The new Spider-Man Box Office means to me , Hollywood should only release Superhero movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by brucewayneofgotham, Dec 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident Thread Starter

In the middle of a pandemic , that has killed BO for the majority of movies. The only movies that did ok , were the Superhero movies
    ( and the Fast sequel)

US Grosses

1 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings $224,543,292
    2 Venom: Let There Be Carnage $212,172,195
    3 Black Widow $183,651,655
    4 F9: The Fast Saga $173,005,945
    5 Eternals $162,211,240

Eternals should move past F9

Spider-Man should be #1 by Christmas Day
    so the TOP 5 Grossing Films of 2021
    will all be Superhero movies

and truthfully Black Widow and Eternals , both should have done $50 mill better

maybe Theater's are done??

2. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Why go to the theater when nearly everything comes to streaming in no time?

The pandemic was probably the final nail in the coffin. I enjoy the superhero stuff best on the big screen, however.

3. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

For me, it is a bit like watching a streamed magic show and sitting first row at that same show live.

As with theater, there is a thrilling experience being there, one I fear we might lose. Staring up reverently at a big screen, laughing and crying with others in the dark, losing our world for a few hours in a way that is difficult to do in our living room...

Additionally, we continue watching many of our social excuses to enjoy time with strangers (aside from visiting bars) fade away. We're already losing browsing at the music or book store...

Some will say good riddance, just like some folks will always believe the kids now are worse than they were in their generation, but some of us will miss it.

Shalom, y'all!
    L. Bangs

PS -
    I know you're not necessarily advocating anything, just expressing part of the reason non-superhero films are tanking. I just felt like answering your question today. : )

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Because the theater experience is more satisfying? :confused:

5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I used to enjoy them but I’ve grown tired of superhero movies.

JediJones, polchik and audiomixer like this.
  6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Not when you've got a bunch of idiots texting, talking, and/or breathing throughout the film. :magoo:

Yeah, I haven't really liked any post "Avenger End Game" Marvel stuffs. I think 22 feature films have sufficed ("Black Widow" was ok, I liked funny family scenes). I've had my fill. Not to say they shouldn't keep making them if people want them, but I'm getting off the boat.

Going to the theater used to be fun and exciting when I was younger, but I'm just not interested anymore. Now I find the experience a hassle, a risk, and a nuisance. The reason the superhero flicks make the cash is due to the fact that tired 40+-somethings like myself can't be bothered. I'll be happier watching "Licorice Pizza" in the comfort of my home without all these idiots talking through it (wife excluded, ha ha).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  7. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Top 18 of 2021 - Domestic Gross (to-date) - The newest Spider-Man will go straight to the top spot in no time and the newest Matrix will land somewhere in there also.

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings $224,543,292
    Venom: Let There Be Carnage $212,172,195
    Black Widow $183,651,655
    F9: The Fast Saga $173,005,945
    Eternals $162,211,240
    No Time to Die $160,737,364
    A Quiet Place Part II $160,072,261
    Free Guy $121,626,598
    Jungle Cruise $116,987,516
    Ghostbusters: Afterlife $113,518,354
    Dune $106,571,733
    Godzilla vs. Kong $100,563,133
    Halloween Kills $92,001,615
    Cruella $86,103,234
    Encanto $74,282,021
    Space Jam: A New Legacy $70,528,072
    The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It $65,565,074
    Candyman $61,186,570

SandAndGlass, alexpop and Chrome_Head like this.
  8. Chrome_Head

Still completely anemic box office compared to years past, for obvious reasons.

If any of these blockbusters had made only 250 million during “normal times”, they’d be deemed a flop.

Deuce66 likes this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Looking at previous years # of movies with Domestic Gross above $200 million.

2019: 11 - top was Avengers Endgame $858 million
    2018: 14 - top was Black Panther $700 m
    2017: 13 - top was Star Wars - Last Jedi $620 m
    2016: 13 - top was Rogue One - $532 m
    2015: 10 - top was Star Wars - Force Awakens $937 m

so yeah the industry could use a good boost right about now.

