The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

About the time I discovered Primal Fear, I discovered Wolf. Check them out.

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

It's always possible that they really do like those albums. Not every metal head has a visceral hatred for alt/nu metal or metalcore.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Yeah, true. I don't hate nu metal or metalcore at all but I do admit to being more of a traditionalist. I'd rather see High On Fire get a mention than SoaD or Avenge Sevenfold but that's me.

4. rebetis

rebetis Forum Resident

The bands Curveboy listed are Metal, IMO. Saying different is revisionism. Sure they are not as heavy as Slayer, Emperor or Carcass but they are still in the heavy metal family. Hard rock to me is Bryan Adams, Foreigner etc. The bands Curveboy listed were called metal in their respected timeline. In 78 or thereabouts Paul Stanley during an interview stated "we are a heavy metal band".

Crimson Witch and Purple like this.
  5. dmiller458

Avenged Sevenfold's at the top of the charts. High On Fire isn't. Any underground band can use a boost. Plus I prefer doom/stoner/drone/sludge...

6. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Reading these 'best of' lists I busted out the S/T Korn album on my walk today. It does have some very cool metal groove moments and really raised my blood pressure but in the end, it's nu-metal and I'll always have a hard time getting past that.

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Your off a sub-genre, Bryan Adams and Foeigner are Rock. :)

8. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

That Rolling Stone list ignores a lot of the great and classic European Power Metal albums (and American Power Metal albums.) None of the early Helloween, Blind Guardian or Rhapsody of Fire albums? No Iced Earth, Jag Panzer or Helstar?

Also, notice they ignore some of the great thrash bands outside of the commercial Big 4 successes, such as Overkill and Testament. I can argue that some of their albums are better than some of the thrash albums listed by Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  9. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I can live with that list.

Obviously people are going to argue the semantics and placement of their fave albums, and on those types of lists newer stuff always makes an appearance before a place in history is established. But a lot of the right stuff is in there somewhere.

Ehhh, Metal Health is a hard rock album. Or a Slade cover album. But not really a metal album. Falls more akin to AC/DC than Iron Maiden.

Has the definition of metal evolved since the 80s? Certainly.

Was Bon Jovi ever metal? Nope. Rock. Hard rock. Pop (their biggest songs were Desmond Child power ballads and had videos with lots of saucy hair-teased close ups) so maybe even a boy band. But not metal.

10. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

See original post - RS explains why they excluded certain obvious/debatable choices, problem is they also included Twisted Sister "Stay Hungry" in their list :doh:.

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

And no Whitesnake???

12. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

:laughup:

rebetis and Purple like this.
  13. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I definitely think Overkill's Feel The Fire or The Years Of Decay belong on the list.

neo123 likes this.
  14. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

1987 should be on the list.

Curveboy and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

16. Purple

Purple Forum Resident

Hard Rock was more like Styx, Rush, Boston, The Who, early Whitesnake, the Cult, Deep Purple, Zeppelin, Van Halen (etc). Pop/glam/hair metal bands like Kiss, Ratt, Twisted Sister, etc. were/are clearly different and considered, well, metal.

I don't know how anyone can call Metal Health not a metal album- it's the quintessential metal album.

rebetis and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. dmiller458

Well maybe you can tell him which albums you think he should like better.

18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you are right because it should have been twisted sister under the blade

19. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

for real. listen to this song. anyone in this thread. then find me a more metal song than this by kiss and i'll admit i was wrong

Brenald79 likes this.
  20. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Discussions on what's metal and what's not always seems like one step above a pissing contest.

21. rebetis

rebetis Forum Resident

It's like the "hair" metal discussion,( that term should be banned from existence) if you like it, it's metal if you don"t... you get the idea. I always found it funny how people like to change history.

22. rebetis

rebetis Forum Resident

As for lists, you almost never have obscure bands/ albums. People only want popular stuff unfortunately.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Pretty much, the entire genre and I'm lumping hard rock in there is so fragmented with categories and (sub) categories that the arguments become circular.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. rebetis

rebetis Forum Resident

HATE
    UNHOLY
    YOUNG AND WASTED
    CREATURES ALBUM
    PARASITE

This In Living Color song is the type of metal I hate. Can't get past his vocal delivery. And I love DEath/Black/Thrash metal. Go figure.

25. dmiller458

Help me out here. What does "more metal" even mean? Seems to me that it's either metal or it isn't.