"THE NAT KING COLE STORY" - from Acoustic Sounds, new 38 song 45 vinyl & SACD sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dale 88, Nov 16, 2010.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm Thread Starter

Like the other titles, I think a separate thread will be needed. I searched for a previous thread specifically about this set, checked it twice, but didn't find one.

The current listing today at the Acoustic Sounds site says that the 5 disc 45 vinyl is coming December 09, 2010. That is not very far away, and I'm hopin' for a vinyl package delivery that day. :angel:

2. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

hope you are right, I want this from Santa for sure...

3. farmingdad

farmingdad Forum Resident

Its on my list!

4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I pre-ordered this yesterday. I can't wait! I have all the other 45s from the series, but this is really going to be special, I'm sure.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

A must own for me.

6. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Now, unfortunately, pushed back another two weeks to the 23rd. Still nothing regarding this SACD.

Late January dates have also been set for the SACDs of Where Did Everyone Go? and After Midnight, but obviously that may change.

7. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

From the cover of the winter 2010 Acoustic Sounds print catalog.

nkc_story_ad_cover.jpg

:love:

8. vintage_tube

vintage_tube Enjoying Life & Music

Golly 23 Dec -- I've had this on preorder since 6/22/10. Seems like ages ago. Oh well, If it's like the other NKC releases, this 45 set will be worth the wait.

Bob

9. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm Thread Starter

It is evidently really going to happen. Just received the "New Arrivals" email newsletter from Acoustic Sounds about an hour ago. Besides the photos of the two new SACDs which are now shipping, it pictures the vinyl version of The Nat King Cole Story as "45 rpm Shipping Monday".

So it's shipping January 3, Monday --Hooray, hooray!

10. apileocole

:goodie: Thanks for the update! :wave:

11. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

I think I'm going to hold off on pulling the trigger on these until the The Nat King Cole Story comes out on SACD. Then I'll order all seven at once. That way, I'll only have to get "the look" once from my wife. :D

12. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

She isn't taking very good care of those disks, is she? ;)

WMTC and The Killer like this.
  13. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I preordered the SACD set from Acoustic Sounds on March 5th. They still don't show a release date.

14. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

:righton:
    (I know the feeling....)

15. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

Don't mean to go too far off-topic, but I got "After Midnight" in the mail yesterday, even though Acoustic Sounds still shows it as a pre-order. That tells me there is hope for the others.

16. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

The NKC Story SACD was one of my most anticipated releases of '10, and is now my most anticipated release of '11.

17. apileocole

If ya put it aside for a while you can make it the most anticipated release of 2012! :winkgrin:

(Been hoping for a good CD release of The NKC Story ever since Capitol finally started issuing CDs in 1986! So it turned out to have taken 25 years...)

18. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have this title pre-ordered on SACD.

19. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Forum Resident

Just got a notice from Acoustic Sounds the LP set has just shipped, and should be at my office on Friday! Woohoo!!:righton:

20. apileocole

Excellent news, thanks. :goodie:

21. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident

Can someone fill in the back story --- isnt this the set that had re-recordings of hits? It was on CD in the early 90's - correct?

22. apileocole

Okay. Many artists had been re-recording highlights for some years, first for Hi-Fi (LP) and then for stereo; usually these also served as a sort of de facto Anthology or Hits comp. In an expansive series of sessions through 1961, Nat re-recorded a number of his hits for the bulk of an anthology. Original arrangements were used with tasteful adaptations (such as to fill out orchestration a bit more for stereo presentation, as opposed to being done to follow trends), often conducted by the original arrangers and including many original musicians as well. Nat didn't phone it in or do a poor attempt to sing like he used to, but instead used his current vocal approach. Results are that the remakes are generally thought to differ but not be inferior to the originals (some originals are sometimes favored and surprisingly, visa versa in some cases). For more recent tracks which were recorded in stereo, the original versions are present. A deluxe package (canvas cover box, booklet with photos etc) was offered and showed Capitol's genuine pride that they had in one of their prime (and founding) talents.

Stripped of the deluxe box, with the big box booklet reduced to a plain CD booklet, with a mistake or two of wrong takes and all heavily reprocessed with NoNoise and so on by Bob Norberg, The NKC Story was released on CD for the first and so far only time in 1991. It has been OOP for some time. The AP release is the first time it has been reissued in something akin to its original form on LP and the first time it has been issued in something akin to its original form on CD. Only - thanks to Steve's mix and mastering from the original session parts, additional liner by Jordan Taylor and the addition of two more of his subsequent hits - better. :)

23. coleman

coleman Forum Resident

Apileocole, is it known whether Norberg remastered the UK version of this as well? That's the version I have and his name is nowhere to be found. Or perhaps, the UK version was the only version produced?

24. apileocole

Supposed to be the same but I haven't personally heard one (UK vers) to say for certain.

25. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

Can anyone tell me what version of The Christmas song is on this set? Is it the one from his 1961 Christmas album?