The new Star Trek movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Larry Mc, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. In fact, I think in its best moments its rivaled anything in the Star War series. I was a trekkie back in the early 70s who burned out (grew up) and I haven't paid any attention to Star Trek and its incarnations since then. So going back to the original characters warmed the cockles of my heart and made me love Star Trek again. I especially loved "Bones" I thought that actor was dead on portraying McCoy's frustration and anger. Personally, I think Kirk was a little too cocky, but whatever.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Yes, yes yes and yes. I had a minor heart attack when watching the LOTR movies this summer that Urban also played in, and realized during the bonus features that he's from New Zealand! :eek:

It fits, though; in the movie's separate reality, Kirk was a brat who, without his dad as a guiding influence, was pretty much out of control and rebellious; of course he'd be cocky! :laugh:

3. MerlinMacuser

MerlinMacuser New Member In Memoriam

My wife and I watched the BD version last night and loved it. This version was way better than the series and any of the movie spin offs except the one with V'ger. Eric Bana was awesome!

4. pblmow

pblmow Forum Resident

:agree:

5. I finally watched this reboot version of Star Trek and I give it two :thumbsup:

6. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

I caught this for the third time now, and I am absolutely convinced...

Kevintomb DOES NOT like this version of Trek.

7. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

8. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Hey, I think I'd agree. Loved SW 4 & 6, but really truly hated how "Empire Strikes Back" left us hanging for years, and I say that without any trace of humor at all, I was really pissed. As for the "first" SW movies, eh, blechh. Cool looking but hollow, Lucas got too masturbatory with effects technology and forgot how to tell stories.

He did a great McCoy! Kirk I thought was also dead on-"later" in the series (which is supposedly a separate reality line but whatever) he is still rather cocky, so I could absolutely project back to this character's uber-cockiness.

In this reality line, does Data still have sex with what's-her-name?

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Rachel Nichols WITHOUT the green makeup.
    [​IMG]

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Somehow not as interesting.

Plus skinny. >_o

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Green must make you look fat. . . .

I don't know, I wouldn't say I'd prefer to date the green version. . ..

12. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I'd date her!!! I'm going green!

Actually though, I'm sad that her character apparently died. I was looking forward to seeing more of her.

13. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

It was so bad I found it amusing so it's ok. The forced relationship between Uhura and Spock was weak. Zoe Saldana had none of the classiness and stature that Nichelle Nichols had. Saldana made her an action figure, huh? Young Kirk driving a vette off a cliff? Vulcan blows up? Excellent! Hey, who shot J.R.? So, for me, it was similar to Galaxy Quest so I give it a :thumbsup:

14. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude Thread Starter

If this was already mentioned, I'm sorry but I'm too lazy to go through 39 pages.

What's with the cheap looking dvd or Blu-ray cover on this movie? I felt like I was taking medicine when I bought it. Geeze.

15. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Thats basically cause it really wasnt Star Trek at all, other than names of characters, and a basic resembalance to the storyline of Trek with huge, huge changes made to appeal to the kiddie crowd, and adults with very limited attention spans. Honestly while I found it somewhat entertaining, it should have been honest and marketed as a whole new experience with no links to the star trek franchise we know and love. It was a big budget rip off of star trek, with none of the appeal of the old shows or the movies.

"Starship troopers, explore the galaxy!" would have been a much more apt title.

16. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I so badly wanted to love this movie..I really really did!!

I figured they would go the "Battlestar Galactica" way and make it much more mature, with more realistic storylines, gritty and real drama, less kitsch and silliness, but no.....

They had to go full circle and dumb it down and make it totally silly and just forced humor, silly situations, tons of flashing lights, action and lame excuses for things that made no sense at all. Talk about a letdown. Many in the theatre I viewed it in, were chucking and saying things such as "Uh ya im so sure" and basically mildly poking fun at it. The several I talked to briefly after the movie (( after both viewings )) said it seemed fun, but was basically not star trek, and most were of the view of, a fun movie, but disposable overall.:help:

17. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Another ST movie?

18. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I would love to see another one...a new fresh story, and limit the silliness and action. I think they feel they had to do that to appeal to Joe six pack. I know for sure they werent trying to appeal to "true" trek fans or science fiction fans. Seems the target was Star wars, Starship troopers, and Transformers, and Iron man. All movies I enjoy and find entertaining for the most part.

19. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member

BTW - we are quickly coming up on the 1st anniversary of Kevintomb not liking this movie.

;)

20. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Before the thread gets derailed again, maybe Pug should update this post:

21. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

I was disappointed when I saw it in the theatre. I later watched it at home with the family, and enjoyed it a little more. Maybe it was the wine I was drinking?

However, I have to echo others' complaints. It was merely a caricature of the original Trek. If you can take it in that vein, the explosions 'n' stuff were fun, but it definitely didn't feel like real Treak to me. The characters had the same names, but they just weren't the same characters under the skin.

I'm glad the movie was successful. Hopefully, it will interest new, younger fans enough for them to experience the real thing.

Doug

22. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

:eek: .........really?:D

23. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I CARE about Star trek, (( The idea and the franchise )) this movie is not defining star trek. After watching every incarnation of Star trek over the years...multiple times, and every movie multiple times, and having owned hundreds of books of fiction and of discussion on trek, and writing several papers on the ideals of Trek over the years and its impact on humanity and even space travel and our accomplishments and what in some ways it has influenced our culture and our drive to better ourselves, I feel im deserving of commenting as much as I want.:D

24. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

Wasn't Yeoman Rand HOT?? :D

25. Ultimately it's a TV show. Yes, it could be a quality show but, quite honestly, one of the issues (as someone who watched TOS from its first episode aired in 1966) with the various series as far as I was concerned was that, "Deep Space Nine" aside, each incarnation seemed like a copy of a copy with quality diminished with each one.

Does the show have a solid philosphy? Sure. Do I think humanity will ever achieve what we see on each series? Nope. We're messy creatures driven by our Ids, greed and how many toys we have.

I don't think that humanity truly has the desire to better ourselves I think that humanity wants to BELIEVE that and tries to foster an illusion of that as a whole because it makes us appear to be a noble species on the surface.

Anyhow, philosphy aside, I don't find that the reboot of the franchise betrayed anything in Roddenberry's original. I'd remind folks that "Where No Man Has Gone Before" and many other episodes were action driven. All Abrams and his writers did was to take characters that were familair to us and reinvent in a way that would allow the characters to continue to interest audiences.

Saying that the new incarnation of "Star Trek" just has the name of "Star Trek" and little more than characters that resemble but aren't the ones on the series is akin to saying the same thing about James Bond (or any character)--society reinvents its mythology and America draws its more modern mythology (since we don't have the depth or breadth of experience of Europe or Asia) from pulp fiction. "Star Trek" has, in essence, become our Illiad and Odyssey reflective of our culture and how we see ourselves but not necessarily how we are.

That said, I'm looking forward to the next film simply because Abrams and his crew breathed fresh life into characters that while interesting (TOS characters were always more interesting and complex than TNG for example as much as I like that series) threatened to become stale and limited to an increasingly smaller core audience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.