The new WAR

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, Jul 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

No, not the bad stuff, the band's new very best of CD from Rhino.

The sound? It's very clean and very detailed, and has dynamics. But, it still has that slightly shrill upper midrange peakiness that gives me an earache, characteristic of Inglot/Hersch jobs these days. Other than that, I love it!

Here is a screenshot of track 17 "Why Can't We Be Friends":

2. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

Thanks for the info Grant I almost bought this today while at Best Buy but didn't . Maybe I will get it now though, they are selling it for 15.99 this week then it goes to 19.99 .

3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Grant, try tracking down the Avenue gold CD's.

Better sound, no earaches!

4. sydriver

sydriver New Member

The waveforms are too chopped off for me. Yikes. I'll stick with Avenue Golds.

5. Grant

Re: Re: The new WAR

I have some of them. They sound lmore like the vinyl. But, with the Avenue Golds you only get the long versions except on the greatest hits. Here, you have most of the edited single versions with tracks spanning the whole career from 1969 to 1994. It includes my favorite track "East L.A.". I feel like our Rhino Records member saw me mention that in another thread.:thumbsup:

6. Grant

But, you have to admit, there are very few "flat" places, which means more dynamics are preserved.

7. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

For the single edits, Grooves and Messages might be the very best single CD available.

Everything from Spill The Wine to East L.A.
    70+ minutes of wall to wall groove!

Remastered by Dave Collins. Don't know much about him other than he mastered the Police box.

8. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

That screen shot didn't look as bad as some that I've seen...

I have three of the Avenue golds, but not a G.H. set yet, this looks promising. Does it include the song "Peace Sign" from about 1999/2000? I saw them do that one on tv, and it looked to be a return to their old form!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.