The New Beat: What Brazilian music are you listening to now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

Excellent thread!

I just took delivery of "Nicola Conte presents: Viagem 5 - Lost Bossa and Samba Jazz Classics from the Swinging Brazilian '60s." So far I like it better than "Viagem 4"! Really stellar stuff!

I also picked up a bunch of Japanese import CD reissues of Sergio Mendes (not Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66) albums originally released on Atlantic and Capitol records. Also excellent stuff!

I do love my Brazilian music!

2. Wade

Wade Well-Known Member

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

4. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Nice to see props for Marcos Valle! I've got to get these new Light in the Attic reissues of his seventies output.

5. AxeD

AxeD Forum Resident

6. Voynich

Voynich Forum Resident

7. Lonson

Yes I'm a Veloso fan. If you ever want to make a woman swoon, take her to a Veloso concert. . . .

8. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I like his Re-trilogy.

9. uphoria6

uphoria6 Senior Member

Tom Ze, Tom Ze, Tom Ze.....the vinyl box set Studies of Tom Zé: Explaining Things So I Can Confuse You could be proof of God. Also Lo Borges self titled album from 1972 is excellent.

10. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Great thread!!!

I'm pretty new to Brazilian music so my collection isn't that big but here are some of my current favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  11. Lonson

Those are all favorites of mine as well!

jiffypopinski likes this.
  12. jiffypopinski

That's a great comp! There's another comp on the Soul Jazz label called Bossa Nova & The Rise of Brazilian Music in the 1960's that's really sweet!

I've also become interested in the music of Hermeto Pascoal. There's been some recent reissues of his 70s albums in Japan that I decided to pick up since I love what I've heard... the Slaves Mass album in particular is wild!

I also got this amazing box from the great Milton Nascimento. Can't wait to dig in!

[​IMG]

3ringcircus likes this.
  13. jiffypopinski

It was actually your post in the Jazz Beat thread that inspired me to pick up that Jobim CD. One of the best moves I've made! Such a fantastic album!

14. Lonson

Amen!

Right now
    [​IMG]

fenderesq likes this.
  15. Lonson

Looks like a great set. Maybe one day I'll try to find a not so expensive copy.

Right now
    [​IMG]

16. Lonson

[​IMG]

Miche likes this.
  17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I bought this one yesterday... liked the graphics.

[​IMG]

18. Lonson

Too bad it's on Chesky (I'm just not a fan of their recordings sound).

19. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Hard to tell from the online samples, but I hadn't bought a Chesky recording in ~ 25 years. We'll see.

Also bought yet another release of the famous Getz/Gilberto — I have no idea how many different ones I actually have. This time it's the AP SACD which is said here to be one of the best digital transfers. I hate to sound arrogant, but I must admit that I have rarely been impressed with the sound of recordings based on descriptions here.

20. Lonson

I'm not that fussy about re-masterings myself, I've only a Verve lp and cd of the Getz/Gilberto and they work for me! I'm more fussy about the original recordings and I find a lot of "audiophile" original recordings to be not quite to my taste. The Chesky sound just seems more like a "recording" to me than some other recordings do, I find myself liking a lot of the music on their releases but wishing they were recorded differently. But that's me, I'm a firm believer in individual perception of aural events and I know others can and do hear things differently.

Right now, legendary stuff indeed!
    [​IMG]

StacyAtlas83 likes this.
  21. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Just discovered this album, too. It is wild.

My initial expose to them and this genre- tropicalia- was this wonderful comp:

http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Jazz-Rec...TF8&qid=1373380815&sr=1-1&keywords=tropicalia

panasoffkee likes this.
  22. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

23. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

[​IMG]

This is a contemporary recording, Brazilian kind of soul.
    Liner notes say it's recorded in as a tribute to the late Tim Maia.
    Very good songs and strong musicanship.
    Giveaway prices on Amazon...

24. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

In 2007, the Brazilian Rolling Stone put together a list of the Top 100 Brazilian records of all time, which might prove inspirational for this thread. It's also quite interesting to see the "domestic" view.

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Lista_dos_100_maiores_discos_da_música_brasileira_pela_Rolling_Stone_Brasil

It's a little surprising to find Novos Baianos at the top, but it's a great record for sure.

As to what I'm listening to now... Well, I recently discovered this interesting arrangement of Jorge Ben's "Take It Easy My Brother Charles," and I have to say I really like it.

leshafunk likes this.
  25. Lonson

One of my favorite recordings of any kind this century.

[​IMG]

SteelyTom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.