"The Night Of" on HBO

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jul 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

She was a victim of bad writing.

mrjinks likes this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I don't know what to think of the finale, they absolutely train wrecked the Chandra to a laughable extreme....ridiculous writing. As for the verdict I'm not surprised, the evidence lent itself to a hung jury. I'd give the season a 7/10, good but not great. At least the cat has a home :D.

mrjinks likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I kind of see where the writing was going with drug smuggling as she wanted Naz to agree to what she proposed but he kiss was WAY out of left field. There just wasn't enough background and established relationship between the two for that to have happened. In a sense, Chandra is a fairly rushed and not well fleshed out character. We get a small sense that her life is out of balance and that she's thrust into something she's not ready for (chosen for her ethnicity and proximity and relationship problems) but she's just not that well developed.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes and one of the more egregious legal blunders, which I failed to mention before, was when detective Box produced evidence to the DA that the boyfriend/financial planner was the likely perp, the DA's office is required to also turn the information over to the defense attorneys. Another words, the prosecution is required to turn over potentially exculpatory evidence to the defense. If they don't, they'd be committing what is known as a Brady Violation (after the Brady vs Maryland case).

This is seriously sloppy work.

Encuentro likes this.
  5. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

Even My Cousin Vinny got that part right: "It's called disclosure, ya d**khead!"

halfjapanese likes this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

that isn't a requirement in every courtroom, is it? are you thinking of the judge?

7. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Judge and Jury

8. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

pretty solved in my oppinion
    -naz freed but ****edup for the (short) time in prision
    -attorney on the same page as always, from one 250 dollar case to another
    -the Cat thing caused a small at the ending
    -detective box goes after the real murderer

no way theres room for 8+ hours on the same story, season 2, this is closed as it can be; what did you want : a new trial scene convicting the real murderer? not the point!

9. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Figured what the last loose end had to be about...wait for it...wait for it...with Roberta Flack playing off in the background from the TV ad. Just great!
    Turturro I started watching out for after seeing Barton Fink & the Harold Lloyd finger in a light socket hairdo he sported.

10. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

By Matthew Gilbert GLOBE STAFF SEPTEMBER 01, 2016

The Night Of HBO

"I was satisfied — with one or two small reservations — by the finale of “The Night Of,” and I’m going to point out the very best part of it in this column.....

Jeannie Berlin.

I just can’t praise her enough for her turn as alpha prosecutor Helen Weiss, the steely but weary veteran district attorney who tried to prove Naz guilty of murder. Berlin ruled every scene she was in during the run of the season, and she practically shattered the finale with her tense energy. Watching her talk Naz into a corner while he was on the stand was mesmerizing, as she used her rhetorical skills like she used her pumps — for effect. She worked to gently nudge him — and by extension the jury — into her damning point of view.

I couldn’t keep my eyes off Berlin as she moved around the courtroom in those last minutes, deploying all of her weapons — cynicism, disgust, obsequiousness, big sighs, feigned ignorance, glaring — brilliantly. Oh, and silence. Each pause Berlin took was an exercise in boldly measured acting, as she held the courtroom and the TV audience in her hand for each long moment that she held her tongue.

When Detective Box presented her with evidence suggesting Naz was not guilty, she essentially shamed and bullied him into silence with a few withering looks.

Berlin’s face is so much harder than back in 1972, when she costarred in “The Heartbreak Kid,” a movie directed by her mother, Elaine May. In “The Night Of,” she used it magnificently, terrifyingly, Emmy-winningly."

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I have to disagree with this. I found Berlin difficult to watch because of her weird appearance and her voice/cadence was equally offputting. But also the characyer's performance as a prosecutor was very flawed (as was the whole legal side of the series narrative).

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    GentleSenator, GodShifter and vonseux like this.
  12. TeacFan

Maybe it was based on some DA somewhere. Never having been in a trial situation, don't know. The hung jury thing played odd. The whole trial was a press holiday and then the DA drops a retrial. What does the DA's office tell the press? If she arrested the investment guy the next day, how does that look? Probably reading too much into it. I did enjoy and might watch again. I binged the last three episodes.

13. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I just caught the finale. I thought it was very well made and acted, but far from perfect. I liked that Naz walked. I was hoping he hadn't done it. And although it was far from confirmed, it sure looked like it wasn't him. I agree that the kiss was a misstep. But it was there only as a vehicle to have Stone give the closing argument. Detective Box was outstanding. And there were enough quesionable characters that you were never really sure if it was Naz. Even he wasn't sure. I enjoyed the Freddie and Naz dynamic. I found that genuine and believable. As was most of this. But the most negative thoughts resolved around the court arguments. So many inadmissible questions and answers. And so many rogue comments from the called witness just rang false.

I don't need absolute clean endings. Overall, I thought this was a very good, if not great series.

Kubricker and GodShifter like this.
  14. I thought it was an exceptional series but I thought the ending tied things up a bit too neat and clean. Still, as good as John was in the role as the attorney, I can't help but wonder how Gandofini would have have done. Hopefully the home video version will include the pilot with him in it (when he passed away, they had to reshoot the pilot).

15. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

16. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

her character got very low likelihood on the kiss scene and specially on the smuggle scene
    it made no sense at all, BUT if a lawyer got involved with a defender like this, she deserves to be marginalized yes. “grossly unprofessional" at best

17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, i don't know what show that maniac was watching but he was clearly looking for something that wasn't there.

Deesky and Chris from Chicago like this.
  18. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Am I a jerk for thinking...is her head way too big for her body? She looked like a toothpick with an orange on top

GentleSenator likes this.
  19. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Saw the last episode last night. I was surprised by the ending; I was convinced Naz would die in prison (or would do something that would keep him there forever).
    There are many loose ends and I think they're intentional. If the Chandra-Naz-kiss was filmed, was the smuggling of the pills also on tape?
    As a non-english speaker I had the greatest trouble understanding what Berlin was mumbling and muttering.

All thing considered; a good and at times thrilling and funny series!

20. TeacFan

My friend! I had the same problem...turned on the closed caption feature.

Yovra likes this.
  21. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

She had some great lines. When I first saw her, I thought maybe trans? I didn't know that her mother was Elaine May.

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I've thought a lot about this series since watching the last episode over a week ago. Things that resonate with me like that tell me it was a quality show. It had it's problems but, fundamentally, at its core, it told a good story and had compelling characters. John Turturro's performance deserves an Emmy nod. He was really, really good.

Funny that I've read several impressions that Berlin was transgender. I guess I can see that. No matter, she did a great job as a weary, jaded prosecutor who is just trying to do her job.

23. hybrid_77

hybrid_77 Forum Resident

Agree that it was a quality program. The very end was bittersweet. Naz freebasing under the bridge and the cat walking past the doorway.

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good show. I enjoyed it. And I'll spare everyone from an amateur, frustrated screenwriter/director critique of it...

25. Silken

Silken Forum Resident

I finished this show not fully convinced of Naz's innocence, but after reading this thread I realised something that should have been obvious: Andrea's blood was all over her bed and the bedroom wall, yet Naz's clothes were almost clean. He couldn't have killed her unless he wore an apron or something.:sigh:

marcb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.