The Norton Records Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Apr 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Let's talk about the coolest little record label around. Their slogan says it all: WHERE THE LOUD SOUND ABOUNDS. Over the past 30 years they've never put out one boring record. I think they also pioneered the concept of advertising low sound fidelity as a selling point.

Favourite releases? Ones you're looking forward to?

The story of Norton Records is inexorably tied to that of Hasil Adkins, so what better way to inaugurate this thread:

Lonecat, goodiesguy, bgart13 and 10 others like this.
  2. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

great thread
    favorite releases are : Real kids live Grown up Wrong , NY Dolls demos , Hasil's Out to Hunch and Jack Starr Born Petrified
    God Bless Billy and Myriam

Spazaru, Jimmy B. and GodBlessTinyTim like this.
  3. GodBlessTinyTim

I can't even decide on my favourites. Out to Hunch and Charlie Feathers' Uh Huh Honey are up there for sure. There's also Johnny Powers' Long Blonde Hair, and Thee Midniters were a very solid garage outfit.

Of the six 7" singles and EPs I own, half of them are from Norton. The best of those has to be Link Wray - "Friday Night Dance Party" b/w Bunker Hill - "The Girl Can't Dance" (the wildest, hardest-rocking audio recording in human history upon its initial release in 1963).

goodiesguy, mfp, Jimmy B. and 2 others like this.
  4. Mister Charlie

Mister Charlie "Music Is The Doctor Of My Soul " - Doobie Bros.

I have the zorch sounds of the Stone Age Woo cd by Jimmy Drake aka, Nervous Norvous.

Spazaru, Jimmy B. and Mr. H like this.
  5. Bill

Bill Senior Member

6. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Brilliant stuff.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

8. JoeRockhead

9. JoeRockhead

10. JoeRockhead

11. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

YES! They are home to endless cool things. Was able to buy on of the Hurricane Sandy 45 bundles and a Flat Duo Jets test pressing from them. I love their archival stuff too. The Iguanas and Coba Seas records are must haves if you're into The Stooges.

GTOJUDGE and JoeRockhead like this.
  12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

13. GodBlessTinyTim

Recently picked up the first volume of Bloodshot! The Gaity Records Story. Normally I'm less fond of the Twist-era instrumental rockers that came between rockabilly and garage rock, but this is a great collection. About as crude as it gets.

Lonecat and JoeRockhead like this.
  14. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Forum Resident

I really enjoy the Kicksville! series, featuring rare rockabilly acetates. The sound quality is all over the map (as one would expect) but the music is freaking awesome!

15. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Daddy Long Legs rulz... Best tribute to Howlin Wolf I've ever heard.

JohnS and JoeRockhead like this.
  16. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Billy Miller RIP

goodiesguy, bgart13, Spazaru and 4 others like this.
  17. GodBlessTinyTim

[​IMG]

156 YVONNE AND YVETTE - THE SIAMESE TWINS (156)

Anyone own this single? I'm desperately curious to hear what their songs sounded like, but samples aren't available anywhere online. Would rather not blow 20 bucks after shipping on what turns out to be standard gospel which just so happens to be performed by conjoined twins.

18. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

One of my favourite labels for sure. So many great releases. All about the music.

19. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm not even sure where to begin with these guys. Probably my favorite record label of all time.

Bobby Fuller
    The Real Kids
    Andre Williams
    The Mighty Hannibal
    Hasil Adkins
    Rudy Ray Moore
    Link Wray
    King Coleman
    Gino Washington

...and many, many more.

Lonecat, bgart13, Jimmy B. and 4 others like this.
  20. JoeRockhead

If anyone is a fan of Miriam's two solo records, she is doing her first show in a long time TONIGHT at Monty Hall in Jersey City. She's the last of 3 acts.

21. GodBlessTinyTim

Got this email from Norton the other day. Hope they can turn things around...

NORTON RECORD SHOP LOCATION FOR RENT

Well, it's bad news/good news, kinda-sorta. With a sigh, the continuing saga of Norton Records is about to start yet another chapter, as we work toward a huge move of our headquarters in Brooklyn. Right now, the shop will have to close in order to make the move happen. Nothing is easy, that's for darn sure! Before we close, we need to find a new tenant for the shop space. It's a perfect location for a small shop, so if anyone out there has been dreaming about running their own little shop with modest rent in scenic Prospect Heights, close to the subway, and just a short block off Atlantic Avenue near Barclay Center, you've got a built in customer base. It would also make a great little coffee and sandwich takeout, massage parlor, or fortune telling joint. If you know of anyone wishing to open their own little endeavor, contact us right away. Thanks for the memories and support, and watch for new developments!

Norton Record Shop is closed Mon-Tues this summer. We are open from Wed-Sun noon til 8 PM every day until we pull down the shingle, and we have ten percent off everything in the tiniest and greatest little record emporium in Brooklyn. Please come stop and shop and chat a while!

[​IMG]

22. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Saw this on Facebook. Bummer! Hope Miriam can keep Norton going.

Jimmy B. and troggy like this.
  23. Rodant Kapoor

Rodant Kapoor Forum Resident

I love this label as Norton is my surname :D

24. GodBlessTinyTim

[​IMG]

Recently I ordered a bunch of Link Wray CDs. His Epic material was a little underwhelming and his Cadence sessions only yielded a handful of truly great songs, but Norton's collection of his Swan output gave me a new appreciation for Link Wray & The Raymen. I like how the set includes a guitar pick, just in case it inspires any listener to follow in Wray's footsteps.

25. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Link Wray is God. The greatest guitarist who ever lived.

I sure hope Miriam can do this move successfully. Lord knows she's had her share of heartbreak with losing Billy.

Lonecat, mfp, dlemaudit and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.