The most sought after "Director's Cuts" that are still lost

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by C6H12O6, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I''m pretty sure *all* the F13 films suffered at the hands of the censors before release... they all needed trims to obtain their R-ratings. One of the DVD box sets contains some of the deleted footage as a bonus, but I agree it should be restored and re-inserted back into the films.

paulisdead likes this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, Part VII in particular was hacked to bits (pun intended). I think most of the cut footage might only exist on VHS tapes at this point so a full restoration is probably impossible for most (all?) of the films.

3. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

Nashville the 5-6 hour version

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Have to disagree with your overall view of the film. Kiss Me Stupid has many wonderful moments, great performances from Dino and Cliff Osmond. It's almost a classic. What's keeping it from that status is, as you point out, the miscasting of Walston as a substitute for Sellers. Osmond himself said that Sellers was brilliant in his few weeks of work on the film: "Walston was OK, but Sellers was a genius".

5. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

SMiLE, from the December 1966 Brian Wilson comp reel.

supermd likes this.
  6. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

The Friday films are known for their pre-release censorship. So far, only the first movie has surfaced uncut (due to it being released uncut internationally).

Here are some more scenes in the series that were either cut or reshot.

7 Friday the 13th Scenes You Will Never See | Friday the 13th: The Website »

A Nightmare On Elm Street is another series to suffer the censors blade in the digital age. When parts 1 & 5 were released theatrically, they were cut for a R rating.

On video (VHS/Laserdisc) they were released uncut. However the DVD and BluRay's used the censored theatrical prints. This was a massive oversight even how indepth the Elm Street DVD box set was.

Wes Craven was fine with the uncut version being released on Laserdisc and VHS. He even mentioned in the Elite Laserdisc commentary how he hated the cuts (which is even funnier that this was ported over to the DVD and BluRay).

So the complete versions are only out there in the analogue world. Elite's D-2 mastertapes of the Laserdiscs were sold this year to a private collector through a Laserdisc Facebook page. God I hope New Line Cinema still have the negatives. :sigh:

Rocker likes this.
  7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There is a great bootleg extended cut of the first A Nightmare On Elm Street movie that's really well done.

8. paulisdead

And speaking of Wes Craven - Scream's uncut Director's Cut is still only available on Laserdisc and VHS everywhere but Germany.

But an uncut version sourced from a negative or print would better.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Does anyone know if there's a Director's Cut of "Scream"? And if so, where it's available? Not sure about that one...

10. paulisdead

Sorry about the multiple posts - btw.

Oatsdad likes this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh yeah, no doubt. :)

12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they have been showing director cut's on the pay channels lately:

any given sunday and couple of others that i can't think of right now.

13. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Two-Lane Blacktop complete with skinny-dipping scene

ssmith3046 likes this.
  14. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I'd just like to see the version that has *dialogue*.

kevywevy likes this.
  15. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

That would ruin it for me

knob twirler and jupiter8 like this.
  16. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This existed?

17. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I've seen both theatrical and DC of Alien and Aliens. I will agree and even Ridley Scott felt that scene was not needed, but the studio wanted something to create a Director's cut, and that's all that was left of any significant scenes.
    As for Aliens - the extra scenes are: Ripley seeing a picture of her late daughter. The colonists investigating the Alien ship, Hudsons' bragging to Ripley in the drop-ship scene, the automated gun system scenes, the "hive" discussion, the "Ellen" scene with Hicks. There might be more, but these are off the top of my head. IMO, it was neat to see these scenes, but felt most deserved to get edited out of the final theatrical cut.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

at some point, I know Pauline Kael saw it , might've been more of a rough cut at that point but I wouldn't mind

19. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Somehow I think as time gies by this iron clad contract will be become rust. People, money, and time will win.

20. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

"Smokey IS The Bandit".

Thwacko, knob twirler and Dan Kennedy like this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes! I'd love to see this!

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

A lot of that boils down to time and money and who's in control. For all we know, Kubrick may have had a contract with Warners that basically said, "you only have the rights to the final released versions and can never use the outtakes for any reason." Apparently, the daughter, Vivian, is a bit of a nut and had a falling-out with her father in the late 1980s, and I don't know who else is in control of the estate.

23. paulisdead

Didn't Leon Varali burn all of Kubrick's outtakes?

Why Stanley Kubrick Burned His Outtakes »

24. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

All I've been able to find is the teaser trailer, with Gleason spoofing Patton, of all things, and a single still photo of Jackie dressed up as the Bandit. Has anyone found anything else?

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I think that's all that's been released.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.