The new X-10V3 tube stage from Musical Fidelity.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Oyama, Sep 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oyama

Oyama Senior Member Thread Starter

I was thinking of trying out this new tube stage from MF, between my SACD player and Pre (I would connect the X-10V3 to the analog pass-through on my pre). The tube stage comes with milspec milusage 6112 tubes and I was wondering if there would be a better set of tubes to replace those with. Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I would go with something like some Sylvanias....maybe?

6112's aren't all that common though. You can get them fairly cheaply, but sometimes it's hard to find a matched pair....

3. Sckott

4. Oyama

Hi Sckott - I didn't know that! One of the the local Hi-Fi shops I deal with kindly loaned me a X-10D (previous model) to try out in my system, since the X-10V3s have not arrived yet. I will give it a try on weekend and see how I like it.

5. Sckott

There's links out there that mention it's a "hearing aid" tube. :laugh: Interesting!

But on the 3 examples on the net, all of them are long pinouts for PCB installation, not socketed. I guess these tubes are "for life"? :)

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Cool!!!...or rather should I say "warm" :)

Were I not slightly broke right now I'd take a chance on one, as I mutter to myself on occasion that my set up is too hard and needs some warmth.

The X-10 V3 is at the top of my interest list.

Thanks Oyama for bringing this to my attention. :edthumbs:

7. Oyama

FYI, MF also came out with a new X-PSUV3 power supply, which powers up to four X-Series components. I plan on getting this as well, to power my X-LPSV3 phono stage (replaces the 'wall wart').

8. triple

triple Senior Member

The model before MF X-10 V3 used some new 6922 tube that NOS stuff like Amperex probably leaves miles behind, but this V3 version uses the rare mil-spec NOS tube which I believe is OK as it is. This tube is allegedly good for 100 000 hours.
    There is a favorable review in Hifi News that one can download from MF web pages.
    I would expect the extra PSU to make a noticeable improvement.

I have a MF Tri-Vista 21 DAC that uses similar tubes in its output stage and to great effect, may I add.

Goran

9. RnR

RnR Member

Offered for your consideration as well, would be the AKSA TLP ( http://www.aksaonline.com/products/products_tlp.html )

Based on an ECC 189, it would require typical DIY skills to implement and would most likely be a very cost effective option if you are just "experimenting".

10. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I've got the X-10 buffer stage - swapped out the Phillips 6922's for gen-yoo-wine Amperex 7308's and whoooooooo whatta difference good tubes in the signal path make...

11. Oyama

I managed to hookup the X-10D buffer stage to my system this evening. Since I wanted to do a quick A/B comparison with and without the X-10D in the chain, I connected one pair of IC's between my SACD player and the pre. Then a second pair of IC's from the player to the buffer stage and back to the pre.

Well..... After about an hour of listening to some of my more familiar recordings and switching between inputs (my wife thought I was nuts, BTW), I really couldn't hear any difference! I was expecting a little bit of that "tube flavor". The only thing that I did hear with the buffer stage in place, was a slight gain in volume. Giving me a false sense that it sounded slightly better.

Perhaps the X-10D would greatly benefit from tube rolling (as indy mike has noticed with his X-10D) and the optional X-PSU power supply. Anyway, I'm going to leave the unit on for a few more hours, to warm up the tubes and give it another listen. I really hope that the new X-10v3 does a better job, though.

RnR - Thanks for the link!

12. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Leave it on and get everything nice and warmed up. When you listen, pay close attention to cymbals - they should have a more realistic shimmer and sound like a wooden stick is hitting metal, not a metallic tizz sort of sound. Using the Amperex 7308's is a BIG improvement over the stock Phillips 6922's the X-10 came with. Keep in mind that a set of NOS Amperex 7308's cost me half as much as the entire X-10 cost to buy in the first place...

13. Oyama

Hi Mike,

I left the X-10D on all night and gave it another listen to this morning with a fresh set of ears. I pulled out my Stan Getz - Pure Getz SACD and jumped directly to "Tempest Fugit" (a great Bud Powell tune BTW), particularly listening very close to Victor Lewis' drum solo. All that I could hear is a slight more forward presentation with the buffer stage in line, which again I believe is just due to the slight gain in volume. I also did an A/B comparison with the buffer stage and my SACD player directly connected to the analog bypass on my pre, completely eliminating the signal going through the DAC's, with the same results. Anyway, the X-10D in stock form seems to do very little with my particular setup. I guess with a decent set of tubes like the Amperex 7308's, it's a whole different animal.

Mike, do you have the optional X-PSU power supply for your X-10? If not, I'm sure you can find one on ebay reasonably cheap, now that the new X-PSUv3's is out...

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I have one of their phono stages. I'm not really in love with it. The top end is nice but the bottom end is a bit bloated and woofy. Sounds like a boost around 250Hz just to make things sound bigger. It's somewhat annoying to me.

Don't know what this has to do with their line stage but I thought I'd just trow it out there.

15. Oyama

Jamie, I also have a MF phono stage (X-LPSv3), which I like very much and I haven't really noticed any problems in the bottom end. I also plan on trying out the new X-PSUv3 power supply, with my X-LPS and see if there will be any sonic benefits.

16. Oyama

It just dawned on me, could the tubes in the X-10D be past their life expectancy (this is an old demo unit)? If so, should I be able to hear any sort of degradation in the signal with old tired tubes?

17. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I don't have the power supply upgrade (but I'm gonna watch Ebay pretty closely now). Those tubes are crucial to making things happen...

18. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I have the X-Can V2 headphone amp, which uses the same 6922 tubes. I thought the exact same thing you are thinking, until I realized I had had the unit for 2 years and had never changed the tubes...

I just got some Philips JAN tubes, and they were great... I then replaced the tubes for cheap JJ / Teslas, and it made a difference, too...

19. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Tube rolling can be illuminating...

20. Maxxwire

Maxxwire Forum Resident

I rolled a pair of NOS Amperex orange globes with dimpled getters into my MF X-Cans Headphone Amp and I couldn't be happier with the results. I totaly agree with indy mike that quality tubes are crucial to good performance.

_Maxx

21. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Another satisfied Amperex customer! They are REALLY LONG LIVED, too...

22. Oyama

Hi Javier,

I didn't realize the X-Can v2 had tubes too! Once you replaced them, was it that much better than the stock tubes, where you didn't have to strain to hear the difference?

I've just sent MF an e-mail in regards to the new X-10's tubes being hard wired or not.

23. GabeG

GabeG New Member

It seems to me that these devices have limited use for most people - especially if in this latest unit you can't tube roll.

In Oyama's system, his unit seems to be very transparent and isn't doing anything detrimental to the signal. In my opinion that's the most you can ask. I seriously doubt that the tubes have aged if you aren't able to hear a difference, they are probably very neutral.

However if you want a different sound - which doesn't mean better - the best way to do it is to tube roll, which may not be a possibility if the tubes in the new unit are hard wired.

24. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

Actually, no! The tubes were pretty old by then, so just swapping them for the stock units was a marked improvement. Going to the JJ's was impressive, too - the midrange was a lot more seductive, and the highs were a lot better defined. Sadly, one of the tubes died after the first month, and I had to go back to the JAN Philips tubes. :(

25. Maxxwire

Maxxwire Forum Resident

I really like the Amperex 6922 dual triodes although in my particular situation after trying both I prefered the Orange Globes over the Bugle Boys.

_Maxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.