The next Oppo product? The PM-1 planar magnetic headphone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Oct 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I've been using the Fostex T-50RP cans for years now. If the Oppo planar cans are as good or better than these, I'm all ears. :D

2. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

3. triplecask

triplecask Forum Resident

Oppo really are building an impressive portfolio of products.

If there is one company that will finally bring hi def digital audio to the mainstream listener I think it will be them.

4. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

5. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Bit more than I figured.

noname74 likes this.
  6. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

That's $1,200 for the Headphone Amplifier.

7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

My thoughts as well.

I was interested but at "around $1200" I'm out. It looks like the 105 might be my choice for DAC duties when I get my music collection on hard drive.

Bill

8. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Still no news yet on the projected price for the PM-1 planar headphones. Still very curious about the Oppo headphones and what price point they'll be playing at. With HiFiMan announcing a HE-560 model at $899 the ortho headphone choices keep things interesting.

At around $1200 the HA-1 DAC and headphone amp is going to have to have an impressive headphone amp section to make it worth that price. I'd be interested in hearing it and considering it for my next amp.

9. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

My thoughts exactly. I've considered getting back on the Audez'e train with the LCD-X -- I've owned four different pairs of LCD-2 and LCD-3 -- but the price and the imminence of the Oppo and HiFiMan releases has made me hold off. The HE-560 at less than a grand is very appealing.

10. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Are the OPPO smartphone-brand a different or the same company. What about the soundquality?

11. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Same but different. OPPO makes smartphones, OPPO Digital makes Blu-ray players, etc.

12. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

http://stereos.about.com/od/Audio-Shows/ss/CES-2014-New-Audiophile-Headphones.htm

13. CarterB

CarterB Well-Known Member

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

I have been waiting to find out the expected price of these before purchasing my first set of quality headphones, however if that's the expected USD price I hate to think what the AUD price will be. Might have to look at something else. I can pick up a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's for AUD$349 delivered...

15. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

16. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's a very good price.

17. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

The HA-1 will be mine.

18. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I have a pair of HiFiMan HE-6s powered by a pair of tube monoblocks made specifically for their voltage load by
    Roger Modjeski's Music Reference out of Santa Barbara CA. His RM-10 stereo amp got very positive reviews in
    Stereophile, so I decided to contact him to make me a pair of his EM-7 amps ($2450/pair, $3000 with how I got
    them configured) that were rated as 12-14 watts per channel a year ago and now currently 10 watts, with mine
    designed specifically for the HE-6s with a rated 10 watts per side. I had him give me XLR along with his ultra-low
    noise tubes. This combo, which is juiced by my XLR-out Oppo 105, sounds pretty darn good, (with the 'phones
    directly wired to the speaker posts instead of via headphone jack) although I'm really looking into spending some of
    my upcoming tax return on either this new Oppo offering or the more-efficient-then-my-HE-6s JPS Labs Abyss
    AB-1266 planar headphones (+$5000) that were stated by a few as the best headphone in the world right now,
    equalling the Stax 'stats in speed & transparancy and bettering them in bass definition & slam. What I like about
    planar headphones besides the abundance of detail & bass slam is that as you raise the volume their sound not only
    gets louder but bigger as well. And with the tube amps, the imaging is improved and the realism of the sound is
    really something to hear, ig, Keith Moon's snare drum on Who's Next never sounded so real / authentic / genuine /
    natural until I heard that CD via my planar / tube set-up...

I've been checking Oppo's website almost daily since November for a price on their new, to be released, headphones..

What a time to be living. Now give me the rest of the ELP catalog in hi-rez 5.1......!

19. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

The distributor of iFi products told me that they will bring some planar magnetic headphones to the market soon for around $300. Those may be worth waiting for.

21. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

23. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

$1099 is under the price point I've been bracing for. And the official confirmation of a lower cost version at $699 is also very nice. Maybe hope for a PM-3 version later at an even lower price. Need to get planar driver tech out on more ears. Lower cost options help get more people to try them. And as a headphone enthusiast I'm desperate for more planar headphones to choose from.

Now the wait for listening impressions and reviews.

24. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I think they have chosen the price carefully. It's strategically priced and I look forward to the reviews.

25. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

This PM-1 woulda saved me big money a year ago in amplifier choice if my HiFiMans were as efficient
    as this Oppo model--hell--I could use my Oppo 105 as the headphone amp...

Looking forward to the reviews now, and will this latest Oppo offering be yet another GIANT killer and
    be right up there with the Abyss AB-1266, save me $4500 with an Oppo planar purchase...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.