The New Beat: What Brazilian music are you listening to now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazdoc

jazdoc Forum Resident

Been enjoying this original mono pressing:

[​IMG]

s m @, lobo, bluejimbop and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mellow moods...

[​IMG]

Amoroso - Joao Gilberto (Warner Bros)

Arranged And Composed by Claus Ogerman

Recorded 1977 & 1977

Released as part of EU Warner/Atlantic series Brasil Superstar 1200 series.

Japanese print inside sleeve/booklet.

If you are familiar with any of Joao Gilberto's recordings you will already know what to expect.

The opening track is the only one sung in English, but don't let that put you off! Everything else is song in Portuguese (I think) and that, along with the beautiful orchestration all adds to the superb and beautiful mellow vibes.

Antonio Carlos Jobim co-wrote 4 of the 8 tracks.

The sound on the CD is excellent.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. deleted

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  4. Another CD released as part of EU Warner/Atlantic series Brasil Superstar 1200 series.

[​IMG]

Herbie Mann & Joao Gilberto with Antonio Carlos Jobim | Recorded In Rio De Janeiro (Atlantic)

[​IMG]

A (slightly confusing) compilation, but one that is really well put together. It did take me a while to figure out exactly what was what though.

There are 7 wonderful Joao Gilberto tracks, all licensed from Joao's Odeon recordings, circa 1959-1961. There is no Herbie involvement on any of these.

4 tracks are taken from Herbie Mann's excellent Atlantic album Do The Bossa Nova (recorded 1962) and 1 track is lifted from his album Latin Fever, another Atlantic LP (recorded 1964). There is no Joao involvement on any of the Herbie tracks.

Antonio Carlos Jobim arranges all 7 Joao Gilberto tracks and arranges 3 from the Herbie Mann selection. He's also sings lead vocal on one of the Herbie tracks.

The CD, made in the EU, has a great sound so no worries on that front. Recording info in the CD booklet is printed in Japanese.

I already had all 5 Herbie Mann tracks (on the two albums mentioned above) but that did not take anything away from my enjoyment of thIs delightful compilation.

For anyone missing out on any of this music I would not hesitate to recommend this CD to you.

SkeletonPete and panasoffkee like this.
  5. [​IMG]

Urubu - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Warner Bros.)

with Orchestra arranged and conducted by Claus Ogerman

Recorded 1975

Sound on CD is excellent.

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I have this reissue as well, sound IS excellent, and this is such a great album.

bluejimbop likes this.
  7. I'm having a great time catching up with all these killer Jobim titles.

[​IMG]

The Wonderful World of Antonio Carlos Jobim - Antonio Carlos Jobim (Warner Bros.)

The Brazilian Mood * With Nelson Riddle

Recorded 1965

Again, sound on CD is excellent.

panasoffkee likes this.
  8. Smegman

Smegman Forum Resident

I don't know how many of you are aware of, but there's a pressing plant in Brazil producing 180g vinyl editions of local classic rock and pop. It's called Polysom. The debate around local collectors is, of course, the sources. Until a few years ago Polysom was using CDs (Yes, regular retail CDs) to cut records. Many people claim that now they're using master tapes, but still converting to digital.

bluejimbop likes this.
  9. Warner used the 'Wonderful World' photo again for this very generous 28 track compilation.

[​IMG]

Composer: Antonio Carlos Jobim (Warner Archives)

The entire 12 tracks from The Wonderful World of Antonio Carlos Jobim are included.

There are two important tracks from the 1966 album Love, Strings And Jobim.

The entire 10 tracks from the 1967 album A Certain Mr. Jobim album are included
    plus there are a further 4 bonus tracks from those 1967 A Certain Mr Jobim sessions that were previously unreleased. All 4 tracks are alternate versions.

16 page booklet included.

For any newcomers especially this is an amazing (introductory) CD.

Once again the sound on the disc is excellent throughout.

southamorican, raphph and panasoffkee like this.
  10. Thanks again to this thread I have just got hold of this absolutely sublime album.

[​IMG]

Joao Gilberto - Joao Gilberto (EmArcy) CD

Recorded 1973

[​IMG]

11. Time for another Jobim treat....

[​IMG]

Jobim - Antonio Carlos Jobim (MCA|Verve by Request) CD

Arranged & conducted by Claus Ogerman

Recorded 1973

The original Philips LP sleeve....

[​IMG]

Lonson and Xabby like this.
  12. Lonson

I love that one. If you can find the Philips cd with that cover it sounds really really good, a bit better than the Verve issue (at least on my system).

13. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I've heard that too... :) I mean, I understand a bit of Portuguese, but I really have to concentrate if I want to understand the lyrics of a song sung in a foreign language. My brain capacity is limited, obviously. Whatever, in this special case you probably should just inmerse in the music and don't concentrate to hard on the lyrics... ;) All this new age guru stuff can get ridiculuous at times, but the emotions behind the words are real and that's enough for me.

bluejimbop and Naughty Chord like this.
  14. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

I am listened now Belchior, a great brazillian artist that saddly died yesterday.
    [​IMG]

southamorican likes this.
  15. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Rehearsal clips for the Bateria I am a member of.

16. Already mentioned up-thread so checking it out was a must for me, and it is a real beauty!

[​IMG]

Elis & Tom - Elis Regina & Antonio Carlos Jobim (EmArcy/Philips) CD

Recorded 1974

[​IMG]

Xabby and southamorican like this.
  17. Lonson

Been enjoying this one this week. Carminho, Daniel and Paulo Jobim, Jacques Morelenbaum and Paulo Braga. Excellent!

[​IMG]

18. Another Tom Jobim combination album...

[​IMG]

Miucha & Antonio Carlos Jobim (RCA/Sony)

Recorded 1977

[​IMG]

I had my doubts about getting this one whenever I noticed the CD was made in Poland.

I liked what I could hear of it but unfortunately the listening enjoyment was spoiled because of several glitches throughout the disc.

Track 1 has 2 glitches near the end of the track.

There must a problem with the entire CD batch because the replacement copy I was sent had the exact same errors as the first one. Both discs were checked on different players just to make sure it was not a fault in the player.

This is a first time I have encountered these digital disc errors.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    bluejimbop likes this.
  19. Another CD album I recently purchased after seeing it posted several times on the Jazz sections of the forum.

[​IMG]

Getz/Gilberto '76 - Joao Gilberto | Stan Getz (Resonance)

[​IMG]

Such lovely stuff!

panasoffkee likes this.
  20. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

I realize we are very much in the minority but some of us don't care for Stan Getz' playing, especially with Brazilian music. I ain't try'na ruin nobody's time, so I won't go into detail but we're out here. It gets tiresome to think you're about to make a Brazilian connection with someone and the next two words outa their mouth are "Stan Getz".
    There, I've said it. :hide:

Jacline likes this.
  21. JMGuerr

JMGuerr Forum Resident

Vintage baião and forró.... Luiz Gonzaga, also vintage João Gilberto (Chega de Saudade)

bluejimbop and panasoffkee like this.
  22. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

[​IMG]

New album just released. Not their best after a first listening

panasoffkee likes this.
  23. Lonson

I can totally understand that. Getz was actually a taste I acquired, and his bossa nova playing is not my favorite playing of his, and I enjoy those recordings often more for the Brazilian players' contributions than that of Getz.

And it is sad that this pioneering music from Brazil by masters such as Gilberto, De Moraes, Jobim, et al may be associated by many Americans with Getz rather than the creators. Such is life.

Jacline and bluejimbop like this.
  24. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

25. WalterDigsTunes

WalterDigsTunes Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.