The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

if someone says kiss is metal thats fine. i more wanted to know what disqualified rage and living colour as being metal

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Both Rage and LC are metal as far as I'm concerned. KISS was for a time but I still don't consider them a metal band by and large.

I mean, really, who cares ultimately?

3. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

I spent last night on YouTube learning what pirate metal was. I sort of question everything I know now.

Madness, PyroMessiah and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

That's great, but my question had nothing to do with San Francisco or with KISS.

5. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Alright let's get this thread back on track with the genre being kickass music. Let's start with how kickass is Y&T?

6. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Indeed.

Btw, on the Rising double CD 'deluxe' set, it's just struck me that that Disc 2's rough mixes may provide the definitive versions of the album, possessing (some) active bass.

Did I mention I can't stop playing Objection Overruled? Well, I can't!

The Pinhead and GodShifter like this.
  7. Trillmeister

Massively so.

I've had Mean Streak on several times this week: like Holy Diver, it's a flawless exposition of the late classic era in top gear.

8. Trillmeister

Sorry, DM, I had already seen that but skipped over it to remind myself.

This might sound terribly blinkered but I simply don't have a great inclination (or abundance of time) to uncover all the material discussed.

Yes, it's infinitely preferrable to 99% of allegedly popular 'mainstream' music du jour (in the UK and US) but as much as I appreciate the 'ideological aesthetics' of some of this stuff, I can't register much in the way of emotional contact and thus, the urge to merge, musically speaking, remains a latent impulse.

I do find myself mired in the 'family trees' which were growing and whose branches I clambered through as a younger gun: these forests are often so dense that as I've repeated often, there remain whole wooded areas that to me are wholly virgin: whether it's The James Gang, Marsden-Moody side projects or even all that solo Bruce Dickinson shrubbery - totally 'my bag' but at the time - it all entirely passed me by.

The 90s onwards was pretty much a non-event, Metal-wise, as I fell hook, line and sinker for the BS peddled by 'The Man' and it's only in recent years I've begun retrospectively foraging the dells and dingles hitherto unknown but can I really warm to the supercharged, ferric-Gothicism of the super slick opera contained within this episode? I'm not so sure.

weekendtoy and Jimmy Agates like this.
  9. dmiller458

I was disappointed with that lost episode mainly because he barely mentioned doom metal which is my favorite extreme subgenre. And extreme is too vast to be covered in a single hour anyways.

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Ivand likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Yes I know that song. Its just more down tuned

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I count only about 20 albums in that list that I even like, let alone would consider to be in the list of greatest Heavy Metal albums of all time.

laf848, Pouchkine, rebetis and 4 others like this.
  13. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

How the hell are Evanescence, Van Halen, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains on there!?! I like all those bands (except Evanescence, they're a pop band right?), but their definition of 'metal' must be very fuzzy to include them.

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. dmiller458

My problem is less with those that are there and more with so many obvious landmark albums that are missing. Seven Churches, Pleasure To Kill, Epicus Doomicus Metallicus come to mind. Somebody already mentioned Sad Wings.

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I saw that there's an official download release for Angel Witch's demos. Seventies Tapes, by Angel Witch I already have these as part of the 30th anniversary of their debut but if you dig the band and don't have the demos they are "name your price".
    The description: "These are the demo tapes recorded by Angel Witch in 1978 & 1979, on various reel to reel recording devices across the attics and front rooms of their native South London. These recordings comprise the earliest, embryonic versions of tracks such as ‘White Witch’, ‘Baphomet’ & ‘Sorceress’ which would remain staples in the Angel Witch live cannon almost 40 years later, testament to the songwriting skills of, the then 18 year old, Kevin Heybourne.
    These cuts are rough and raw, and all the better for it."

(I don't know the source of this five year old vid).

And I nearly didn't see the note at the end. So, any money given goes to a cause as well :thumbsup:

"PLEASE NOTE - YOU CAN PAY WHAT YOU WANT FOR THESE RECORDINGS, BUT ALL PROCEEDS WILL BE DONATED TO THE VICTIMS OF THE APPALLING FIRE WHICH TOOK PLACE AT GRENFELL TOWER, WEST LONDON, IN THE EARLY HOURS OF 14TH JUNE 2017. SO PLEASE GIVE GENEROUSLY AND LET ANYONE YOU THINK MAY BE INTERESTED KNOW ABOUT THIS PAGE.

THIS PAGE IS OFFICIALLY RUN BY THE BAND THEMSELVES
    released June 14, 2017

PyroMessiah and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  16. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Cool that he listed Warrior Soul's The Space Age Playboys. They're rarely mentioned to begin with, and if they are it's never that one. And that is a kickass album.

17. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I think it's a solid list for a magazine. Rolling Stone used to hate metal. Much better than something from Decibel or Revolver.

18. dmiller458

They still do.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

a lot of bands that are about as metal as a piece of string on that list. It's like these lists are always written by pre schoolers.

vonseux likes this.
  20. vonseux

vonseux Re-channeled Stereo

Lars article was a surprisingly good read

Dorian75 likes this.
  21. dmiller458

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Less so than the past. They used to ignore metal and bash Sabbath and Zeppelin in reviews.

23. rebetis

rebetis Forum Resident

Decibel is not bad, no clue why Revolver is still around, I hope Iron Fist from the UK is still around, best one as of now , me thinks....

Crimson Witch likes this.
  24. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

A few choice selections from the 1992 "Rolling Stone Album Guide" that I still have on the shelf...

Black Sabbath (s/t) = 2 of 5 stars
    Heaven & Hell = 2 of 5 stars
    Headless Cross = 1 of 5 stars

JP - Sad Wings = 2 of 5 stars
    JP - Screaming for Vengance = 2 of 5 stars
    (*note they gave Turbo 2.5 stars... go figure)

Maiden - Piece of Mind = 2 of 5 stars
    Maiden - Powerslave = 2.5 of 5 stars
    (*note they gave No Prayer 3.5 stars... go figure)

QR - Warning = 1.5 of 5 stars
    QR - Rage for Order = 2.5 of 5 stars

Whitesnake - Slip of the Tongue = 1.5 of 5 stars

They liked Zeppelin though... first 6 albums had 4+ stars. Metallica albums scored relatively well too.

25. dmiller458

The first edition rated every one of Sabbath's albums as worthless.

Pouchkine and Matthew Tate like this.