The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

mine came today. will play it tomorrow

2. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I realise they went a bit Dire Straits last time but the impact of F. Time seems equally pressing on Deep Purple, although the snips I've heard of the new record sound A-OK compared to the 2013 [yikes!] outing (that has sunk in my estimations since its release) with IG sounding fresher which seems incredible.

Conversely, the stock of the last 'Priest endeavour has risen quite a bit and Halfjørd's delivery seems undiminshed: to me, their post-RH reunion material is far more atuned to the 70s sensibility; conceptual, grandiose and theatrical versus the relatively insipid, bubble gum Metal of 1986-90. For example, the title track 'Nostradamus' is a slayer of the old school but with production values fit to combust on sight all those who play False Metal (or tolerate the existence of the music of E. Sheeran or the post M. Carey 'female warble.')

[​IMG]

3. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Scooped Nostradamus for under £3 delivered on ebay this morning. I'm terrible at listening to streams so disc in hand will sort it out.

4. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

I gotta ask something. Priest has, what, 20 albums at this point. Even assuming Nostradamus and Redeemer contain anything exciting enough to be worth hearing, how often do you guys actually play them? As in, you wanna hear some Priest and you pick Nostradamus over Stained Class or Painkiller or Brtish Steel. How often does this happen?

See, that's my problem with Redeemer especially. Sure enough, there's something good there, but I simply can't make any room for that album, between the new bands and the stuff that's old, but that stands up year after year.

5. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

agreed. I've played those 2 newer albums one time each since the start of 2016

6. ifihadafish

I'm still coming in fresh with Redeemer and will still lift it for a fix of Priest. It's up there with Painkiller for me, so if I need that sort of Priest, I'm lifting Redeemer as its new.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I picked up the new KXM but haven't gotten to it yet...maybe later today.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I ordered a couple of CD's yesterday!

Brenald79 likes this.
  9. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I listen to my edited version of Nostradamus at least once a month, and about the same for Redeemer.
    I put Sword of Damocles and Battle Cry up there with the best of 'Priest.

paradox55 and ifihadafish like this.
  10. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

11. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

That's what I wanted to know. But do you listen to them more frequently than some other Priest albums?

12. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

In general, yes.
    Here is the thing; I've heard the old stuff. A lot. I love for classic bands to release new material, because...well...its new. And hopefully exciting. So if you really want to dig into my listening habits...

I have a playlist of 80 'Priest tunes (with a few Halford/Fight tunes thrown in) that I mainly listen to. This includes some live or alternate versions as I may have the original version in my main METAL playlist (around 1900 tunes)

So when I'm feeling like some JP I will throw that on. But sometimes I'm a bit more focused, and I put on the Nostradamus playlist or the Redeemer* playlist. I also have a Twin Turbo's** playlist I've been fiddling with. All that said I'm not a huge fan of Angel of Retribution, though I do like a few tracks on it.

*Redeemer of Souls playlist
    Dragonaut
    March of The Damned
    Sword of Damocles
    Down In Flames
    Tears of Blood
    Hell & Back
    Snakebite
    Crossfire
    Secrets of The Dead
    Battle Cry
    Redeemer of Souls

**Twin Turbos playlist
    Ram It Down
    Turbo Lover
    Come and Get It
    Parental Guidance
    Prisoner of Your Eyes
    I'm A Rocker
    All Fired Up
    Hot For Love
    Out In The Cold
    Thunder Road
    Hard As Iron
    Reckless
    Blood Red Skies
    Monsters of Rock

Matthew Tate and Dreadnought like this.
  14. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

No, I get it. No matter how good something like SfV is, for example, I can't listen to it every week or so either. Or even every six months, to be honest.

And it is kinda cool that they're still releasing albums.

15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

PS - and I know Trill will blast me for excluding Halls of Valhalla from my Redeemer playlist but I can't get past those "growls" Halford does in the middle.

16. ifihadafish

Thanks to me not having access to a tape player - then giving the albums away to a friend, Screaming, Defenders and Turbo were only recently purchased on CD - breaking a vacation from them of about 20 years (at a guess). Talk about getting hit with a classic 1-2-3 series of punches, and then throw into the mix the awesome Redeemer of Souls clicking with me - its been quite a year of Priest revival for me.

Screaming was so good - I had to buy the shirt.

GodShifter, Pouchkine and Curveboy like this.
  17. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Newb, 2017 "Dude, I just heard Sad Wings for the first time. It's kick@$$, man!" :rolleyes:

I talked before about how so much of this is regional. I was living in KY when I first saw Priest in concert at Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium. If I'd still been living in Michigan, I wouldn't have seen them.

I've also talked about how it's generational. For almost any excellent album, whether it's groundbreaking or merely kick@$$, it's easy to recognize right from that first listen. Some of us heard Stained Class within weeks or months of its release, others first heard it years even decades after the fact. I didn't have 40 years of baggage to set aside when I listened.

Just as with Sabbath, I listened to Turbo and Ram It Down over and over and over and over trying to get my mind wrapped around what they were going for musically. I might've listened to them more than Redeemer or Rocka Rolla.

Is Nostradamus a standard power and progressive metal album or does it only sound standard because Priest set those standards? Was I listening to Priest as Priest or through the filter of everything that came before? Or does it even matter? Because as I've said so many times; once you become a legend, the normal rules no longer apply.

GodShifter, Pouchkine and Curveboy like this.
  18. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

I take it that your anger management counselor is out of town?

dmiller458 likes this.
  19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Is that the only thing you took away from my post?

20. Re: Priest.
    With me, it's like most bands, artists.....My listening is streaky.
    I will go weeks, months of hardly playing stuff...Then, bosh!!!!
    The digital era has changed my listening habits in as much I'll listen to comps more....Certainly in the car.
    I've made anthology comps for most of my favorites artists/bands and they along with a ever growing Rock/ Metal comp are my staple's.
    As regards Priests Redeemer Of Souls....I think it's a great album ruined by sludgy, bass heavy production.
    Didn't anyone play this back after mastering?
    The cut and splice digital era might make it easier for a band....I think Biff Bifford said you could record a album to a laptop these days..... but something magical seems to get lost in most recordings now.

Pouchkine likes this.
  21. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

More power to you if you could trick everyone in this thread to tolerate you. Not all trolls are created equal. Don't think I don't appreciate it.

dmiller458 likes this.
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

The mastering is certainly odd on Redeemer

Pouchkine likes this.
  23. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Completely unrelated to the content of your post but your use of Dire Straits reminds me that I was at the musical game of trying to come up with which 1975-1980 band these current guys sound like. (<- Someone stick a comma in there somewhere. My brain is too lazy today). Not a great album but it did hold my attention sufficiently. Tracks 1-3 hold me pretty well then 4 is like a slap across the face with a wet trout.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  24. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Not often, probably because they exist in the hazy, meteor showered, outer rim of my JP solar system but in a way, that only improves the experience when the respective corks are popped.

Bits of AOR work very well but as the record progresses, I tend to lose interest whereas with N, I have generally fortified myself with some revolting plonk from somewhere where people speak French and German and discover the strength to push on through till dawn.

Not that being utterly w@nkered and listening to N are inseparable experiences because the latter is a stand alone meisterwerk.

25. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Well, yeah, I'd have to be pretty drunk too.

Cool avatar, man.

Trillmeister likes this.