The next Oppo product? The PM-1 planar magnetic headphone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  2. Russell Weston

Russell Weston Forum Resident

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  3. Abhijit Nath

Abhijit Nath Forum Resident

4. uzi

uzi Well-Known Member

Yeah, there was something about that at some headphone meet up. Not to mention that the BDP-105 can also serve as a headphone DAC and amp.

Definitely interesting. Does look lighter than the Hifiman and Audeze offerings. Can't say I'm generally a fan of leather pads (though there are exceptions). Hard to get too excited without knowing their price or performance.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Oppo is now on my list of favorite audio companies. :D

Planar drivers are awesome. Really looking forward to finding out how this headphone sounds. I'm confident it will be awesome. I want. The headphones on my want list are all orthos. This will just be another one on the list.

6. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

Looking forward to more info on these. This has a lot of potential.

7. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Wow. Incredible. Now if they will just update the headphone amp in the 105 to do cross feed...

Very interested in these cans.

8. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Exciting news for us Maggie lovers.

9. Ham Sandwich

If Magnepan would only make a headphone...
    Then I think about what a Magnepan headphone might look like and I get visions of the Jecklin Float. :yikes: :D

I'm hoping that the Oppo headphones end up tuned for neutral music listening rather than home theater style listening. I don't want another headphone with a bass emphasis. I want neutral for music and well suited for classical music. If they need to do a bass version then I'd like to see them do a neutral music version for music and a bass version for home theater. Two models. One neutral and one bass enhanced. Both with bass extension down to 20 Hz and treble that is smooth and not hyped.

The Oppo headphone does look nice. Better style and likely better ergonomics than the Audeze and HiFiMAN orthos. And it appears to have big drivers.

Mr Bass likes this.
  10. Burt

Burt Forum Resident

Could be great, but I'm pretty attached to Stax electrostats.

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Cables are optional. ;)

Billy Budapest likes this.
  13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

14. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

They're coming out with their own headphone amp, but not sure about the cross-feed.

16. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

18. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Stax are great but expensive. I think the excitement here may in part be based on Oppo always bringing high value to dollar products to market.

19. Interesting!

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

21. gmoney80

gmoney80 Forum Resident

so excited for these new headphones, they looked amazing at rmaf, but didn't get a chance to listen too them.

22. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I wish the headamp had two analog inputs.

Or was available without the dac.

Sigh. It's not easy being a multiple format kinda guy.

23. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Both the PM-1 headphones and the HA-1 HP amp look like very interesting products. I've never had high quality headphones or HP amp. But depending on the cost I might have to seriously consider both products. I wish the HA-1 had HT Bypass so I could use it as a preamp in my HT system.

Bill

24. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I believe it does. One analog input is RCA and the other is XLR.

Bill

25. Ham Sandwich

Stax are awesome. They're in Team Planar. I'd actually say they're the stars in Team Planar.

I've come to really appreciate planar drivers for headphones. I think planar drivers have the most to offer in achieving the best in headphone sound. Whether ortho or electrostatic. Orthos have their sonic issues, mainly in being able to sound completely open (it almost seams as if all the magnets are getting in the way of achieving optimal openness). Electrostatics have the advantage there. One thing I like about planars is that the sound can be densely textured with all of the right harmonics there and very few of the wrong ones. Densely textured and also layered and separated. The sound is not thin. And the sound stays coherent in ways that standard dynamic headphones struggle with.

I'm very much in favor of more planar headphones being developed and put on the market. Whether ortho or electrostatic it's all good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.