The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Apparently I can only comment if I'm her "friend"...

2. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

Death Penalty are the band Serpentcult with Gaz Jennings formerly of Cathedral on guitar. I bought this CD unheard just because of the Cathedral connection; good stuff.

3. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

I was the same - out of nowhere the news broke that Garry Jennings had two albums out - Death Penalty and Lucifer so I immediately pounced on them - both really solid affairs and get a lot of plays now I have the discs. Saw Lucifer support Paradise Lost last year. I believe Lucifer II is near finished recording. Not sure if he will juggle both bands - as Death Penalty deserve to keep rolling on too.

I found it interesting that he has wound up in two female fronted bands. I've stated this elsewhere (probably in this thread) that Cathedral were one of the top bands of the last 25 years - and they worked as Lee Dorrian was such a key player for them - his vocals worked in that style, and his lyrics and stagecraft are all part of the Cathedral experience - but I feel they would have been a much bigger band with a 'real' singer at the helm. However I wouldn't change a thing about them!

4. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

Thanks, will have to check out Lucifer.

ifihadafish likes this.
  5. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

High Spirits' Motivator is an album I've been listening to a lot these past few weeks. Catchy heavy metal and near the top of the 2016 list:

Stormrider77 and dmiller458 like this.
  6. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Absolutely agree. Dorrian's voice is acquired taste at best and his lyrics were often (mostly) cringeworthy.

ifihadafish and krlpuretone like this.
  7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Unfortunately, at least according to the Metal Archives, Gaz is already out of Lucifer. I wonder how much input he had on Lucifer II before he left, if any. I love Joahanna Sadonis, so I'll stick with them, but disappointing to see he's already out. Death Penalty is, of course, nice consolation!

ifihadafish likes this.
  8. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

9. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I just saw something on that and it's actually Nicke Andersson (Hellacopters/Entombed) on guitar and drums on the new one!

LUCIFER (Ex-THE OATH) Replaces Its Guitarist And Drummer With ENTOMBED's Nicke Andersson - Metal Injection

ifihadafish and GodShifter like this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I think someone already mentioned this album earlier here, but I finally got a chance to hear it yesterday courtesy of a friend.

[​IMG]

I can't do a real review on it like I normally do (I only heard it yesterday and don't have it for myself yet), but here is some info from blabbermouth on it:

"Tygers Of Pan Tang" track listing:

01. Only The Brave
    02. Dust
    03. Glad Rags
    04. The Reason Why
    05. Never Give In
    06. Do It Again
    07. I Got The Music In Me
    08. Praying For A Miracle
    09. Blood Red Sky
    10. Angel In Disguise
    11. The Devil You Know

Robb Weir - guitar
    Jacopo Meille - vocals
    Micky Crystal - guitar
    Gav Gray - bass
    Craig Ellis - drums, percussion

I will say it is a very solid straight ahead old school hard rock/metal album, some great songs/melodies, decent singer. Took me by surprise how good it is although there was one song I wasn't that keen on, I dug everything else. It is on the same local label here in my town (Schwenskville, PA) as Diamond Head's new album which I've recommended highly a couple times in this thread already, and they have another winner here.

11. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Just listened tö The Revölution by Night again. :help: I was digging Shadöw of California more than usual. Dragön Lady was söundin' pretty good too - I would have been ready to say Shadöw and Dragön maybe cömbined for öne great/gööd söng. But yikes Let Go (it döesn't get an umlaut) is söööööö bad. And Veins is a very frustrating söng for me - there's a gööd söng in there I'm sure, but it's buried under möunds of layers of wimpy '80s keyböards.:realmad:

GodShifter likes this.
  12. BluesOvertookMe

Slipkid, your review of their first album piqued my interest, and ultimately led me to the video for Noises in the Sky today. I am going to buy this record; sounds great!

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

The new one is egg-salad.

(That is Ricardo Montabaln speak for "excellent" btw).

Jeff Kent and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

I acquired the taste and can live with the lyrics - too busy listening to Jennings riffage!

And news where Garry goes next please let me know - as those two records went under my radar for about a year.

On Facebook they (Lucifer) posted a new photo that only had the 3 faces on it - so I knew something was up.

15. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

Overkill has to be in the mix. A bunch of decent, but under the radar albums from 1992 to 2009 then 2010 brings Ironbound, which I'd rank as one of the 15 best thrash albums ever. The three albums since, Electric Age, White Devil Armory and The Grinding Wheel, are just as good.

weekendtoy and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

GodShifter and Trillmeister like this.
  17. BluesOvertookMe

Just watched it. It was interesting and fairly entertaining, but I am a sucker for Rock documentaries. It's certainly not the saddest music doc I've seen recently (that would be Thor, holy s*** wow). The constant changing of singers was rough, and I understand Frankie's frustration. He's a high-strung dude, though. I felt for Chuck Wright - he played on two songs on the Metal Health album, but no one knows this! Not the first time Rudy Sarzo has replaced someone and gotten more credit than who he replaced, though (see Bob Daisley and Neil Murray). My biggest frustration with the doc is that they clearly couldn't afford the music rights, so all we got was live tracks (except the song on Rehab, Sucks to be You).

Curveboy and GodShifter like this.
  18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Thanks to this thread I've picked up a few greatest hits discs and I'm really, really liking this band.

Jeff Kent, Deuce66 and Brenald79 like this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Chuck is only on two tracks on MH? I thought he played on the whole thing. Didn't he go on to play with Giuffria after QR?

Edit: you're right: two tracks.

Curveboy likes this.
  20. BluesOvertookMe

Unlike Diary of a Madman, where Rudy played on zero tracks, but got credit for all of them.

GodShifter likes this.
  21. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Complete aside: was perusing the Deep Purple website and saw a number of photos featuring fans with various band members - well, all the current line-up - bar Gillan. I then noticed in their 'meet the band packages' that IG appears to be specifically exonerated from this particular chore: will he desintegrate if he mixes with the plebs or is it that there exists some genuine allergy to gushing sycophancy? Curious...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. BluesOvertookMe

I assume it's to rest the voice. I'd love to meet him, but I bet Glover would be a more fun conversation.

zen likes this.
  23. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I'd be interesting in discussing his production work.

24. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I keep playing early 90s 'Maiden.

It attracts some derision, 'specially 'sans Smith' but I find some of the songs irresistible, espeically on Fear Of The Dark.

I may have suggested previously the possibly subconscious anti-'Maiden mindset due to their relative (speaking Metal-wise) ubiquity but I am such a sucker for their oft quoted, signature 'gallop; it's so fundamentally exciting and, well, definitively Metal!

Furthermore and I know Gers attracts even more derision but the runs of twin twiddle (frankly, across the band's whole catalogue) is breathtaking, truly consumate stuff, matched only by Glen and KK (at their best,) elsewhere whilst I'm sorry but Dickinson's voice... it's just sublime and again, post-RJD, sharing the throne with Mr. Halford.

As you were...

slipkid, Dreadnought and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I don't have an issue with Gers...I have an issue with Dickinson. He has always grated on me, and his growling though those early 90's discs doesn't help. I can't put him in the same league as Ronnie or Rob...Dickinson probable wouldn't make my top 25.

Now a Ronnie Romero or a Matti Alfonzetti...they are worthy!

On Fear of the Dark I like Wasting Love, and on No Prayer I like the title track and Public Enema #1 a lot.

gromich likes this.