The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

One of the best Metal songs ever.... great riff, great drums

Brenald79 and Stormrider77 like this.
  2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

and one of the heaviest riffs....

By the way... also one of the best movies !!!

Brenald79 and $tinkfoot like this.
  3. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

The first Matrix movie is one of the greatest ever at least in my book of movie masterpieces.

I don't remember Ministry being on the soundtrack.

4. $tinkfoot

$tinkfoot Forum Resident

That "matrix" mix, or whatever it is, sounds terrible.

This sounds much better

5. Unsane

Unsane Well-Known Member

I thought I'd just share these guys from Cardiff with you as I've not seen any mention of them in the forums. Like most modern metal bands their recordings are rather compressed, but their musicianship and the grindingly heavy sound makes up for it in my opinion; if there was a bit more dynamic range in the recordings I don't think I'd end up listening to anything else.

If you don't like heavy doom instrumental mastery don't bother watching.

GodShifter likes this.
  6. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

King Kobra...Rock Candy just released new remasters of the first two albums. Unfortunately they used Jon "the Butcher" Astley who decimated these recordings. Not only that; they had the nerve to use the term "audiophile" when describing the mastering process.

:thumbsdow

7. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I think I've got a 'Rock Candy' rerelease by someone the senility currently prevents me recalling but the name ('Rock Candy') sounds like something that should be shaped like a plastic, toy pony and pitched at very young people keen on a career in hair dressing.

A bit like the label who issued Bad News's first single: 'Frilly Pink.' Not ideal...

Anyway, I'm currently revelling in the excellent use of stereo that characterises the many orgasm-inducing, aural fairground that is an original issue CD of so far, so good...so what!

There may be finer things in this realm of perception we call life but I'm not sure they can be too numerous.

[​IMG]

(Bloody hell, this was the last time I saw these titans... a time that's gone, now.)

Rose River Bear and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Get the Legendary Masters of these bad boys; sound incredible.

I actually FB-messaged RCR about these releases prior to ask them if they were going to be released with any extras as I didn't see the value in buying them again since I love the CDs I already have.

To date, nary a word ...

9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's just frustrating...Rock Candy is so hit-or-miss. The KIX stuff was fantastic, and the King Kobra a disaster.

Jimmy Agates, GodShifter and Cooks420 like this.
  10. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

The KIX remasters are definitely cool.

Curveboy and Jimmy Agates like this.
  11. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

One of the most perfect albums I've ever heard, bar none. And catchy as hell, too! HevyDevy is love. HevyDevy is life! :)

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I think that's his best effort. He's done a ton of good stuff but Ocean Machine is pretty flawless.

warewolf95 likes this.
  13. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

14. Dreadnought

I didn't know about this EP release last spring. Nice!

Trillmeister likes this.
  15. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Great, Mikey; musically top notch post-short ass doomery without recourse to that which sees me hit the snooze button but I was hoping to hear some vocal cannonisation.

(Try and pretend the drum sound isn't really happening; instead, row at ramming speed with the vocal swell and über groove.)

Dreadnought likes this.
  16. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Hello, gentlemen. This seems to be a fun thread. In keeping with the epic doom theme, the best album of 2016:

Conduit, by King Goat

Has both the good and the bad. What's good is glorious, though.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2017
    GodShifter likes this.
  17. Dreadnought

Hehe, snooze button. :agree:
    I've done a terrible job of wrasslin' with bands with large catalogues such as Candlemass. And that includes having both BOC and Tull simmering on the two rear burners. The reason is is that I cannot stop devoting time daily to searching new music, and off I go down that tributary. I saw my elder counterpart in the corner store yesterday. He had to be 90 and his gnarled tree root hands were carefully scratching his lottery ticket. Hope eternal.
    I don't get too far into any body of work before I get spellbound by a song. A month or so ago I listened to this a few times daily for a week. I wanted to begin a campaign of mystery and bafflement by putting up banners and slipping notes to strangers which read "To open up your dreams you need seven silver keys". Of course I don't know what it means either. No doubt some conniving Boris and Natasha would somehow cash in on the buzz.

Ah, don't mind me. I'm in mourning. I went for a trim yesterday and received a full blown cut! With the snip of shears I was thrown from 1977 to 1987. I took a photo before the massacre. I shall light a candle. :cry:

[​IMG]

Trillmeister likes this.
  18. Dreadnought

You know how a plumber or other mechanically inclined person can be an artist of efficiency and competence. So it is with Italy's Baphomet's Blood, though they could as well have called themselves MotorVenom. Such a satisfying album from start to finish but damn the satanic shtick is beyond annoying.

stay crunchy likes this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I read in an interview with him that a place in British Columbia called Deep Cove inspired the concept on this album. Great view of the ocean (obviously), tons of rains, misty. I've gone hiking there lots listening to this album on headphones.

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I love Terria also, he really hit his stride around this time.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

That's a really good one. I also like his Accelerated Evolution album. He really hasn't done anything too terrible other than the Ziltoid thing which I hated. I wasn't a big fan of Physicist either.

22. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Getting lots of positive buzz, the 2nd LP from Power Trip.

23. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Heard it a couple days ago, not bad. I wish they had stronger hooks and more memorable riffs. Sumerlands has the same problem.

Deuce66 likes this.
  24. Dreadnought

I've been listening to it on and off for the past month. Ultimately it's a confection; it's sweet but I can't listen repeatedly like something of greater depth and substance. Unfortunately I find this too often. Passing fancies, tasty snacks. What I really want is Gourmet Metal. Something to savour slowly, and be placed permanently on the Metal menu for other occasions.

weekendtoy and Deuce66 like this.
  25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

This has got to be a "the-grass-is-always-greener" thing. During the 80s, a large swath of American rock fans would have told you that the UK indie chart was (for lack of a better word) the hippest chart in all of rock & roll. Rock fell off the Hot 100 in 1997; it took twelve years before we saw a similar drop-off on the UK singles chart.

We have a lot of radio stations that play a wide variety of all kinds of music. But the US airwaves seem even more segregated now than they were before Presley came along. And everything is over-commercialized and bands here are just as reduced to one or two signature songs as you describe things there.

Unless you live near a college town, you're never going to hear anything close to the underground. As far as metal goes, you'll never hear Maiden or Saxon, Slayer or Anthrax; let alone extreme.

Am I too geezerly to understand that streaming has made radio obsolete? Everybody drives in the US, so I guess that rock radio will always survive in some form or another.