SandAndGlass and PH416156 like this.
  10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

looking at those movies, I say the industry could use some originality right now. So for the rest of my life I’m gonna be forced to watch nothing but Star Wars, Marvel, DC, and other idiotic movies. You go out to dinner with somebody with kids and you have to sit and recite how you know every marvel character. Sorry I’m not of the age or I’m really interested in trading cards anymore or the history of Boba Fett helmet. Who cares. It’s all just baloney some idiot made up About spaceman and wookies, Or some nerd getting bit by a spider. I remember when I was 20 years old and we watched the Godfather, Apocalypse now, or the Deer Hunter and we’re blown away. Now I’m supposed to be blown away by third tier characters in the Marvel universe getting their own movie? Good luck.

11. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

So, all just baloney some idiot made up about the Mafia or people affected by the Vietnam War? :D Far as I can tell it's all fiction, unless you know something I don't :p

davenav likes this.
  12. Chrome_Head

Blame long-form narratives on cable TV (Sopranos, Breaking Bad) for taking your Godfather-styled movies out of cinemas.

David Campbell likes this.
  13. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Fact of life: You and most of us here on this board are not in the primary demographic anymore or even close to it. My only advice is, if you see movies that appear interesting to you go out and support them in some manner.

14. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

15. Chrome_Head

NWH was a f****** great movie, haters be damned.

Based on what happens in it, it's going to do a lot of repeat business.

Stormrider77, 5th-beatle and Deuce66 like this.
  16. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Sure I do, apparently. Fictional movies about Organized crime and the Vietnam war are based on actual events and entities that exist in reality. Those events and entities have effected and still effect people and have real life emotional impact. From their own experiences and the mortal losses they have suffered within their family and friends.
    Superheroes= baloney.
    obviously there is nothing wrong in liking baloney.

Crungy and EVOLVIST like this.
  17. The one time I went to the theater - to see the new Bind film - this year the ‘film’ stopped a few times, they digitally rewound it, had to watch a few scenes several times over, a 10 minute ‘pause’ - not a good experience at all. I’ll continue to watch at home except for the rare occasion.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  18. Chrome_Head

This happened when I went to see Once Upon A Time In Hollywood a few summers ago--packed theater, we're all pumped---AAAANND, they couldn't get their projector to work. Which took them 40 minutes to determine.

They were handing out vouchers on the way out for another free movie, but it became a big pain in the ass to go again. I did finally end up going back to see it in the theater not long after.

But yeah, Tarantino, Nolan...but the only movies people go see are "da comik book movies". :rolleyes:

Because God forbid people pay exorbitant movie ticket costs to actually be entertained.

davenav and Shawn like this.
  19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

This old nerd finds it amusing that when I read comic books as a kid it was considered a "nerdy" thing to do. And this before the word "nerd" became what it is today. Now we see billions of dollars being made from the exact same source material! I guess there's more of us nerds than I thought!;)

20. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I can't help feeling like that's a lot of the backlash against these films.

"No, I like real cinema, not this crap for kids [and nerds]!"

Chris DeVoe, Chrome_Head and Michael like this.
  21. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

people need the escape NOW with nothing else but gloom, doom, miserable constant negativity...time for some smiles ... too bad if it bothers the few...fun is good.

Chris DeVoe and Chrome_Head like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well kids have to have fun too! can't leave it all for us adults! ; )

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  23. Chrome_Head

And this was after decades of Hollywood shunning comics or refusing to honor the source material. Times have certainly changed—it’s like they finally woke up and realized there was a massive audience for this kind of stuff that they had ignored.

Shawn, davenav and BeatleJWOL like this.
  24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

It helped that visual effects caught up with what these movies need.

Normally I prefer practical effects, but for the superhero world, it's really tough to pull off a LOT of that material without CG...

25. jwstl

jwstl Forum Resident

I wouldn’t say it’s strictly for kids or nerds. I just call it “junk cinema”. The film version of junk food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.