The newly restored Yellow Submarine in theaters now!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Lemon Curry, Jul 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Elgin IL. for us. We had a great time. About halfway through my loving and tolerant wife leaned over and said, "I've never seen this before. This is awesome!" To quote the immortal Peter Pilbeam, "High praise indeed."

O Don Piano and longdist01 like this.
  2. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

I was at the Chicago showing, tripping strongly in the second row. From a personal viewpoint, I could have done without the dialogue completely. Then again, i've seen it before and I still didn't mind too much

jamesmaya likes this.
  3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

It was nice to see Yellow Submarine on the big screen. The kids enjoyed it as well. The film looked great, and possibly even sounded better.

longdist01 likes this.
  4. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I was able to catch this about 45 minutes away from my home. Not the best of experiences (projection was a bit dim and I was definitely not in the "sweet spot" for the surround mix), but I was glad to support the re-release. Perhaps it will show up sometime in the next several weeks closer to me. The historic Tampa Theatre here in Florida has previously booked the "Deconstructing the Beatles" lecture films, also distributed by Abramorama, so I hold out hope the Yellow Sub will get at least one screening.

I think I got the Phyllis Stein joke before the "lever puller" one (which was easy for me take literally as a kid).

I should put on the subtitles during a rewatch soon. There are some bits in the dialogue that I'm either half-sure about or can't distinguish from gibberish, and they always get to me when I watch the film.

5. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

Have to say I never caught that lever puller pun until just now.

6. JFS3

JFS3 Senior Member

Well, it skipped by us this time. Did come here in 2012, but I was tied up all day with the funeral of a friend.

Really tired of this one day-only nonsense, especially since the bulk of screen are tied up by only a handful of movies (g0d forbid anyone miss the Mama Mia sequel). If it's worth re-releasing, then release it properly. If not, then don't. it's that simple.

A least swing a deal with Cinemark like TMC did, so more people get a chance to see the damn thing.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

8. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

No, it's most likely the restored version that came out on Blu Ray in 2012. There's no other YS video master in current circulation. Some of the Amazon comments state that they can't see it on their account. Not sure if it's a country rights issue or not...

Derek

9. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...How does this restoration differ from the version I saw in a theater in Santa Cruz in 2012-2014?
    I saw it originally, as a keyadd, in 1968-69, and thereby hangs...

10. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

It doesn't differ at all. It's the same version.

Derek

longdist01 and WLL like this.
  11. helter

helter Forum Resident

I must see this film

12. Lyedecker

Lyedecker Forum Resident

also known as Acid: The Movie

Hall Cat likes this.
  13. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

Wonder if there will be a 4k Blu Ray release of this. The current Blu Ray is quite stunning in terms of colors, but would love to see it in Dolby Vision .

14. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

I took the kid and saw it yesterday. Looks better than ever and those songs sounded great over the theater's sound system.

At the end, everyone in the theater sang along with All Together Now.

16. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I didn't get it until just recently!
    As a kid, I don't think I got any of the jokes and puns!

Chief Blue Meanie: Where could we go?
    Max: Argentina?

Derek Gee likes this.
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Must be a bi-cyclops:)

Derek Gee likes this.
  18. Scooterpiety

There was a guy sitting somewhere to my right who insisted on singing every damned song off-key. Nearly ruined the experience for me. I am sure he annoyed everyone there.

19. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Why oh why did they replace all the original Beatle recordings of the soundtrack songs with new recordings by Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars and Kendrick Lamar?

That seems like a silly decision.

20. Scooterpiety

Wow! I just watched it again on Amazon and I caught the following joke:

John: What day is it?
    Ringo: "Sitar-day"
    John: Then George'll be here.

I can't believe it took me 50 years to hear that correctly. I always thought he said "Saturday".

CBS 65780 likes this.
  21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Not a criticism, but I am surprised that so many folks here are just finding the puns and jokes in this movie. Once you find one, all the rest seem to be really obvious. For me, these puns and jokes are some of the best part of the movie. Beatle humor, even if not written by The Beatles, but by the screenplay authors.

22. Scooterpiety

In this case, I think it was just because I didn't listen closely enough. But a few of the the other things it took me years to "get", like "leaver-puller" was me not really thinking about it, I guess.

dewey02 likes this.
  23. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...When I saw it in 1968-9, at 8-9...it was at the one movie theayter in my mother's home county (Upshur County, TX)'' county seat, Gilmer...on a double bill with James Garner in " SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF "!:eek: Mutual " G "-rating/kid suitability overcame the culture wars of the era!:cool: Freaks and cowboys held hands:angel:! Well, sorta;):laugh:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.