The Nightcaps Wine Wine Wine 45 - Bob Ludwig Mastered?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by doowopman, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doowopman

doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hey gang. :wave:

I was spinning some of my 45's this afternoon when I came across my well loved Vandan 45 of the Nightcaps Wine, Wine, Wine. Great tune if you've never heard it, by the way. :righton:

Just for the heck of it, I took a look at the dead wax to see if there were any familiar markings/initials. There was a hand etched RKO with a hand etched RL next to it. The RL looked eerily similar to Bob Ludwig's signature.

Can anyone confirm whether or not Bob Ludwig mastered this record? It's Wine Wine Wine b/w Nightcap Rock, Vandan 1001, blue label with black lettering.

Thanks everyone!

2. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

I doubt it. I think he started mastering around 1969, if I''m not mistaken. Maybe it's RL Senior.;) :D

3. doowopman

doowopman Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Maybe! :laugh:

Thanks LP. :righton:

4. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Does anyone know what source Collectables used for the Nightcaps cd? Tape master or needle drop?

5. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

The original 45 was issued on Vandam 7491 (light blue label w/black lettering) in the first half of 1960 ... The Nightcaps were/are a Dallas group ... Vandam was a Dallas label ... the following year they put out an LP on Vandam which included Wine, Wine, Wine ... AFAIK the song was never played on KLIF (the dominant Top 40 station in Dallas at the time) ... it doesn't appear in any of the KLIF charts ... but the 45 sold a bunch of copies locally and was re-issued (using different #s ... but not 1001) locally several times in the '60s ...

Your 45 sounds like a later re-issue ... and possibly could have been mastered by Bob Ludwig ... depending on when it was re-issued ...

BTW a friend tells me that Wine, Wine, Wine was a hit in Pittsburgh in the '60s ...

6. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

All tracks on the album were recorded at radio station WRR 1310 AM studios in Dallas Texas. The album received airplay on WRR on the Kat's Karavan show.

7. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I just noticed that I mis-spelled Vandan in the above post (it was my bedtime :) ) ... a couple of trivia notes ...

Jesse Lopez (Trini's younger brother ... Trini grew up in Dallas) played sax on Wine, Wine, Wine ...

Bob Kelly (an all night WRR DJ at the time) produced and arranged the LP ... he also wrote Git It which Gene Vincent recorded in late '58 ...

Jack Allday ... the drumer for The Nightcaps ... was also the drumer for The Atmospheres ... who cut several instrumentals for Lin Records (Gainsville TX) ... two of which appear on Ace's Teen Beat series - Kabalo on Vol. 2 and Telegraph on Vol. 3 ... and two of which appear on Bear Family's That'll Flat Git It Vol. 15 (The Ficle Chicken and Telegraph) ...

Jimmy and Stevie Ray Vaughn were big fans of The Nightcaps ...

The song Thunderbird (also about wine) ... which appears on the LP and was written by one of the members of The Nightcaps (I have forgotten which one) ... was later covered by ZZ Top ... one of the ZZ Top's band members claimed authorship (receiving the composer royalties) ... the original writer sued ... but lost ... something to do with the statute of limitations ... and the fact that I think the original composer didn't copyright the song at the time ...

8. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

Not likely that THE Bob Ludwig mastered Wine Wine Wine since the song was recorded late in 1959 and released early the next year when he was 15. But it sure is a great track! Beware the dry Vandan LP version, though. The original Vandan 45 added reverb and compression that neither the LP nor today's reissues have.

And beware the 1963 Parkway LP compilation 12 Greatest Golden Oldies in the Whole World Ever, for Parkway added their own reverb to the dry track. Makes me wonder if the 45 master no longer exists?

GM

9. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Didn't realize that ... it's been 40 years since I listened to the 45 ... I have several copies floating around here ... somewhere :) ... I have to dig one up and give it a listen ... I usually listen to the LP ... cuz it's one of my favorites ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.