The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Between the late 60s/early 70s (man!) and the golden age of the 80s, the mid-to-late 70s seems to be an overlooked era waiting to be re-discovered by hard & heavy rock fans.

2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Hmmm...what just arrived?

zen and Rapid Fire like this.
  3. dmiller458

Is that Graham Bonnet on the mic?

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Something about Candlemass that I can't get past. In theory, I should like them: crushing doom metal but the vocals just kind of it kill for me. I did like their attempt at stoner doom with From the 13th Sun though. Honestly, I like Leif Edling's solo stuff better than most Candlemass.

Dreadnought likes this.
  5. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Indeed...and just skimming though it they should never have attempted Stargazer...
    :D

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  6. I was at the 1980 Monsters of Rock....the first one at Donnington.
    Priest stole the show, but I still enjoyed Rainbows set.
    Bonnet could never sing the Dio stuff....but was a good vocalist in his own right...very distinctive.

7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Got mine too!

Curveboy likes this.
  8. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Prior to heart surgery 2 years ago I only got maybe 1-5 total a migraines year. But post surgery the first month I had 28!!!! (that I knew about - also was getting them in my sleep and only knew if I happened to wake up, could have had more than 28). That amount slowly tapered off each month but now, 2 years later, I now get at least 5 a month, sometimes more, even more than one attack a day (get the aura, get a dull headache, it recedes, then later get auras all over again hours later). Many people seem to get them after being on a heart/lung machine for unexplained reasons, but I learned it is a common thing thanks to a heart forum. I've also read some interesting theories lately that these can be due to "little" blood clots forming due to holes in the heart (or something like that) that then travel up to the the brain and cause migraines. I now have an artificial aorta heart valve which causes "turbulence" in the blood flow around the valve and could cause deadly clots (I am on blood thinners to keep that risk minimized) & maybe that is the cause of my increased migraines, getting small clots. Anyways, if your migraines are escalating my sympathies.

9. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Jeez, I sure hope the worst is over and smooth sailing forward. I've had nothing serious. My main daily complaint is rusty hinges: knees, elbows, shoulders, etc wearing out. Will give myself a dose of heavy sonic tonic when home! :D

GodShifter likes this.
  10. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

Sorry to hear the vinyl is messed up. The album is fantastic and may be my favorite of his. I love the diversity and the hair metal-eqsue riff on "Until I Too Dissolve" is pretty damn awesome.

Dreadnought likes this.
  11. dmiller458

Doom is my favorite extreme metal. So I love Candlemass, no matter who's handling the vocals...

12. GodShifter

Dude, you and @Mike F are two of my favorites on here; I hope you both are around for some time (never mind I suffer from my own maladies).

Cheers & beers, gentlemen :cheers:

Dreadnought and slipkid like this.
  13. GodShifter

I'm a big fan of doom metal, too, but I can't stomach Messiah Marcolin. I've tried and just can't do it.

14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Sorry, wasn't trying to elicit sympathy or anything, just commiserating with a fellow migraine (aura) sufferer and share some possible causes. I probably should have just contacted him direct rather than in the thread. Maybe it might help somebody else though. Anyways enough health crap, back to music...

GodShifter and Dreadnought like this.
  15. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Do you also have the vinyl? I have had one reply on discogs and supposedly that other guys record is fine.

16. GodShifter

I didn't take it as eliciting sympathy at all. Let's face it, most of us are oldsters and are facing all kinds of physical deterioration and other health problems. I see no harm in sharing and commiserating with each other. If nothing else, it humanizes us and makes us less just names on a screen but more real acquaintances who share similar interests & problems. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  17. No No No

No No No Active Member

Unfortunately I don't remember Lizzy from when they were around, but wow, were they good! With Phil's charisma and songwriting combined with the classy playing of the other lads, they really had it all and they delivered a great series of albums that must put them among the best heavy rock bands ever. Ask me my favourite heavy rock album ever and most of the time I'll probably say Jailbreak.

As a side note, I used to live just round the corner from the church where Phil was christened (St Edward's in Birmingham).

Trillmeister and slipkid like this.
  18. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

Sorry I don't. If I run into any info about it I will post back here.

Marko K likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

I didn't see it as that at all. And even if someone did go for that it's not a terrible thing. Obviously it's something they needed. Actually afterward I felt my reply was too brief but I was just grabbing a moment at work. I regretted not emphasizing that yours were genuinely big health events. Real tough stuff. Great that you survived all that.

Well said! Listening to music has been an integral part of my life all my life and sometimes it brings a little more understanding to include a few personal details when describing a piece of music that's really moving me. Often the first draft of anything I write has more personal stuff but usually I edit it out as not essential.

It certainly makes things around here more enjoyable when a steady presence such as yourself Gshifter is so levelheaded and straight talking. It's a great combo!
    :edthumbs:
    (I won't go describing beyond those two cuz well that's enough for one day :laugh:).

I'll have to get back to this later. I'll always be interested in the singer of what was my very fav album of the genre back then, In the Nightside Eclipse. Although "Black" was the genre name I just couldn't apply it to that Emperor album because black to me was nihilistic and minimal and Nightside was full of emotional peaks and variety.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

It's odd because in retrospect, this incarnation of Rainbow is regarded with strong variance in the affections (or otherwise) of 'classic' Heavy Rock fans but at the time, the sound of a Ballard penning finding fruition via Fendered Strat was the signal to assume the position and boogie with Wøtan.

I've never got on with the sound of this record (Down To Earth, I mean) but as is so often the case, the simple ritual of gross crankage overcomes negativity and the excuse-free renditions of 'Genius At Work' prevail.

I dunnalf miss The (Other) Master's rockspawnings. He's 71. Flippin' 'eck.

Dreadnought likes this.
  21. Dreadnought

Oh man! :biglaugh:That put the biggest, best smile on my face today. Strangely, I read that just as I myself felt prone in some strange ceremony, relentlessly pressed by incantations in a language I did not understand. Though I have lately been watching/suffering through too many cheesy 70s occult B-movies. It was after 4:00 so just skip to 4:00 to avoid needless suffering.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
    Trillmeister likes this.
  22. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

:edthumbs: :cheers:

My late father once sat on a plane bound for Eire and found himself next to a lady by the name of Philomena and from around this time, I have hazy recollections of being driven hither and thither as a young apprentice i'th'ranks of the Metal Militia when 'Killer On The Loose' (aired with some frequency on UK radio during 1980) would come on, as we motored along and he would begin what young 'uns today would refer to as 'pure facepalm' by physically indulging an enthusiastic sing-along; dear me.

You exhibit fine judgment to cite this album: I'd go so far as to claim Jailbreak is not just a perfect Heavy Rock album but a perfect album, per se and the production from start to finish represents a paragon of 70s studio twiddle.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
    No No No and Dreadnought like this.
  23. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

New Gorguts EP

Dreadnought likes this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

You were correct; a 2 disc set arrived. I complained to AmazonUK, told them I didn't need a refund or exchange but that the seller wasn't being honest and they refunded my money anyway. I often order my imports though them and this is only the second time I've had an issue with something ordered and both times they great to deal with.

slipkid likes this.