The most intense placebo you ever experienced

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by petertakov, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A bottle of wine always fine tunes my system

doctor fuse, pscreed, sami and 9 others like this.
  2. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I am more prone to the nocebo effect. Watching House M.D. was always a fun experience.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I once thought the CD was the cat’s meow~

4. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Yes I've CDs with green edges.

Lou Ming likes this.
  5. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Many many years ago, I was convinced that R*ss And**ws mains purifiers would solve a problem I didn't know I had & couldn't even hear.

The improvement in performance I noticed was in direct proportion to the amount I had spent. Very clever.

6. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Just the other day inspired by a thread on here I decided to swap out a set of my expensive interconnects with the stock red and white pair I had previously cast aside. By golly it sounded better in some ways, and I really enjoyed the sound of it! But the next day after thinking about this surprising result, I listened again and thought something was amiss, so I switched back and what an improvement!

basie-fan, petertakov and PhilBiker like this.
  7. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

This tale has nothing to do with the placebo effect. The OP took the time and effort to dial in a sub using the controls provided. Real changes, including electronic and location adjustments too presumably, are real, not placebo.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  8. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

With or without speaker grills anyone?

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

With. Little fingers live here.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

You missed the next to last sentence, it would seem.

11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

:laugh:

12. G E

G E Senior Member

I strongly recommend experimentation with single malt scotch. Neat.

Seafinch, sami and Kyhl like this.
  13. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

To each thier Dulcinea...

doctor fuse likes this.
  14. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

My experience with cables is the same. I never got really expensive cables because I don't have really expensive gear, but I used to have a host of Audioquest and other brand name cables in my system. I sold all the ones I could recoup any money for and use decent but not expensive cables now.

A bottle of wine is most definitely not a placebo! A glass of beer does the same thing for me. :)

15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The moderators have noticed that the OP is on a roll, first his "CABLE SCAM" thread was removed by the moderators, then his attempt to do it again, calling it a much more innocent "RCA INTERCONNECT CABLE COMPARISON" was not going his way, and now this thread, also in Audio Hardware, with an even more provoking title.

The moderators look darkly on people who come here with one agenda. I'd branch out a bit if I were you.

ceynon likes this.
  16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

40 years ago...yes. :agree:

PhilBiker likes this.
  17. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Aaaaaaaargh! :agree:

18. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Private board that's publicly accessible, and the board owner absolutely sets the rules. Then again, with 20 or more likes on the original post and plenty of likes for other similar and rationally expressed posts, it's always possible that a significant number of people who actually populate the board on a regular basis may be sending a positive message about particular subjects. It's a possible conclusion. Or not.

Robert C, Rolltide, basie-fan and 7 others like this.
  19. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Beatles SHM-CD's......

20. petertakov

petertakov Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have absolutely no agenda and I am just visiting this forum for fun and to find out about new releases. I don't think I have broken any rule with any of my posts but obviously that is not enough to stop the moderators doing as they wish. Luckily my life does not depend on their approval and I have no interest in being able to post here anyway if I am not allowed to write what I think. I am eastern-european and I have been warned and looked at way darker by people way scarier, although, surprisingly, on similar grounds :)))))

Jimi Floyd, jimbutsu, rod and 13 others like this.
  21. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

op
    that story is very funny
    its not the first time Ive heard about engineer/recordings guy, tweaking with a eq a track for 20 minutes and make it sounds just right, just to realize the eq was bypass.

in audio, the psychology is very serious. we are bias by what we see, how big the speakers are, our attachement to a certain designer or piece of gear/brand, ect.

harman have shown that quite a bit convincingly.
    Audio Musings by Sean Olive: The Dishonesty of Sighted Listening Tests »

PhilBiker, Tim S and petertakov like this.
  22. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

You are off topic, this is about the placebo effect. What you describe is the nocebo effect! ;)

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  23. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

Ok, this really is called the nocebo effect!

24. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It's all obvious now. It wasn't at the time. I had convinced myself that MP3 and CD were audibly transparent. With my gear and ears at the time, they were. I've since gotten better gear and have learned how to use my ears. I view that experience as an occupational hazard of being an engineer and initially viewing audio quality as an engineering problem. I've since learned the errors of my past ways.

(my off topicness is due to giving the opposite type of placebo change than the OP intended, and that was intentional) ;)

petertakov likes this.
  25. David756

David756 Active Member

MP3 sucks, that is not in dispute in my mind, but a couple of other lossy algorithms, the experience was the other way around for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.