The new Sony UHP-H1 plays everything - Blu-ray, SACD, CD, even DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Does this player's USB port only support Fat32 like other Sony players, or will it accept drives formatted other ways? I want to play .mkv files that are pretty big, so Fat32 is not good!

2. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

I'm not sure what format options are available on a Windows PC. I have Macs, so perhaps this is not a complete answer. My computers allow me to format USB thumbdrives as:

Mac OSX Extended
    ExFAT
    MS-DOS (FAT)

Of these, the only one the UHP-H1 recognizes is MS-DOS (FAT) i.e., Fat32

3. randy9700

randy9700 Indian MC Rider!

I will be able to answer this tonight. I did format the 32 GB stick I used for the test but I can't recall if I used Fat32, exFat or NTFS...I will update the thread later if someone does not post the answer by then. I think the big draw here for me and others is that we were really hoping to get a 'poor man's Oppo' for less than 1/2 the cost of the 103 (when it was available) or a 203. Clearly, at least for me, there are some serious limitations to this unit doing what I wanted it to do...That said, It is $198. Geez, I spent $139 on an Onkyo 7030 for my office that is far less versatile (no USB input, no SACD, No DVD-A or DVD-V, No BD etc. etc.) than the UHP-H1 despite it's issues and since I got a unit from Amazon Warehouse deals for $158 (+ tax) it is hard to say it was not worth the money spent. I will make the best use of it I can and hope to hope that maybe Sony releases a firmware upgrade that will solve some of it's inadequacies (Mostly gapless playback for files and Apple support).

Lownote30 likes this.
  4. Lownote30

I need it to accept NTFS format through the USB so the files can be bigger than 4 gigs.

5. Lownote30

Fat32 can only have 4 gigs (actually slightly smaller) files loaded at one time. That's the drawback of that file system format. The NTFS format can accept pretty much any size file you want. I have large .mkv files that are entire movies that I would love to be able to play off a USB stick, or external hard drive connected to the blu-ray player. That's why I ask. The Sony BDP player I have now will only recognize Fat32 via USB, and it really bugs me!

6. randy9700

Yep, I have a PC and mostly use NTFS for that exact reason. Will update the thread this afternoon when I get home from the office.

Lownote30 likes this.
  7. Lownote30

Thanks, man! Much appreciated!

8. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

I have one. Brief testing I'm totally surprised (with respect for Sony) that it's as good as it is. It 'feels' substantial despite it's small dimensions. Solid construction for a Sony unit in this range.

The SACD & DVD-A multi-channel plavback easily rivals my Oppo. Haven't used the dedicated audio HDMI but I will later today.

The BluRay and UHD playback not only looks as amazing as it should, it's lightening quick with regard to load times.

I for one could not be more impressed with this thing. Well, maybe I could but certainly not in this price range. She's a keeper.

9. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

I posted the manuals in post #346, however here they are again:

UHP-H1 Manual: https://docs.sony.com/release//Manual_4588105121.pdf

UHP-H1 Manual Additional Info: https://docs.sony.com/release//Manual_4588103121.pdf

UHP-H1 Marketing Specs: https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/UHPH1_mksp.pdf

For "File System", the Marketing Specs manual says this: FAT32/ exFAT/ NTFS

Lownote30 likes this.
  10. riddlemay

riddlemay Forum Resident

This question will show how hopelessly "out of it" I am, so begging everyone's indulgence in advance...I thought that integrated amps and pre-amps with an HDMI input had such an input for the purpose of using their own DACs. But with the UHP-H1, one presumably wants to use the DAC built into the UHP-H1, and not one that's built into the amp. So, modern integrateds contain HDMI inputs that can be used solely for the purpose of sending audio signals to the speakers? Without any digital processing going on inside the amp?

11. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, Tartifless. The de-embedder you have linked to is identical to the Kanex Pro de-embedder which darkmass linked to here:

The only reason they look different is because the Kanex Pro picture actually shows TWO Kanex Pro de-embedders placed one on top of the other so that you can see front and back at the same time! These are mighty fine little de-embedders as long as you have some way to tell them what sampling rate you want them to deliver. If they don't receive an instruction either from the source or from the destination, they will default to 44.1 kHz. But from what you way, it's working perfectly for you so that's excellent news.

