The new Sony UHP-H1 plays everything - Blu-ray, SACD, CD, even DVD-Audio

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by back2vinyl, May 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Lol - so anyone with a POV different from yours is a troll? Or just those presenting POVs you can't argue against?

I could see this going over well in an actual debate.. "Troll!". That'll take the prize for sure.

PS isn't making claims on a product never heard or experienced really the most "troll" like?

2. rick711

rick711 New Member

Hi, new to this forum. My guess is that most people are still confused about 4k. It's still in its infancy. People figure if they have a 4k tv, why not the matching player. They obviously don't have a 4k disc collection. I think Sony came out with this unit for people with a large disc collection and do justice for their new 4k tv's. I own Yamaha's BD-A1040 universal player and this Sony caught my interest. What is interesting is that Yamaha will be releasing the BD-A1060 which also only upscales to 4k.

3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I wanted to say something much worse:cheers:

billnunan likes this.
  4. qrarolu

qrarolu Forum Resident

Well, a lot of music is released in no other format than the CD (44/16) so eventhough we would prefer a more modern digital format what can we do about it? Listen to the CD or not at all.

jlc76 likes this.
  5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Yes, troll. This is a thread about the Sony UHP-H1 universal player not whether or not CDs and SACDs are obsolete formats. To keep going back to that over and over again in a thread not about that subject is trolling IMO. It's best to ignore the troll and not respond to their posts. Once that happens they usually go to another thread to create issues :).

Bill

bajaed likes this.
  6. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

The cd still sells millions of units per year and is higher quality than 99% of streamed or downloaded music by "normal" cunsumers of music! No it isn't cutting edge but just because it's old doesn't mean that its obselete or from the Stone Age.

Oh, and suggesting that all CD players sound the same is simply ludicrous. You make a valid point regarding different players presenting the music in a different way and then make an unsubstantiated argument that a $10 player sounds as good as a $1000 which, in general, simply isn't true!

Giobacco and Bill Mac like this.
  7. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Regarding the comments about quality, I don't think that the target audience for this player cares about performance as much as convenience. Personally this player is about one box that feeds the most common discs I own and throws in some streaming all from one HDMI input.

8. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

So take your own advice then and drop out already. Note that the CD as "outdated" remark began life as related to the UHP-H1, and the ridiculous assumptions by some that it would be absolutely unable to sound at all acceptable. The point: CD playback is old tech. 16/44 is 'stone ages' digital relative to what's available these days. I've heard plenty of basic universal players sound excellent, notably those from Sony.

They don't puff up the mid-range and soften the top end like a Rega Planet, so it's a more honest presentation. Which most of you after listening to ONLY non-neutral source gear might have a difficult time with.

The high-end of the CD player segment is reduced to engineering sonic differences in order to differentiate product and justify high prices. Because even a lowly 5 year old Sony BDP can do a damn fine job these days reproducing lowly 16/44.

See how the thread developed? That's why it's called a thread. Don't try to back me into but one aspect of the argument.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
  9. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Don't believe I referenced a $10 player anywhere in prior posts. Now people are just making stuff up.

NOT arguing that people are fools for owning CD's or CD Players. But I am arguing people are fools for making immediate assumptions that a $400 universal player can't do a very basic task that's hardly on the cutting edge anymore. One does NOT need to spend $1k on a CD Player if all that is required is an accurate portrayal of source material.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2016
    Mrtn77 likes this.
  10. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Here is one Panasonic is getting ready to release.
    Panasonic is releasing a $699 4K Blu-ray player »

11. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I am more interested in using it as a transport, and run through HDMI.
    How is the loading mechanism? Is it smooth? Does the player make mechanical noises?
    On the photos the tray is opening wide, which is a good thing.

Bill Mac likes this.
  12. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

13. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I'm really not sure formula, I haven't been able to find any other pics online. It kinda reminds me of my old Toshiba SD 9200 DVD- Audio player, where the faceplate slides down and the tray pops out. Really slick looking if you ask me. Can't wait for more high end players to hit the market. The Oppo player should be something special I think. But I'm one of those idiots with tin ears that frivolously spends money on antiquated formats just because, I guess.:shrug:

14. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Only an idiot if you assume a modern $400 universal player can't possibly do justice to said antiquated format.

15. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

I would never assume that. In this day and age if a $400 universal player using a 30+ year old digital format can't sound good, then it should be scrapped. But I've heard enough players at different levels to know that better parts make for a better sound, colored or not.

16. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'd be interested in the items you listed as well. As mentioned earlier in the thread Best Buy open box UHP-H1s were going for $260 which is an excellent deal on a universal player. Using the UHP-H1 with HDMI as a transport would be the way to go :).

Bill

formu_la likes this.
  17. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Looks promising but daaaamn it's ugly looking.

18. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident

Exactly my point. There's no reason that $400 Sony shouldn't be able to exactly reproduce exactly what's on that disk, period.

But Audiophiles don't' want neutral, they want additional color and texture. Fine - but don't piss on the $400 Sony for doing what it's supposed to do. Especially don't simply because it's $400.

Shel and Brother_Rael like this.
  19. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

There is more information on the Panasonic, including more pictures, here. It's clearly not top loaded. It's front loaded with a drop down front panel covering the disc tray mechanism.

Unlike this thread's Sony player, the Panasonic doesn't seem to be spec'd for SACD or DVD-A. However, it's stated it can handle DSD up to double DSD, and includes 7.1 analog outs. The Panasonic is a true 4k machine including HDR video.

formu_la likes this.
  20. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

So your point was to berate Audiophiles in a thread about a new Sony 4k player, that doesn't even support native 4k(that's piss worthy). If neutrality was the be all end all objective for the common Audiophile, we'd all be using the same equipment, would we not? Audio is a very personal subject and we like what we like, period. My personal system is an electrostatic HE90 based rig. Not the last word in neutrality, but too me, they are the best headphones I've heard. This new Sony will be good I'm sure, but I doubt it will be an Audiophiles dream. Sorry for the derailment.

21. Guss2

Guss2 Senior Member

Thanks for the link DM. Unfortunately I see more promise in a player like this than the Sony. I own a Sony 5000ES blu ray player, maybe their last in the ES category, and I love it, but they dropped the ball not including SACD playback on it, IMO. Maybe some day they will reintroduce the ES line, but I'm not holding my breath.

22. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, that's what I bought it for but I haven't really put it into use yet because I'm waiting for the NAD Masters Series M32 all-digital amplifier to hit the stores in the next month or so, then I'll connect the UHP-H1 by HDMI directly to the amp. But I'll do some tests on the loading mechanism and hopefully give you an answer tomorrow.

formu_la likes this.
  23. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

That's a good point. I've been a videophile for almost 30 years and I've never seen something as confusing as the state of consumer video as it is now. Many 4K TV's don't even have 2.2 HDMI inputs which is necessary for true 4K. Or even HDR10. The market needs to shake itself out ASAP.
    As for the Sony and Yamaha, there are true 4K players out already and within 6 months there will be more. It's worth waiting a little while, if you can.

Billy Budapest likes this.
  24. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

I'll bite on 4K Ultra-HD when the unmolested original trilogy is available.

Really, Michael

scobb likes this.
  25. Agreed. There are no established specs for HDR and all 4k TV's implement it differently if at all. It's the wild west for 4k TV and early adopters are paying the price. When UHD 4k TV's come out next year, hopefully some uniformity will happen. The situation with 4k UHD players is even worse, as you don't know what displays they will work with, if at all--there have been massive HDMI handshake problems. Moral of the story--don't buy 4k yet.

ti-triodes, mdm08033 and Guss2 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.