The Nice Live in Newcastle

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raimiz1991inc, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident Thread Starter

I picked up Ars Longa Vita Brevis a couple of months and it took me quite a lot of listens to truly understand it, so I dedicated myself to disc 1, but I popped in Cd 2 of the 2003 expanded issue of the album and nothing blew my mind. Those radio sessions were nothing special to me, most of them had terrible quality anyways, but just as I started to lose interest I get to tracks 11 and 12 which are live renditions of America and Rondo respectively. I have to say it's one of the greatest live recordings I've ever heard, ever. Also the performances of these two songs are unbelievable! Probably my definitive way to listen to these two songs, and most outstanding is the presence of the electric guitar (I guess it's O'List) and this live recording has succeeded that of the Fillmore release from a couple of years ago.

Does anybody know if there is a full concert or other tracks available from this same concert? I can't find any information about this show, not even what year, and the booklet is of no help at all. Can it be that The Nice could release one more live album? I'm telling you, this edition of the album is worth for those 18 minutes of live in Newcastle alone.

2. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I'm just guessing here, but could those tracks have been recorded at the same concert as the Five Bridges suite?

3. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I wonder if this recording could originate from the 1967 Jimi Hendrix Experience tour (Newcastle City Hall, 4 December 1967). That would explain why there seems to be no more excerpts available from the same show as this 18-minute set would constitute the Nice's performance in its entirety. Apart from Hendrix and The Nice, also on the bill were The Move, Pink Floyd, Amen Corner, Outer Limit and Eire Apparent.

4. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Not if that's Davy O'List playing guitar.

5. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

O'List was fired 1 October 1968.

The Nice performed 27 January 1968 at Newcastle University, and 8 June 1968 at the Newcastle City Hall.

Ars Longa Vita Brevis was issued in November 1968. My assumption is that the bonus live material dates from the June concert. Emerson reportedly loved the hall, one reason he later recorded Pictures At An Exhibition there.

6. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

The HAll used to contain a huge pipe organ at the back of the stage.

7. Beebfader

Beebfader Member

Apparently this was a LUNCHTIME show, and among the schoolkids present, Bryan Ferry was also apparently in the audience. I'll try and find out more...

8. Beebfader

Beebfader Member

These tracks also appear on `Here Come The Nice' 3CD set where they are referred to as Newcastle '68, so I'm certain it's the June gig.

9. Beebfader

Beebfader Member

Oh, and whilst the Five Bridges Suite was about Newcastle, it was actually recorded in Croydon ;-)

10. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

It is there to this day. They had it restored a while ago.

11. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Oh for shame! They didn't record that in Newcastle? What a distressing factoid.

Great album though.

12. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks, didn't know anything mentioned here. So it's just those two songs? I was thinking it was probably a concert since there is an MC introducing the band big time which let me to believe the event was long awaited. I hope they release the January and June performances in a disc soon, I really admire those two recordings.

13. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

"America" from Hits A Go Go, either 30 or 31, August 1968...

Runt likes this.
  14. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Silly question, but I'm pondering a weird coincidence here: The Nice recorded a short mini-set at Newcastle City Hall in June '68, The Small Faces recorded a bunch of tracks at Newcastle City Hall at some point in 1968 (later released on The Autumn Stone)... it seems unusual for two bands to take the trouble arrange for proper pro-recordings back then, on separate dates at the very same location, so did they share a bill? Are both sets of recordings from the same night?

(P.S. An appropriate title for that Nice compilation, if my line of questioning proves true!)

15. Beebfader

Beebfader Member

Yes, I'm sure it's just the two songs....it was some teeny rave radio type affair I seem to recall, although I'm having difficulty recalling how I might know this....

16. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Nice theory (sic!), especially considering that both bands were Immediate recording artists back then, but the Small Faces played at Newcastle City Hall on 8th July...

17. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Ah, never mind then!

Cheers for the info - much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.