The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yeah I liked them when they first came out too. Stopped following them after a couple albums. Have no idea what they've been up to....

GodShifter likes this.
  2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Question.......I had this on vinyl back in the early '80s. and the only version I've ever gotten was on CD .The "Remastered"+6 bonus tracks(which I didn't care for ) that I have is the REMIX remastered CD. Is there a better mastering ?Or even the Orig. better? Curious...

3. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

They have a new album just released. They UK loved these guys. Terrorizor Mag listed their first album in the top 100 of the 90s. Quite prolific with 5 albums in 5 years. I have the first 3 but would like to get the 4th Chill Pill someday. The drummer got murdered n 2005.

4. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

That band certainly makes you appreciate everything Van Halen brought to the table besides some guitar tricks.

5. Natvecal.

Coroner - Grin
    I liked the production/sound of this release.A lot of "Off -ness" type grooves was appealing to me on this. Meshugga influences possibly?Thoughts?
    Love the off time outro (aprox 5:05 mark)cool off meter groove and the back masking drums is a cool effect too...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
  6. Natvecal.

Entombed- Wolverine Blues
    And for a raw/dirty sound I like this release. Saw these guys with Carcass (Heartworks tour) and another good release IMHO. Great show.(mid '90s)
    This is a great example of the raw/dirty-ness of their sound VS the cleaner sound of Coroner's Grin

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

You're hitting on cylinders here my friend. Grin is my favorite Coroner record while Wolverine Blues probably ranks in my top three Entombed albums. I love that death 'n' roll stuff (which Coroner is not of course).

Natvecal. likes this.
  8. GodShifter

Ha! You've heard of them! Most of the time when I mention Americade to people that like heavy music they just look at me with a blank stare. It's understandable as American Metal wasn't that well known or on a reputable label. I think they're probably most famous for Dave "The Beast" Spitz (Dan's brother) who would go to play with Black Sabbath for a brief time and Walt Woodward III who played with some other bands as well.

I actually talked to Gerard de Marigny several years ago about the band and what he and his brother were up to now. Gerard, believe it or not, is now a novelist. I think he's pretty heavy into religion as well (and conspiracy theory stuff, too). PJ, the other de Marigny, is now a stockbroker or something like that and pretty successful. They're both out of music for the most part. Gerard was a pretty good guitarist, but really sloppy and while he obviously wanted to his band to be the next Van Halen and he be the next Eddie, it wasn't the cards. Instead Americade was a cheap knock off. Did you ever hear their second album? OMG! It was so awful.

9. GodShifter

This is my favorite Coroner song from Grin. Great bass playing on the whole album.

10. Natvecal.

Thank you. I take that as a big compliment coming from you but, give me time and I'm sure to disappoint you at some point with a "What-TH-?o_O" from you ha ha:laugh:

But, when I was playing in bands (that went nowhere is to be noted here) I took to checking out so many bands and listening to what makes them tick. If that makes sense? Not figuring out the riffs. But hearing how they did stuff (the sound /structure/clever idea/ vibe/ect....) and I'm going off of the bands from the top of my head that stuck out to me even now. I'm so out of the loop with whats happening in the last 15+ years as I look at pages and pages of bands on your thread here that I'm at a loss to( even you guys comparing these bands to other bands that I'm like ," Huh?Who's that?" ha ha.So, I'm limited here but, having fun :righton:

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Natvecal.

Me too. Also thought these two made a good contrast IMHO

GodShifter likes this.
  12. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

Listened to the 1st album today for the 1st time. I’m a Van Halen fan so I’m always on the lookout for soundalike bands. Any other suggestions?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. GodShifter

Not really, no. The only other kind “sound a like” band re Van Halen is Bullet Boys. The problem with that comparison is Mick Sweda wasn’t half way close to Eddie on his worst day.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Natvecal.

Late '70s Live albums that shaped my Hard Rock/Heavy Metal future.....

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush -Live
    This record WOWED me from the the second I heard this. This is the definition of Wailing guitar playing at it's best.If you listen to George Lynch or Zakk Wylde you will hear FM's influence in their wailing style of playing.

15. Natvecal.

AC/DC- If You Want Blood You Got It
    Shocker Alert!
    I am not a huge AC/DC fan. I don't dislike them nor do I love them. But, I do like them. If I had (and I do )one CD of theirs it's this one.Raw Kick*** Energy and I love this album!

16. Natvecal.

Scorpions-Tokyo Tapes
    God this is a great album!It's so great I can forgive some of Uli's lead vocals !This is one of my favorite Uli leads (this guys so underrated IMHO)

17. Natvecal.

Late '70s Live albums that shaped my Hard Rock/Heavy Metal future....

Judas Priest -Unleashed In The East (live In Japan (but,not really)
    is the most influential Live (but, not really ) album and beats any studio album out as well as number one for me.Blew my mind that music could be this intense and heavy! The solo in Sinner is my favorite noisefest (echoplex and tremolo bar = bliss to my ears!)listen at the 11:50 mark!

18. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I am a HUGE Marino fan. Even traveled to Montreal to see him perform live at his "return" to the music world (long story) back in 2000 I think it was.

As great as that album is that you mention, IMO his more recent DoubleLive, or REALlive, albums, or just about any of the gazillion live Marino shows I have, blow away the live album that you mention though. Give me the long 10-20 min+ jamming workouts like Voodoo Chile, Poppy, Stories of a Hero etc...

19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, Natvecal is on a roll here! :edthumbs:

20. Natvecal.

Saw FM in '88at a small local club and I agree . Frank got better and it shows in his later live recordings for sure! But , FM&MR Live was my gateway to him in '78 and by '82 I had Mahogany Rush IV to Juggernaut. He is one of my all time favorite guitarists!!!!:righton:

slipkid likes this.
  21. Natvecal.

UFO-Strangers In The Night
    I love the intro guitar part that Micheal S. plays before going into the main riff of this song! Great solo by MS too
    Enjoy!

22. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

No Live! Bootleg?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  23. Natvecal.

Oh yeah forgot about Ted Nugent Double Live Gonzo

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

What starts off as a rockin' medley of My Generation and See Me Feel Me shifts gears at about the 4 min mark and takes it to a completely new level.

slipkid, Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.
  25. Natvecal.

Sorry
    But, I didn't have that one:shrug:

Matthew Tate likes this.