with "Say It Isn't So" and "Adult Education" becoming such massive hits.

24. Matthew Tate

how would that make me happy? i was saying thats why record companies leave hits off on purpose but seegers catalog from the 80's is pretty much OOP so make no sense to leave those off

Grant likes this.
  25. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I swear it seems like record companies purposely leave off 1 or 2 excellent tracks when compiling greatest hits albums, particularly when those tracks appeared on an earlier comp.
    Case in point: the double CD on Rhino, The Very Best of Chicago: Only the Beginning. Absolutely excellent set, but they omitted Song for You and Loser With a Broken Heart. As good as it is, you still need to buy the earlier comps for those tracks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.