The new color palette of Hollywood films: Orange and Teal

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Go back to black and white.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I'm colorblind but that was fascinating. Thanks for posting it.

4. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

great read, thanks for posting. It was funny and somewhat unbelievable, even if true

5. Jay F

Jay F New Member

6. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

7. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Computers are taking the place of rigorous lighting in films, apparently....

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That was interesting. I think this sort of thing had occurred to my subconscious mind, but glad somebody put it out there where I would notice it.

I also like the mentioning bout digital colorization, and the power this tool has on restricting/enhancing the palette for what's capable in color these days. I've been a staunch supporter of colorization for years, precisely for this reason: once people get a feel for the concept and the tool, it moves from craft to art; if it's roundly reviled with such a limiting criticism as, "putting a mustache on the Mono Lisa", it never gets the chance to reach its' potential. :cheers:

9. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

If you read the comments, there are posts which point out this is nothing new (maybe the contrast/saturation portion) but not teal/orange. There are links to stills from films (Spartacus being one) who use this gradient.

10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Hollywood loves a bandwagon.

The choice could have been worse. They could have used a couple of the "in" colors from the fifties -- turquoise and pink.:)

11. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

This seems similar the way a lot of bands were photographed in the mid-90s.

A good example is the cover of Oasis' "Supersonic" single: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersonic_%28Oasis_song%29

You could tell the look right off, but I was never sure what technique was. It seemed to me that there was some kind of limited palette being used, and usually no reds and lots of blues and blacks contrasting with blown out white flesh tones.

12. I Am The Lolrus

I Am The Lolrus New Member

bingo, "post processing" in general today is just a nightmare. Idiots are truncating to make films "darker" and then boost the contrast to make it "pop" without regard to any quality, they are forcing massive color shifts to make it look "cool" or "moody" like the hard orange or the nasty green tint. Almost everything these guys are doing screams amateur. Have you guys seen some of the atrocities on bluray? :realmad:

13. wave

wave Forum Resident

Wait, are you telling me Megan Fox isn't...orange?!

No kidding. After The Matrix every movie seemed liked a dingy green-fest.

14. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Maybe this was all vidiot's idea?:winkgrin:

15. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I'm not one to jump on the 'everything new sucks' bandwagon but I do agree that this trend is out of control and horrible!

It doesn't make me as ill as the gonzo obnoxious everything hand held trend, but it's getting close.

Fascinating read, thanks for posting!

dan c

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

My Gf has just had to design a website around a company's logo.

Guess what..its in teal!

Nothing colourwise plays nicely with teal...other than well...teal. Not even black, lol.

The rub is that this is a company that deals in paint colour tech.

17. mike65!

mike65! Senior Member

I, too, have noticed something amiss with many recent movies, but I couldn't be sure what it was. This is it. Nothing looks real. It has a forced moodiness that I do not appreciate. It's sort of like laugh tracks. I don't want to be told how a scene should affect me (well, not shoved down my throat, anyway). Good writing and acting will do me fine, thank you very much.

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

...or at least the use of colored gels and lens filters.

Regards,

19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Meh.

I'm skeptical of the article's premise.

Either way, what goes around comes around.

Two-strip technicolor from the 1930s:

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, not me. I'm always the guy arguing for a more natural look: let the movie speak for itself, and don't hit the viewer over the head with an intense, over-the-top look.

A lot of times, what happens is the filmmakers realize that there's some major flaw in their story, direction, or performances, so they basically think, "I know... we'll fix it by slamming the picture, blowing out the whites, and making all the blacks green!" In other words, they can't fix the content, but they can always change the look to make it different. (But it's rarely better.)

I don't mind people doing this in a commercial, but it gets real tedious when done for features and TV shows.

21. Dr. Bogenbroom

Chinatown, Bladerunner and Spartacus

Attached Files:

jdicarlo likes this.
  22. I Am The Lolrus

23. Dr. Bogenbroom

Interesting. That shot doesn't (my post) doesn't look to be digitally enhanced, however your two examples clearly are.

Any info on the other two?

As a side note, the two captures you posted made me recall one of the negatives of HD (aside from the DNR of course :hurl:)...MAKEUP!

24. I Am The Lolrus

Sure, some guy put up 3 comparisons here: http://whiggles.landofwhimsy.com/archives
    /2007/12/tinkering_till_perfection.html

The final cut has clear DNR, major color changes, contrast changes, and they raised the black levels truncating the data. There was apparently a sampler disc with scenes from the final cut that were without any DNR, you can see screengrabs here:http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1168464 , so perhaps someday they might put out a final final cut.

25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Overall, color in movies today is gawdawful. A few months ago, I was at the Cinerama in Portland watching a vintage print of a 1960s martial arts movie, and the picture quality was fantastic. I then went upstairs to one of the smaller theatres and saw part of WORLD'S GREATEST DAD and some other dreck that I've mercifully forgotten in theatre #3, then went back down the martial arts film. The difference was like night and day, and I see this sort of thing all the time. Depressing.

Matt