12. matsel

matsel Well-Known Member

has anyone tested the analog out? I know a few people have asked and a blog review said it wasn't great, but i'm curious if anyone has actually tried it and if so, what is good or not good about it. if it is not good, can anyone recommend a player with good analog out? I listen mostly to vinyl but want this or something similar for concert blu rays and the occasional live concert download. thanks.

patient_ot likes this.
  13. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Hard to give a definitive answer to such a subjective question. If you own it, of course you have tried the analog out. But what is it plugged into? Your whole signal chain affects the SQ.
    On my system, the analog out does not sound as good as the digital out. The reason is that the analog out is plugged into a $350 integrated amp and Klipsch bookshelf speakers, and the HDMI digital out is plugged into a $2,000 DAC and B&W floorstanders.
    Bottom line: For a $200-$300 disc player/streamer, it has a tremendous amount of functionality, and performs reasonably well. Is it the state of the art? Probably not. Would I buy it again? Yes.

matsel and dbsea like this.
  14. randy9700

Ok...I can confirm that the UHP-H1 will play files from a USB stick formatted to NTFS as well as Fat32. I tested this with Music Flac files only but the Sony does read it fine. I was also happy to find out that although it won't play my DVD-A's authored by Cirlinca HD Audio Solo it will play BD-R's not only as a data file (I had dragged and dropped a bunch of my Hi-Res files for storage on a BD disc) but also a disc authored by Cirlinca. I will now try a DVD with Hi-Res files dragged and dropped rather than Authored as a DVD-A.

Lownote30 and wwaldmanfan like this.
  15. matsel

matsel Well-Known Member

Thanks wwaldmanfan. My setup is a $500 integrated amp (music hall) into wharfedale 220 speakers, so probably similar. So if it sounds decent to your ears on the analog out, it'll probably sound similar on mine. Thanks for the info.

16. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

My initial test it sounded good, I have it hooked up to a yamaha 667 receiver and def technilogy pro monitor 200 bookshelf speakers. I havent put it through major paces yet, but I suspect I will listen to both hdmi and analog out, I will test drive both over the next month, but I like the machine so far.

The bond thunderball Blu-ray I tested looked and sounded great.

17. randy9700

Ok, I am warming up to this unit a little more now and with the exception of the goofy way it handles my Ipod it is getting better IMHO. As I type this I am listening to a 'Data DVD' rather than an 'authored' DVD-A. I merely dragged and dropped a little over 4GB of FLAC files to a blank DVD+R and burned them to the disc. The unit reads it as a data disc and I can drill down through my files to the music files and play them just as I would a USB stick. The major difference is that my 'properly authored DVD-Audio' of my Beatles USB Stick 44.1-24bit Abbey Road plays gaplessly whereas my drag and drop method will produce those dreaded gaps between the songs where none is meant to be. As I stated earlier in the thread I will not be playing those on this unit. The other good news is that it will properly play a BD-R (BDMV file system) mastered today. My issue may have been discs created previously that were mastered differently (even though they will play on my Oppo).

sunspot42, testikoff and TonyCzar like this.
  18. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

I'm really enjoying this player, but don't have a lot to add regarding audio playback that hasn't already been covered.

For those interested in its video capabilities, I absolutely love that it will play DVDs and network content at 24fps. Other devices I've used only engage the 1080p24 mode on my TV when playing back a Blu Ray disc. 3D playback is excellent and is customizable based on TV screen size. The A/V sync settings are extremely fine grained allowing for up to 120ms of delay in 10ms increments.

sunspot42 likes this.
  19. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Hello,

I have tried the analog output plugged to a cambridge cxa60 integrated amp with elipson planet l speakers.
    Sounds fine to my ears, but i prefer to use the digital out and let cambridge's internal dac do the conversion, it feels more punchy to me... Whether this is a placebo effect or for real i can't really tell you, the difference is subtle.

20. back2vinyl

Tartifless, I've done some tests and I'm sorry to say it's as I said - I'm fairly certain that de-embedder you're using is giving you 44.1 kHz, not 176.4 kHz.

If you're saying it LOOKS like 176.4 kHz, then I can only think that's because you've told your sound card, or your PC software, to play or record at 176.4 kHz. So your sound card, or your playback/recording software, has taken the 44.1 kHz stream coming from the de-embedder and is upsampling it to 176.4 kHz.

I was able to confirm this because I have one of these de-embedders (the Kanex Pro version) and I tested its output using my Lynx Hilo DAC, which showed 44.1 kHz even while I was recording into my PC at 176.4 kHz.

