The new Sony UHP-H1 plays everything - Blu-ray, SACD, CD, even DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

I have a SACD player. Also outdated ancient tech.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

I would be inclined to agree with him to some extent. Incidentally, I have a CD player, and also owned a Sony Blu-ray player a few years ago.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Great thread. :rolleyes:

4. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

But yet you can't resist yourself.

5. HiFiGuy528

HiFiGuy528 Formerly Dj_AmTraX

I have this player. Bought it to play CDs. Unfortunately it's not as impressive as I hoped it would be. It is a great DVD player though. I can see the difference in picture quality over my cheap Sony Blu-ray.

6. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

What wasn't impressive about it? What music did you listen to? What is your basis for comparison? Send some pics of it in your setup I'd like to see how it looks real life.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wow :rolleyes:. Any other demands.... I mean requests ;)?

Bill

bobcat and caupina like this.
  8. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Well?

billnunan likes this.
  9. KeithH

From challenging the nonsense? Nope. :pineapple:

Feel better offering your old, tired interweby retort? :pineapple:

Bill Mac likes this.
  10. KeithH

Yes. Take off the top so we can see the innards! WE. WANT. DETAILS.!

11. KeithH

It's nice to get a review. Thanks. Have you tried it with SACDs or Blu-Ray Audio discs?

You mentioned that you have a "cheap Sony Blu-Ray" player. Which model? I have a Sony BDP-S770 Blu-Ray/SACD player from several years ago and am curious if the new model is an upgrade in the sound department (on various formats).

12. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Everything is outdated and ancient, as the for Humans the arrow of time moves forwards, entropy.

I have the 590 and the 390. Still might get this once since it has DVD-A too. Waiting for it to go lower than MSRP so it can make friends with my outdated turntable and receiver and speakers and my outdated ears.

caupina and Bill Mac like this.
  13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Do any owners of the UHP-H1 also own or have owned any of Oppo's universal players? I'd be curious on the speed (loading) and the menus in comparison to Oppo players. Also any SQ comparisons for those that use analog connections. Thanks :)!

Bill

14. mongo

mongo Senior Member

You're throwing around a lot of invectives about technology while listing a turntable in your profile.
    Do you collect wax cylinders or 78s?
    What music playback method\technology is not outdated garbage in your erudite opinion?

caupina and Bill Mac like this.
  15. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I agree. Why someone who claims CDs and SACDs are from the "stone age" reads and posts in a universal player is suspect IMO. Other than to stir the pot that would be about it I guess. There's a word for that which escapes me right now. I believe it starts with a "t" and is sometimes associated with fishing :D.

Bill

16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Anyone that just has to have one of these, check the BB website. I keep seeing open boxed LN listings for $260. But that should tell you something about these things.

Bill Mac likes this.
  17. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I think people are returning them because its not a true 4k player, it upscales to 4K only. Not because it has poor audio quality/features. Only Samsung currently makes a true 4k player.

Good for us as we can grab those way cheaper!

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That's great deal!

Bill

19. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Are these available in Canada yet?:cheers:

20. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Let's be realistic. CD's have been replaced by better quality digital files. High-res FLAC, DSD, etc. The CD is just a very old digital storage container and that's it. Incapable of playing modern formats.

The aural experience of enjoying a well mastered top-condition slab of vinyl has not been replaced.

21. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

They are not from the 'stone age'? Do you honestly believe that CD's and SACD's are current, modern, and state-of-the-art in today's age? Honestly, is this what you believe? I'm trying to reconcile what seems logical with what I'm reading from you.

Is an original IBM PC model 5150 not from the 'stone ages' of digital tech? Cause that came out around the time of the CD.

How about the iMac? Is that modern and high-tech by today's standards? Cause that came out just before the SACD.

22. Dennis Metz

Thanks for your opinion :crazy:

ti-triodes likes this.
  23. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Ok so your refutation is that CDs *are* modern, not limited, and not rendered obsolete by higher res/ streaming, etc

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2016
  24. Dennis Metz

Troll:cheers:

Bill Mac likes this.
  25. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

What the heck, he made some perfectly valid points, but because they go against the standard forum groupthink, he's a troll. Now I remember why I avoid the hardware forums.

TVC15 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.