The new Sony UHP-H1 plays everything - Blu-ray, SACD, CD, even DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

In that case, I'm guessing that if he didn't want to rip the PCM stream, he might be interested in playing the transcoded PCM (from DSD) stream from his SACD player in real-time through his DAC. This is possible with many DACs by simply connecting the De-Embedder SP/DIF output directly to the DAC.

But this this is not a completely lossless process (even though it is theoretically very low loss). Although whether this matters to a given person is going to vary substantially depending upon the person.

2. LWF

LWF New Member

I agree 1000% that the point of DSD is to hear it natively. I would expect most of us also want to hear SACD as native DSD also.

The question of whether the UHP-H1, or for that matter other units, operate internally on native DSD or not is a question that really needs definitive answering. With the UHP-H1, we can't even be sure it's analog outputs are being fed DSD, or instead some down conversion. (One would hope of course those analog outputs are worth listening to in the first place).

I for one would like to know the answers to both of these questions:
    Native DSD internally or converted ?
    Analog outputs fed native DSD or a down converted version.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  3. I think what's more important than the math done inside the player is how it sounds. Has anybody heard the thing?

4. Sure it is. For example, some 4k displays support 4k/60p, some do not. There are no "real" 4k displays out yet--at least none that will work properly with UHD players. Wait until next year for UHDTV's.

5. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

The new DAC from the German T+A named DAC 8 DSD does true 1-bit chipless conversion of a DSD stream into analog without converting to PCM.

Also, multibit chips utilised in some DSD DACs do not convert to PCM, as I understand it.

I myself play SACDs through HDMI connection to my A/V receiver (MARANTZ SR7001) in form of a DSD stream and in PURE Direct mode the manual says the DSD stream is converted directly to analog without going through a PCM conversion.

Jim in Houston likes this.
  6. warp2600

warp2600 Forum Addict

In DLNA you have a controller, a server and a renderer. The controller tells the server to send the file to the renderer to play it. Now, AFAIK, Jriver may be a server or a controller in DLNA but not a renderer. A player like the UHP-H1 may be a player and a controller but not a server. That is why you cannot 'play' something coming from the UHP in the JRiver app.

7. missan

missan Forum Resident

Will be interesting what You think of it when You have tested it. It looks very interesting to me. How is SQ from analog out e.g.

8. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I don't think your right ,If you have many of the new models,you don't have to wait to buy a newer model ,But newer models are always coming out

9. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I am intrigued by the UHP-H1 and am wondering if would be an audio upgrade to the Sony BDP-S770 that I bought about five years ago.

According to sony.com, the new player cannot be purchased online, but they imply that Best Buy stores in my area have it. It is $350 USD. Checking bestbuy.com, it is available for pre-order. Store pick-up is listed as "Coming Soon". When I placed it in my cart on bestbuy.com, it showed the release date as June 1st. Hmm...

10. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

It seems do a lot for an $350 player. I wonder how it sounds on Redbook Cd?

11. That's not correct. 4k TV's right now are like the wild west. They each have their own proprietary processing formats, some of which support certain UHD protocols but not all of them. They have massive HDMI handshake problems and most HDMI cables will not work. None of them right now are able to play 4k content from the one available UHD player in pure 4k mode. How do I know this? I have been privy to some internal discussions.

You can get some of the gory details if you read AVS forum threads on the subject, too. 4k TV's are not yet ready for prime time, as some early adopters have found. The 4k sets will play 1080p content fine, so it's not as if you wasted your money buying a 4k set. However, they are not ready for 4k media.

12. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

well the guy on Blu-Ray.com had some problems with Handshake problems ,but that was it Robert Harris has reviewed many titles ,and didn't have problems ,and Sound and Vision had no trouble ,Not sure which products work the best
    with each other ,and these are the early days ,with only one model Player even available here in the US ,but from what I read even the up converted 2k discs are better than there Blue Ray Counterparts

13. Clipper Sylvania

Clipper Sylvania L'écharpe d'abricot

I'll be very interested to see how this thing does against the Pioneer BDP-80FD in terms of Redbook and SACD playback, which is why I might like to have one. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

grx8 likes this.
  14. Breeze 1

Breeze 1 Member

The DX5, it was discontinued a short time back, they are working on a DX5 Twenty version ( Twentieth Anniversary ) or so I'm told.

Tim 2 and bmoregnr like this.
  15. LWF

LWF New Member

There are a number of European reviews of the UHP-H1 which provide a bit of information not available in US sources. Simply translating these revealed some relevant info.
    The analog outputs are fed, not a native DSD stream, but 32 bit/ 768 kHz. The DSEE audio up-scaling function also operates to these same specs. You can check this for yourselves with many reviews from various European countries.

16. Bellowe

Bellowe Member

Without links this message seems to be of little value.

17. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

This puppy has been released, although only Best Buy seems to have it available for shipping (from when I last checked). Any reviews or thoughts yet?

18. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Other cheaper Sonys do this (play Blu-ray, SACD, CD, DVD-Audio). Some say they don't play one or the other in the owners manual, but they do. I have a BDP-S6200 that does all the above. Doesn't matter what DAC they use if it all goes out the digital port.

19. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

I think, this is incorrect... IIRC, UHP-H1 player is Sony's very first to support playback of DVD-A content (not just DVD-V portion) of DVD-Audio discs.

Galley likes this.
  20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I'd buy this in a heartbeat if it had 5.1 analog outs. But since I have no HDMI capable receivers...

21. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Ok, help me understand. I'm now playing King Crimson - Discipline 40th Ann. Panegyric ‎– KCSP8 DVD disk in the Sony BDP-S6200. I get a menu choise of stereo or 5.1 (both work, the 5.1 is wonderful by the way). As it plays my reciever lights the DTS 24/96 light.

Are you telling me this is DVD-V, not DVD-A?

22. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Your player is automatically routing to the DVD-V codecs. If you played the disc on a DVD-A player, the DVD-A codecs would automatically be available. In this case you're getting lossy DTS, not the MLP lossless on the DVD-A. If you think the 5.1 sounds good now, you should hear it in lossless. :)

23. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I'm very interested to know about the red book and SACD sound quality of this player.

Galley and lbangs like this.
  24. Correct. If "DTS" lights up, you are playing the DVD-V tracks.

progrocker and klockwerk like this.
  25. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What receiver do you have? You must have an appropriate receiver and use HDMI in order to hear lossless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.