The New Gong Show: Why Aren’t You Watching It?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lightbulb, Jul 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I've seen a few episodes from the reboot and it left me with a kind of "meh" feeling.

It was a seventies thing. To me it's not the same without Chuck Barris and Gene, Gene, the Dancing Machine

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  2. intv7

intv7 Senior Member

I am watching it on Hulu. I'm perplexed by Mike Myers -- I am not sure if I like or loathe what he's doing, nor am I completely sure I understand why he's doing it. But it's a decent enough show, it's basically an ironically updated version of the original that makes it seem more like America's Got Talent, which I've been saying for years was basically The Gong Show anyway.

stuwee and lightbulb like this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

mike myers hasn't really had very much since 2012 (according to IMDB) so i am assuming he likes to eat and needed a job.

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

Saw the originals. IIRC, it was broadcast as an afternoon show, as we returned from school. Looking at it now, it's obvious what a coked-out farce it was. But like Paul Lynde's center square and the Village People, it sailed over our suburban sensibilities. Was anyone on that show sober?

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

My condolences to Mike. May his career RIP.

6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch Thread Starter

You make good points; your assessment of
    The Gong Show Talent Then, Vs Now rings true.

The talent in the 70’s seemed to be talk show (Mike Douglas, Dinah Shore, etc) rejects.

The current crop of talent must be selected from hundreds of applicants, easy.

Not only is this group, in all probability, semi-talented semi-pros, they’re fully aware how their 15 seconds (not even 15 minutes) of fame can be parlayed into an internet meme, tweet, or YouTube sensation.

Thus is just the nature of the beast, in 2018:
    A Revived TV Show (that in truth is probably fonder in memory, than when originally watching the original airings) that has become nostalgic for many.

Inevitable Awareness of that legacy.
    Everyone knows this is a “retread” show.
    Compared on a much grander scale - the Star Wars franchise, and it’s sequels.
    (One can’t erase history, nor memories of it; only hope to build upon it.)

Instant Fame For Fifteen:
    Seconds, Minutes, Hours, Or Days
    Just post your performance on Facebook.

What is this called, the “Post-Moderne Ironic Generation”, or something...?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  7. lightbulb

Yes, I was reminded of this act, also...and also others, I think it was on America’s Got Talent, perhaps...?
    I’m sorry, but acts like this don’t get awarded patents; there isn’t Exclusivity Rights granted to the first innovators.

Amongst other things,
    This show is meant as a forum for contestants to display unique talents, that few can achieve.
    This act fits the bill !

:righton:

8. lightbulb

Shhhhhhh....!!!! Don’t give it away!!!

Actually,
    If you read this thread with that ironic twist in mind, you may understand why this thread exists... maybe not.

:winkgrin:
    :laugh:
    YMMV

stuwee likes this.
  9. lightbulb

Akin to criticisms of The Who,
    I’m waiting to read another thread titled:
    Has Mike Myers Ruined His Legacy ???!?”

:p :laugh: :biglaugh:

ssmith3046 likes this.
  10. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I DID watch it a couple times. That's why I'm NOT watching it any longer.

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I gave it two more tries (it's free on demand with the cable company) and I think what I dislike about season 2 over 1 is how they cut away more and have those backstage filler bits... this means fewer acts, but then I see people with broccoli for heads at the end of episode 2 in season 2 and feel cheated that we didn't even see their act! They are still gonging some way too soon, like the alien comedian doing voices... they should be at least halfway before any gonging. So that also ruins things. Then all the ten scores where there are three way ties and stuff... it should be really hard to get a ten from any judge and almost unheard of for all three multiple times.

Tommy Maitland is a bit of Tommy Cooper meets some cheesy '70s MC. If people know Tommy Cooper and his fez hat they might see where a lot of 'Maitland' is from I think.

lightbulb likes this.
  12. telliott

telliott Senior Member

It could be fun. I am going to check it out. I'm glad it's on Hulu because I only watch ota TV first thing in the morning to get news and weather. I was going to cancel Hulu after the Roseann reboot quickly vaporized but they offered me a free month. They got me. I'm finding more and more to watch.

lightbulb likes this.
  13. lightbulb

Yeaaaah, Baby!!!

14. Myers pissed off everybody he worked with. As soon as he became unprofitable (the guru movie) Hollywood tossed him overboard and basically said "good riddance". Be nice to your co-workers everybody or you will end up hosting your profession's version of a crappy summer replacement tv game show.

fsutall and Atmospheric like this.
  15. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

The reboot needs "Gene, Gene, The Dancing Machine" to perk things up.

beccabear67 likes this.
  16. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

But I am watching it.

lightbulb likes this.
  17. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Unfortunately, he's dead.

lightbulb likes this.
  18. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

No it needs an updated version of this:

RoyalScam and Texastoyz like this.
  19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

excellent!!

20. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

You can find many new videos like that on YouTube. Just sayin...

21. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Mikey,
    When youre right, youre right!!!

:))

MikeInFla likes this.
  22. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Don’t make it for more than what it is, an absurd talent show. As Tommy says, it’s just for funsies.

dougotte, lightbulb and beccabear67 like this.
  23. Gil Griffith

Gil Griffith Well-Known Member

Why aren't we watching it? Because it's awful. Chuck Barris didn't have to pretend to be someone else as host, Mike Myers shouldn't have to either. This 'character' of his, the makeup, and his antics (or lack there of, compared to Barris) make it unwatchable for me.

24. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

WOW! That actually made it to network television! Never would happen today. And only Jaye P. Morgan had a sense of humor about it. Love that Jaye P. even more now!

Chuck: "I think she got a 12!" :uhhuh:

No Static likes this.
  25. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I stumbled across the "new" Gong Show a couple of weeks ago. I must have missed a memo cuz I didn't even know it had been revived.
    After a few minutes I found myself wondering why the host "Tommy Maitland" seemed so familiar, because to the best of my knowledge I'd never heard of him before.
    About halfway through the episode the light bulb suddenly went on and I realized "Tommy" was Mike "Austin Powers" Myers!
    From then on, the viewing experience changed from "watching a silly game show reboot" to "watching a bizarre performance art piece."

I enjoyed the new show to a degree (it brought back warm n' fuzzy memories of watching the original show with my grandparents when I was a kid) but I haven't caught it since that initial viewing.

lightbulb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.