The office

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ted Bell, Mar 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist Thread Starter

Any fans of this show on the BBC cable channel? Absolutely hilarious-David Brent has to be one of the all time best sitcom jerks, up there with Ted Baxter, Louie DePalma, Eddie Haskell, etc.

Jay N.

2. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Yep, that show is one of the funniest I've seen in a while. :D

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I saw the second series/season premiere on BBC-America last night. Very funny stuff. That reminds me that I have been meaning to snag the R1 DVD of the first series.

One thing that was slightly annoying was that the episode I watched last night was not letterboxed, but it looked like it should have been based on the stuff that was being cut-off on the sides of the screen. I saw the first series letterboxed on BBC-America, so I am confused. Are they airing it in different formats at different times, or is the second series supposed to look like this?

Regards,

4. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I bought the first series when it came out in North America a few weeks ago and love it. The second series was released in the UK this week and I'm not going to wait for it to come out over here. I recently got a region-free player and have got my copy of the DVD coming from Amazon UK.

Cheers,
    Chris

5. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Ah, but have you been to Slough.
    Bought a used a car there once. What's worse, MarkM (who denies it) actually works in that very same office. Jeff

6. MARKM

MARKM Member

OK, I live in Slough, "F A C T", OK!?

But I don't work in *that* office........

"Today Slough, tomorrow Burnham, perhaps even Bracknell....."
    (David Brent)

MarkM.

7. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I have finally found my sig!!!

8. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Woo hoo! Just got my DVD of the second series in the post today from Amazon UK. Can't wait to see how things have deteriorated at the office.

Cheers,
    Chris

9. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I cannot stop watching the first season of THE OFFICE. I have Christmas movies I've neglected in favor of watching a randon episode JUST ONE MORE TIME.

Does anyone know when Season 2 will be released in R1?

10. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Do you guys realize there's only 12 episodes of this show? Does that qualify it for England's longest running sitcom?

11. Ken_McAlinden

Fawlty Towers tied it with twelve once the missing episode from season two was located. :laugh:

Regards,

12. Togo

Togo Same as it ever was

Quality not quantity, guys!!! :D

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

the show is hilarious...one of the all-time greats.

if this ran on PBS like in the old days it would be a craze!

.....**remember one in the bum, no harm done**....

14. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Yes, but does anyone know when Season2 is coming out in R1? I don't know why I am frantic to know, given how often I watch the Season 1 episodes over and over.

15. Ken_McAlinden

I haven't heard anything yet, but Season Two just finished its initial run on BBC America, so I hope it is coming soon. I didn't think it was quite as good as Season One as it got almost too mean-spirited at times, but it is still very funny. Brent's foray into motivational speaking alone would be worth the price of the season set.

Regards,

16. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I read about an Easter Egg on the R2 disc of Season 1, so I thought I'd try it on my R1 disc. Sure enough, it's there. On the main menu, hit enter when you hear the telephone ring.

Anyone else know about this one? Are there any others?

17. Ted Bell

Yes, and Tina Turner's "Simply the Best" has taken on new meaning...

18. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

The Office is the most cringingly dreadful sitcom I've ever seen. Funny? you must be joking.

19. Ken_McAlinden

I think it is the most cringingly hilarious sitcom I've ever seen. Not funny? You must be self-employed. :)

Regards,

20. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

I recently got a region-free DVD player and purchased the second series as soon as it was released a couple months back. It may be even better than the first series. David Brent as a "motivational speaker"! Fantastic!!!

Cheers,
    Chris

21. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

No, I work in an office full of warts just like the sitcom, and they make me heave. Why bother to watch it on the box when I can see the real thing every day?

Kind regards,

22. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

I, too (of course) think THE OFFICE is hilarious, but I can see your very-well-put point. I teach high school English, and I quit watching BOSTON PUBLIC long ago. But, BOSTON PUBLIC has about as much credibility in its plots as a Steven Segal movie.

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

You mean, high school teachers don't look like lingerie models?

24. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I just bought The Office on DVD this weekend, blind (not having seen it previously); I tend to love British comedy, and there's been quite a buzz about this show. I had seen a few brief clips online, but that's it.

I've watched the first two episodes so far, and apart from a few brief bits (mostly revolving around Tim and Gareth) I didn't really see too much that made me laugh. Maybe the remaining four episodes are better (I'm still waiting to see the one containing the scene where the boss starts doing his bizarre dance in front of everyone, sans music) ... I hope so.

(And I also do work in an office, rather similar to the one in the show.)

25. Ted Bell

The dance is in season 2, so it won't be on your DVD set. My favorite episode in season 1 (and possibly the whole series) is when they bring in the management consultant to lecture them and improve their teamwork.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.