The MP3 is officially dead according to its creators.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Classicrock, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I know, but I get the feeling Ponzi thinks the audio stored on a regular CD or music CD-R is in a format.

2. Ponzio

Ponzio Forum Resident

What can I say? I'm a very lucky guy. Maybe it's because I have the latest software version using Windows 10 Pro (64) on my PC. And yes, after I embed the jpeg on the tracks I won't be able to see the pic in Explorer when I highlight a track. But it does work in my car, Oppo Blu-ray player or using the DNLA server software on my PC to my Yamaha AVR.

Check out the "Supported Audio Formats" towards the bottom of the page.
    Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

The ongoing issue with WAV tagging is that's there's no real standard. So you literally are lucky, as you stated - your devices all seem to work so far.

Ponzio likes this.
  4. Ponzio

Ponzio Forum Resident

as of "Mp3tag v2.76 — This version adds support for the WAV audio format and includes other fixes and minor changes." and above on 2016-04-16

5. Ponzio

Ponzio Forum Resident

so far, so good

Gaslight likes this.
  6. mds

mds Forum Resident

I use MP3Tag, it is my go to program when I have files that do not read properly or are missing basic info such as album art work. This is a magical program and works so well and is freeware. I donate to the programmer through PayPal which I rarely do with freeware programs, but this one is such a go to program that it is only right that they receive some compensation from me. I however have never tagged WAVE files due to the fact I never use them. I have tagged FLAC and MP3 files and it does a fantastic job at allowing lots of information to be added to the file. This is my go to when I make a CD mix in which multiple artists from multiple album are being compiled and I want the mix to hold together as an album in both album name and artist name so the files can be moved to other programs without fracturing my mix.

JimmyCool and Ponzio like this.
  7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The question is: are you burning data discs, or regular red-book standard CD-R?

Anyway, .wav wastes space. Why not just use .flac or lossless .wma? They are both lossless and are exactly the same as having .wav.

JimmyCool likes this.
  8. Ponzio

Ponzio Forum Resident

I'm burning data discs (Roxio) that my car/dvd/avr recognize as audio. Back in the day (pre-2007) I would burn selected tracks on a CD-R disc in WAV for a playlist mix. Moved on to FLAC or MP3 later on with CD-R discs. Nowadays I just use a flash drive with MP3's with a CBR (constant bit rate) of 320 kbps. Good enough for government work in a car. Initially when I get a CD nowadays I just convert it to FLAC for critical listening at home, on my storage drive(s), and then convert individual tracks into MP3's for everyday use.

I still beg to differ about the WAV vs. FLAC issue. But hey that's why Baskins & Robbins make 31 flavors, right? ;)

9. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

From what I understand about the Red Book standard for CDs is that the data is not stored as direct data (reading a stream of 0s and 1s). Instead, the data is stored in the bit changes in the data stream. It works like this:
    • Going from 0 to 0 = 0
    • Going from 0 to 1 = 1
    • Going from 1 to 1 = 0
    • Going from 1 to 0 = 1

Grant likes this.
  10. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I worked in the radio business for about 18 years and in the mid to late 90's the station I was working at used MP2 files for commercials. We would e-mail them to whoever needed them. We were still playing our music on CD at the time but about 6 months before I left for another market we had made the switch to digital audio and all of the songs were MP2. Even before I left a lot of the commercials were being changed over to MP3 because they were easier to e-mail because of the smaller size. And you're correct, for the most part the audio quality wasn't as important on commercials as it was on the music. After I left there I took a programming job at a classic rock station (cluster of 4 stations) and the Top 40 station was playing a song that sounded dreadful. I asked the PD where it came from and he said "I needed it so I downloaded it from Napster!". I told him it sounded terrible and looked at the file and it was MP3 128 kbps. I explained that it was extremely compressed and the Optimod settings for that station were also on high compression making the song unlistenable. I told him playing a song of that quality would drive away listeners faster than a stiff single!

JimmyCool and vwestlife like this.
  11. mds

mds Forum Resident

As long as the car I own will only play audio discs and mp3 files, mp3s will live in my life. I've been ripping my CD collection to file format and make both FLAC and constant 320 kbps MP3 files for every CD I rip. I love the fact that MP3 plays on more units than does other forms of file compression. In addition it is really hard to tell the quality difference between the FLAC files and my constant 320 kbps MP3 files since I use a very high constant bite rate. On a long car trip I just pull over a disc worth of MP3 files and burn them onto the disc. Now I have one disc for my four hour or multi day car trips. MP3s are not dead in my house.

Ponzio likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.