The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Don't make me puke....please...not even in jest.

2. I'm sure this has been posted before, but I didn't know that Watchtower had recorded anything after 1989. We opened up for these guys a long time ago.

Wow! This is better than anything they did in the '80s!

3. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Love Watchtower: Concepts of Math, a mathematical puzzle of progressive metal. I believe it's a collection of previously released singles along with one new song.

Short at 29 minutes I hope someday they will get their sh!t together and release another album.

4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

5. dmiller458

6. Matthew Tate and Soundslave like this.
  7. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

And for all intents and purposes they've buried those early albums.

8. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

I bet you and I could easily come up with a respectable Top 10 List of metal albums without Puppets:

Justice - Metallica
    Rust - Megadeth
    Number - Maiden
    Sound or Leprosy (depends on which version you like) - Death
    Painkiller - Priest
    Them - King
    Oath - Mercyful
    Vulgar or Driven - Pantera
    Rising - Rainbow
    Diver - Dio
    South or Reign or Seasons (they're all the same to me as I'm not a huge fan, but others have a very definite preference) - Slayer
    First 4 Sabbath album

And I'm sure I'm missing more essential top 10 caliber albums, but that's enough to work with for now I think :)

9. I bet anybody could, but that doesn't mean it holds water to taste. Plus, you just listed more than 10. :p

10. dmiller458

Yeah, I doubt they're going to get re-issued any time soon.

jason202 likes this.
  11. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Slayer will be performing "Raining Blood" tonight on the Tonight Show.

12. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Right - I'm arguing we could pick 10 albums from those listed and come up with a respectable list that doesn't need Puppets to be valid.

13. dmiller458

Metal has a nearly fifty years history. Ten albums is now too few to give a complete picture.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. And my point was, leaving off Puppets as a milestone in metal that it was (and to a large extent, still is) is near blasphemous for any Top-10 metal list.

It doesn't matter, though, because it's all opinion, and opinions are fairly cool to have.

Like, I'm sure my Top-10 all-time metal list would be different from anybody else's. In fact, maybe I should think of one off the cuff.

Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Slayer - Reign in Blood
    Anthrax - Among the Living
    Voivod - Dimension Hatross
    Fates Warning - No Exit
    King Diamond - Them
    Testament - The New Order
    Megadeth - Peace Sells...But Who's Buying
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son...
    Death Angel - The Ultra-Violence

See, not duplicating bands, and chossing only those that I purchased when they came out, having a profound effect on me.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  15. dmiller458

All yours seem to have come out in the same general time frame 86-88.

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  17. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Alek Darson Panopticon (progressive metal, 2013 EP, physical CD available)

18. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Alek Darson at Rosfest 2014 played the instrumental opening track from above mentioned EP:

19. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Will agree to disagree. "Puppets" is a great album, but not without its flaws in my eyes. "Thing ..." is just a boring, plodding song, and I hold "Justice" in a much higher regard. If that's blasphemous, then so be it.

fuzzface likes this.
  20. dmiller458

If leaving off a milestone album like Master is near blasphemous, then how is it justifiable to leave off similar milestones from outside 86-88?

Cooks420 likes this.
  22. dmiller458

Cooks420 likes this.
  23. @dmiller458 Haha! I wasn't dodging the question. I merely thought that my previous answers were sufficient.

The point is, I have an opinion that claims that Master of Puppets is necessary for a Top-10 list, but, based upon personal opinion if it's not, well, that's okay, too, meaning that "blasphemous" is pretty tongue-in-cheek.

That my personal list turned out the way it did was pretty much coincidence by not wanting to repeat the same band twice. I didn't mean for it to be in the 1986-1988 time period, so perhaps that a reflection upon me and my influences, at the time, opposed to anything else, other than, again, not naming the same band twice.

To that end, it's obvious that the links you posted are opinions from those guys, as well, but because they are famous it holds more weight for some reason.

Regardless, if I had told myself that I could repeat the same bands, my list would have covered a larger period of time. Nevertheless, it shows that I was shaped by a certain period, as assuredly we all are, yet our opinions could be dependent on when we actually heard an album, as opposed to when it was released.

In the spirit of full disclosure, though, I quit buying metal albums around 1991-92. I've heard a few since then, of course, but the landscape changed not to my liking. Therefore, my knowledge of metal is from about 1970-1992. I'm limited. Sure, there are a few bands that I followed after that, but for some reason it was never quite the same. 1992 happens to be the year I graduated high school and started to make some real money. Maybe I no longer had a reason to be angry, so I began listening to a lot of Prince and started to get laid. Haha!

dmiller458 likes this.
  24. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

+1 just for Dimension Hatross - RUSH/Floyd on steroids!

EVOLVIST likes this.
  25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right.... one of the best of all time.