The New Beat: What Brazilian music are you listening to now?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Jul 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I love the mood on this album, however it was never considered as his best.

Jacline and panasoffkee like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Marcos Amorim "Sea of Tranquility" Adventure Music, Brazil

[​IMG]

One of the many great releases on the Adventure Music label.

panasoffkee and Jacline like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Toninho Horta & Nicola Stilos "Duets" Adventure Music Records. Beautiful flute and classical guitar duets (with Horta vocals as well).

Jacline and Rick Robson like this.
  4. roman.p

roman.p Forum Resident

One of my favourite recent Brazilian albums. Fantastic compositions and guitar playing, great singing and piano by guest Délia Fischer.

Jacline, Rick Robson and Lonson like this.
  5. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Been having some good fun hearing again and also for the first time some cool music posted on here....
    Particularly loving that must-have version of the Villa-Lobos Bachianas No. 5 performed by John Williams on acoustic guitar and Nana M. on vocals. Thanks for that!

Jacline and Lonson like this.
  6. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Having heard again some of the material already posted on this thread, I found interesting to listen again to some music that I had somehow forgotten among my Brasilian classics, and yeah... again a pleasure feeling those good times coming back again...

Sharing some of my faves, btw veering a bit from the most well-known brasilian musicians. Marco Antônio Araújo was perhaps one of the greatest in bringing classical elements into his exhilarating compositions.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Jacline likes this.
  7. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Crazy fun album :)

southamorican and Jacline like this.
  8. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Yes, I know: a Mexican song, but it's Caetano. I hope you will forgive me. :)

Caetano Veloso, "Cucurrucucú Paloma," from the Pedro Almodovar movie Talk to Her (2002).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Rick Robson likes this.
  9. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Right now in the headphones: going back to Milton, who had the strongest impact on my life as far as Brazilian music goes.

[​IMG]

Nascimento (1997).

bluejimbop and Rick Robson like this.
  10. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

^Right on, Milton is quite something indeed. His album 'Minas' is my favourite, one that in my opinion epitomises the diverse elements that make for a really eclectic artist he is. This is my fave track off it:

Jacline likes this.
  11. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Yeah of course it's a cool choice of yours Jacline :agree:, notice that Caetano Veloso rendered a song style quite different from the original mexican version, or better saying he put his own identity there.
    Take a load of how similar in style is the song below (which belongs in my all-time Caetano favourite 'trinity' along with "Alegria Alegria" and "Tropicalia"):

Caetano Veloso - Onde Andarás (1967)

Jacline likes this.
  12. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

I haven't yet scrolled back the whole 23 pages; anyway sure as hell Zé Ramalho deserves mention, albeit no glamour nor the sophistication of the Bossa Nova, nor the typical brasilian swing , but plenty of a seamlessly spirituous music appeal (well, I have to say - he's my favourite composer over Caetano Veloso and Milton Nascimento.) :tiphat:

panasoffkee and Jacline like this.
  13. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Tuzé De Abreu (2002)

I believe this is his only solo album. Good music for the fans of Caetano Veloso.

Jacline likes this.
  14. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

So, leshafunk, another eccentric Brazilian dude, that Tuzé. :) A bit like Tom Zé, yes?

I would really love to know how that... marginal (?) style of music was born in Brazil. I will read up on that.

15. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Listening to Caetano V.'s little sister now:

[​IMG]

Maria Bethânia, Imitação da Vida (recorded live in 1996, I think).

16. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

Eccentric like Tom Ze and melodic like Caetano Veloso.
    The guy who traded me this album warned that "it's eccentric" and that "most people do not dig this kind of music".

Jacline likes this.
  17. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Well, I do dig it. :agree:
    Thanks, my friend.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  18. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Sergio Mendes and Brazil 66...

Jacline likes this.
  19. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Yes! At the time, my parents loved this album. I was contaminated right there and then. ;)
    Thanks for reminding me, Michael.
    :thumbsup:

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

I love them...I have all of their albums! My Mom got me into them when I was very young...she loved playing records...played them every day. She got me into many different singers, bands back in the 60's...and she was a Beatles fan.: )

Jacline likes this.
  21. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Yes indeed his 2002 release (LARRÁLIBUS ESCUMÁLICUS CUJOLÉLIBUS) is his first solo effort where he now flatters with some experimentalism after a fairly old career of decades collaborating with contributions to Walter Smetak and to the sixties movement called 'Tropicalia', founded by Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil and Gal Costa - an ambitious progressist artistic project which took profit of ambiguous lyrics to mock the dictatorship regime that reigned in my country back then.
    On his debut, Tunzé de Abreu, although still treading on the traditional roots of that movement (samba, latin and psychedelic influences, and afro-reggae), he brilliantly manages to add a totally new spirit to that one of the 'tropicalism'. While re-editing some of the 60's works like 'Meteorango' or 'Vestido de Malha', his sheer originality is evidenced on his brand new compositions present as well on that album. Also interesting of notice is his rich and varied background scope of musical influences - the odd 'Mister' was composed based on a theme by Wolfgang A. Mozart!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    leshafunk and Jacline like this.
  22. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

So, in two words: a charmed childhood. :)
    Good for you.

I think parents who make their kids listen to all kinds of music from the start, when the children are very young, definitely know best.

Now playing:

Gilberto Gil, "Andar Com Fe."

Michael likes this.
  23. Michael

yes, I was lucky to have a musical Mom who appreciated many different types of music.

Jacline likes this.
  24. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I picked up a bunch of Brazilian LPs recently that I'm going to be offering in the Classifieds as a lot very soon.

25. southamorican

southamorican Forum Resident

Just got the LP reissue of Miguel de Deus's Black Soul Brothers (1977).

[​IMG]

Miguel was a member of Os Brazões, who released a self-titled psychedelic (and now cult) album in 1969, and were a backing band for Gal Costa, Tom Zé and Jards Macalé. He later formed the Secos-&-Molhados-inspired Assim Assado, who also released a self-tiled album, in 1974, before taking up funk and soul music for his first solo project. Quite a crazy record, his singing is an acquired taste (to say the least) and the lyrics are absurd, but the funk is infectious. Produced by hilarious Argentinean DJ/producer Mister Sam and never released on CD... An original in good shape is almost impossible to find now, so this is a very welcome reissue from Portuguese label Groovie Records. Includes a cool insert with many photos and text in both Portuguese and English. A must-have! :righton:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    neruda and Jacline like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.