But there's a much simpler way of confirming it. Leave all your settings exactly as they are and put a CD in the UHP-H1. Then try playback/recording at 176.4 kHz. Does your setup tell you you're getting 176.4 kHz, same as when you play an SACD? Obviously, that's just not possible if you're playing a CD.

Why does this de-embedder not render the PCM stream at 176.4 kHz?

It's as I tried to explain before. When you put an SACD into the UHP-H1 and select the HDMI output, the UHP-H1 doesn't know whether to send DSD or PCM, or if PCM, what sample rate to send. So it sends a message to the receiving device at the other end of the HDMI cable, requesting a "handshake" in which the two devices exchange information about their capabilities. They then "agree" on the optimal playback format and playback begins in that format.

The problem is, that little de-embedder you are using isn't fully HDMI compliant and has no capability to offer any handshake. It's just a pass-through device and is completely dumb. So the UHP-H1 doesn't know what signal to send, and automatically defaults to the least demanding format which is 44.1 kHz (on the assumption that ANY device will be able to play that.)

There's no easy solution to this. If you attach an HDMI-compliant device to the HDMI output of the de-embedder, that will fix it - but only if the device is capable of 176.4 kHz. Not many people have a device like that lying around. Otherwise, you just have to buy a de-embedder which is HDMI compliant. The one I use with great success (including with the UHP-H1) is this:

Link to the Cyp AU-11SA

Note especially the end of the product description where it states: "This device has advanced firmware allowing audio to be de-embedded without the need to connect the HDMI display (no sink-end required)." That's exactly the problem we're talking about. It means it will work fine without the need to attach any HDMI device to the HDMI output.

Just as a footnote, and even more off-topic, I recall that you CAN use the Kanex Pro de-embedder with Oppo machines because apparently, the Oppo allows you the facility to force a certain output format through the HDMI output regardless of what's on the other end of the HDMI cable. However, I believe the Oppo's maximum sample rate is 88.2 kHz. (No criticism implied - 88.2 kHz is plenty enough for me.)

c-eling likes this.
  21. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Ok, sorry to hear that, anyway i bypassed the de-embedder and went straight through coax out into the coax input of my amp.
    I managed to free it on my amp by hooking up my media center through one of the optical inputs (changed my soundcard).
    I can hear a difference, feels like a step has been removed and it adds punch to the drumkicks.

However i see in the sony settings that you can set the output frequency, doesn't that fix the frequency regardless of any HDMI handshake mechanism ?

22. randy9700

*Update*

I was able to author a 'DVD Video' using Cirlinca HD Audio Solo and it plays fine on the UHP-H1. It shows as Dolby Digital which I believe is 48khz/16 Bit (448kbps). This is not a perfect solution to this units inability to play my DVD Audio discs made from High Resolution files but it is something.

I am imploring those of you who now have this unit to let me know what happens when you connect your Apple Ipod Gen 5.5 or newer to the front USB jack. If it works flawlessly as it should I may have to return my unit and get another but I would need to do it soon as I suspect these won't be around much longer at the current pricing. Amazon no longer sells it (only 3rd party sellers).

Also, as expected Gracenote works perfectly with recognized material and show album artwork as well as disc information.

23. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

When you say you are using "Cirlinca HD Audio Solo" does that mean you are using (full name) "Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra"? And are you running on a 64-bit MS operating system? If so, I've had an experience similar to yours.

A year ago I bought a used car (2013 MB E-Class) which had a factory included 6-disc DVD-A changer, with everything set up to support multi-channel playback. I had a small number of commercial DVD-A discs, but even better from my perspective I had a properly set up PS3 and had been ripping SACDs. And through the SH forums I had recently learned how to extract multi-channel WAV and FLAC files from the ripped DSD ISOs. I had a copy of Cirlinca "DVD-Audio Solo Standard" I had been using to make DADs ("digital audio discs": 96k/24 stereo DVD-V), and though I knew I could use my Cirlinca software to make multi-channel DVD-A discs from my multi-channel files, I decided to pick up Cirlinca "HD-Audio Solo Ultra" because it had the capability to build DVD-A discs using two different resolution groupings on each cut. Given DVD-A data rate limitations, I thought being able to use two resolution groupings would be useful, and DVD-Audio Solo Standard couldn't do that.

Due to Cirlinca's poor communication, I wasn't able to purchase a version upgrade, so I bought and installed full HD-Audio Solo Ultra as a separate package and did not overwrite my DVD-Audio Solo Standard installation. Oh, I am running Windows 7 Professional 64.

