The Odd & Obscure Hour (unusual, unjustly forgotten, or just plain weird stuff from movies and TV)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

This thread is for unusual, unjustly forgotten, or just plain weird stuff from movies and TV -- the kinds of things that might get posted to reddit's r/ObscureMedia. (The thread title is a tribute to the late great DJ Joe Donovon and his overnight Rock & Roll Revival show on WHAS 84 AM in Louisville Kentucky. His Odd & Obscure segment introduced me to some great records in the '90s)

In honor of our founder we'll start with something music related. Although I am a super fan of this series, I had absolutely no idea about this appearance until just a few minutes ago (the lady in question is billed under her then-married name of Carol Larkey).

FF to 22:00

Vidiot likes this.
  2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

3. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:laugh:

4. JozefK

vinnie and jamesmaya like this.
  5. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

This has got to be some kind of outtake, right?

6. JozefK

17 year old Charlton Heston makes his film debut in the title role of a silent feature version of Ibsen's Peer Gynt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ghostworld and Texastoyz like this.
  7. JozefK

An industrial musical is a musical performed internally for the employees or shareholders of a business, to create a feeling of being part of a team, to entertain, and/or to educate and motivate the management and salespeople to improve sales and profit. It can be used to increase staff awareness of public relations, advertising,marketing or corporate image.

Other terms for industrial musicals include the corporate musical or industrial show, but the latter can also refer to trade shows, which are publicity events organized by businesses in a specific industry to promote their products to potential buyers.

Industrial musicals are not restricted to corporations or to businesses involved in industry.

8. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

Kind of like this obscure band playing in the background here?

9. JozefK

That clip actually occurred to me, along with some other classics from the time, but having started with Carole King I didn't want people to think this thread limited to music.

Anyway, since we've started down that path, here's Lowell George's band:

The Factory were (was?) also on F Troop (same episode that gave us "Mr Tambourine Man") but I don't see that one on YT.

fr in sc likes this.
  10. JozefK

RIP Stan Freberg

Vidiot, Dan C, Ghostworld and 2 others like this.
  11. JozefK

Oh what might have been...

12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I just watched this Perry Mason episode a few days ago. I was surprised when I saw Dick Clark show up.

Dick Clark coming on the Perry Mason set. He had a significant role in "The Final Fade-Out", which was the final episode for the old Perry Mason series. Jackie Cooogan was also in that episode.

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.
  13. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Davy Jones performing an unfamiliar version of a familiar song..from "The Farmer's Daughter" 1965

fr in sc, billdcat, Mal and 1 other person like this.
  14. JozefK

Doesn't the plot of the Perry Mason finale deal with a producer trying get back his syndication rights?

:laugh:

Clark was actually a decent actor. He's not bad in Because They're Young, and gives a respectable supporting performance in a medical soaper called The Doctors.

15. JozefK

There's a Ben Casey (like The Monkees and The Farmer's Daughter, a Columbia Studios production) where Davy plays a heroin addict.

Fans will recognize the Farmer's Daughter set from the Davy and Mike Nesmith auditions

16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

There was a lot of veiled humor in that final episode. A lot of the stage crew was also used for the small bit parts.

17. JozefK

A classic number reteaming Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor, from a 1959 TV special.

18. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Phil Harris and Dean Martin having tea and singing about it!

keef00 likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

In this clip, Jack Benny and Groucho Marx do an awesome spoof of Groucho's game show "You Bet Your Life"

20. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Texastoyz and smilin ed like this.
  21. JozefK

Those who know Shawn only from The Producers and/or Mad Mad World may be surprised at how brilliant a standup he could be:

22. JozefK

A long NPR story on Industrial Musicals, featuring Sheldon Harnick (Fiddler On The Roof lyricist) who worked on several.

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/05/24320...age-to-boost-morale-companies-burst-into-song

Also features Letterman writer Steve Young, author of a book on the subject:

[​IMG]

Young has a website devoted to the form:

http://www.industrialmusicals.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for those who think this an ancient phenomenon, supposedly Wal-Mart produced one for its shareholders meeting in 2006.

23. JozefK

John Cale, future member of The Velvet Underground, on I've Got A Secret (1963)

24. JozefK

Ron Goldman, murder victim in the O.J. Simpson case, on the TV show Studs (1992):

Mal likes this.
  25. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

TCM airs a lot of those (rather bizarre) industrial/informational/educational films in between movies.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.