The most boring concert you've ever been to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Keefheart, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I've told this story here before, but I caught him on that tour, first time seeing him live. He came out first thing and said he was going to be playing some new stuff for awhile that evening, and you could just hear this collective groan go through the crowd. But the Greendale stuff was actually very intriguing live IMO (I had been listening to the album a bit before going. so it helped to be familiar with it I think), though some of the stage antics of it were hammy.

Only when he came out for an encore of four of his "classic" songs to appease the casuals was I ever so slightly bored, honestly.

bonus and Scooter59 like this.
  2. William K

William K Forum Resident

Only went to one Moody Blues Concert..BORING!

Rickchick and Erik B. like this.
  3. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Death Cab For Cutie at some festival outside of Cleveland.
    The boundless lack of energy oozing off that stage was positively...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I'm sorry was I saying something?
    :--)

Fullbug likes this.
  4. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I saw that show in Manchester, thought it was great.

David Byrne this year in Oxford. Expected so much. Bored me to death. Sad but true.

5. Dr. Zoom

Dr. Zoom Forum Resident

They have tried to pair Van up on tour with just about every legendary performer of the last 40 years, and the result is always the same...he bores the audience into oblivion. (Would have loved to have seen Ray).

squittolo and Captain Keefheart like this.
  6. JannL

JannL Forum Resident

Was it Depeche Mode "Touring the Angel"?

squittolo and zen like this.
  7. deadbirdie

deadbirdie Senior Member

Same here, Clapton. I'm a fan too. Saw him once and it was pretty darn boring.

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  8. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

The Cars - for Heartbeat City, June 23 1984, Mountain Aire Festival, at Calaveras County Fairgrounds, Angels Camp, CA.

9. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I guess my 4th item is:
    A musical act who has performed for several years, and has built up a “track record”, usually won’t change “their stripes”.
    (I.E., Van Morrison, Bob Dylan, The Cars, etc)

A quick search for reviews of recent shows, will temper any optimistic expectations...

YMMV

10. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

The other show for me was Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers near the end of the 90's.
    I had seen them countless of other times and they always...I repeat... always delivered the goods.
    This happened to be the second to the last show of a very long tour and I was as bored as they were.
    A few years later, they come around supporting a brand new album- which happened to be the first show of a new tour-
    and they blew my mind. I saw them many times after and they never disappointed.

Audionerd likes this.
  11. Captain Keefheart

Captain Keefheart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for that Chuckles....

lightbulb likes this.
  12. 0476pearljam

0476pearljam Forum Resident

Dire straits on the 1991 tour, a waste of time and money, it was lifeless and boring...

13. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

The Black Keys, 2014. Save for their opener (St. Vincent, guitar goddess), it was so meh.

stef1205 and Erik B. like this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No worries. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but none of our little group did! We're probably a minority as I read a lot of good comments about it afterwards. Where we were the sound was a bit quiet so it will have lost a lot of impact through that too. But that set list...

Did you see The Who at Newcastle Arena a few years earlier with John Entwistle still in them? That was a good one.

15. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

For me Dylan in Newark NJ, about 2 yrs, ago, Tom Rush (really boring), and Tangerine Dream in NYC... 8O's or so (just endless noodling with
    Edgar Froese doing rock guitar stuff, we left early) My daughter saw Jeff Tweedy solo recently and was quite bored as well. It's a bit challenging
    to just play an acoustic guitar show solo i.e. Rush and Tweedy and keep it interesting for a whole night.

16. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Dire Straits, On Every Street Tour, 1991, Dublin. The boredom exacerbated by the fact that it was the start of the tour and the album hadn’t come out yet. Zzzzzzzzzz.

Dopey and squittolo like this.
  17. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, 2003. A bore.

Audionerd likes this.
  18. Captain Keefheart

Captain Keefheart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sadly not mate. I did see Neil Diamond and Peter Gabriel there around the same time as Dylan though and they were superb! :)

19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

“Do Weeding...?”

That’s a very low entertainment bar to hurdle! :laugh: :agree:

Unless, you really meant....!!!

Then, just bring some of that “weeding” with you to the show!
    There’s usually someone else in the audience who partakes....
    :winkgrin: :cool: :laugh:

20. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

James Taylor at Great Woods in Mansfield, Massachusetts, about 15 years ago.

21. JRJ

JRJ Forum Resident

Went with my brother to see Bob Dylan in Ottawa, 2006.
    He had his back to the audience behind a keyboard the whole time. Asked my brother what song he was playing and he didn't even know and he is also a huge Dylan fan.
    Dylan wasn't into it and neither the crowed. We spend a lot of time getting beer.
    Foo fighters opened doing an acoustic set and they but on an excellent show.
    Both local papers gave Dylan rave reviews.
    Not sure what concert the music critics attended.
    Cheers;
    John

Fullbug and SoundDoctor like this.
  22. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

A tossup. First, Spin Doctors/Gin Blossoms. Godawful, out of tune, every song the same, snore. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
    Second, Gary Duncan masquerading as Quicksilver Messenger Service. 90 minutes of boring, tedious songs that no one there had ever heard. The entire audience was pissed off and complaining.

Zeppelin fan likes this.
  23. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Kings of Leon at Nassau Coliseum in 2009. May as well have stayed home and listened to the records. They didn't move an inch the entire show.

Big letdown, considering the set I saw at Roseland Ballroom in 2007 was full of raw energy.

24. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Forum Resident

Stevie Nicks (mid 80's)...Peter Frampton as supporting act. Wanted to see Frampton, but jeez, what a snoozer of a set.
    I think we left after a couple of Stevie Nicks songs...

25. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

Yes in '75 in Seattle. Only concert I ever fell asleep during, and I was straight as could be. Ace opened the show---this was when "How Long" was on the charts; they were good.

Fullbug and davers like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.