Once I started burning DVD-A discs using Ultra, I very quickly discovered a playback problem in my car. Commercial DVD-A played fine in the car, but the Cirlinca discs would not start playback even though they seemed to load in the changer. After a lot of fooling around I discovered the Cirlinca discs would play if I pressed the car's audio "mute" button some number of times rapidly, so at least I could listen to the Cirlinca discs. However, that meant when a disc ended playback the changer wouldn't start the next disc for a Cirlinca unless I did the "mute" pressing. Not only that but if I stopped the car before a Cirlinca disc had completed, there was no memory of where the disc had left off, and it only could be restarted from the beginning...which again required several uses of the "mute" button. These same Cirlinca discs played without any problems on my Marantz universal player.

I tried a lot of stuff to see if I could get around the situation, but eventually tried burning a DVD-A using my old Cirlinca "Standard" (which I had never done before)...and the disc worked perfectly in my car! When I used Cirlinca Standard, the discs loaded, went into autoplay when needed, and if the car was stopped, the discs always picked up from exactly where they left off! That solved my playback problem and I consoled myself that the resolution loss due to Standard having a common resolution for all tracks was probably pretty moot in an automobile listening environment. Unfortunately, Cirlinca discontinued DVD-Audio Solo Standard a few years ago, and now sells only the buggy HD-Audio Solo Ultra.

But there was still more to learn. For the non-home versions of Windows 7 64, Microsoft made available on their site a "virtual machine" version of Windows XP Professional 32. It was free, so I downloaded and installed it just because I thought that would be cool. I tend to try things a lot, and after a while I tried installing my copy of Cirlinca HD-Audio Solo Ultra on my virtual machine XP 32. It installed just fine, it made DVD-A ISOs just fine. And I could move the ISO files down to my Windows 7 64 layer and burn DVD-A discs from the Cirlinca Ultra ISOs. And the 32-bit Cirlinca Ultra DVD-A discs played perfectly in my car! They didn't hang, they'd always autoplay. If one of the 32-bit Ultra discs was playing when I stopped the car, once I restart playback they pick up from exactly where they left off.

So the problem as I see it is that when Cirlinca ported Ultra from 32-bit to 64-bit, they didn't do a perfect job. However, when Cirlinca ported Standard from 32-bit to 64-bit they did just fine. If you have access to a 32 bit OS, I would bet you could install your Cirlinca on it and produce DVD-A discs that would play on your UHP-H1. I wish that Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo Standard was still available, I'd expect that would make working discs for you. It is a problem Cirlinca could fix in Ultra, but it seems no one is home there very often anymore...and I kind of doubt they are interested in debugging Ultra and releasing a corrected version.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    randy9700 likes this.
  24. randy9700

Clearly the UHP-H1 does not support Apple Ipods (nor my Iphone SE which it states is an unknown device). This is the response from the crack team at Sony support:

"Dear Randy,

We are really sorry for the trouble and inconvenience.

We would like to inform you that even if you connect your iPod to computer through USB it show the folder as "F01/ 02/ 03" and folder content (Music file) as GFER, ASUK, BNIU etc. on "My Computer".

When you connect your iPod to Blu-ray player via USB. It shows the content as F01/ 02 etc. and music file as GFER, ASUK, BNIU. In this case. In this case, we suggest you to contact Apple support team so that they will glad to assist you.

Thank you for choosing Sony and have a good day ahead.

Regards,

Shaw (C994)

Sony Video and Sound Email Response Team"

25. back2vinyl

I'm very glad to hear you've found a satisfactory solution.

On that last point, I checked the settings on my UHP-H1 and I don't see any possibility of forcing a particular sample rate on the HDMI output. You CAN select a sample rate on the digital output (meaning the S/PDIF output) but not on the HDMI output.

For anyone else considering a de-embedder, I carried another test on my two de-embedders today. I set up my Lynx Hilo to display the sample rate. Then I repeatedly swapped de-embedders, going from the Kanex Pro to the Cyp AU11SA and back again. Every time I hooked up the AU11SA, I got 176.4 kHz and every time I hooked up the Kanex Pro I got 44.1 kHz. So I can now say with certainty that you won't be able to get 176.4 kHz from the UHP-H1 using the Kanex Pro or other re-branded versions of it. If you want 176.4 kHz, you will definitely need a de-embedder like the AU11SA, which has the firmware necessary to carry out an HDMI "handshake" with the UHP-H1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.