The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Rarely will anyone have the nerve to cover another artists' hits, especially their signature songs, while they're still fresh in the mind of the public. The Isleys' furious medley of Neil Young's Ohio and Jimi Hendrix's Machine Gun was one of the first real showcases of Ernie Isley's amazing guitar talent. I love R&B and I love hard and heavy guitar rock. Which is probably why I love the Isley Brothers.

Natvecal. and Doggiedogma like this.
  2. dmiller458

Still another live album that was almost too much for my young mind to handle.

3. dmiller458

Grand Funk Railroad; they were the most successful and least respected of those Detroit-area bands. There's something about pure guitar wank. When it's done right, I can't get enough.

Natvecal. and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

oh......and also Thin Lizzy Alive And Dangerous was a big guitar one for me too....:D

5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It's so raw compared to some of the other 70s live albums. Tyler loses it on Draw The Line.

Natvecal. and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Natvecal.

It's weird maybe to think but, Aerosmith and LZ were two of my favorite bands on the planet but,their live albums left me a bit.....EH? I had every album to date of both bands up to the the live releases and possibly because of them being so "un -studio" sounding to my young ears is a reason? I knew those studio albums like the back of my hand too and could be another factor ? (or another strike against them being liked by me?) It wasn't until I was in bands starting in the '80s that I maybe grew (or got over it) and eventually that I started to enjoy those Albums for what they were (warts and all). Some of the live albums I've mentioned I didn't have much studio album exposure to the bands apart from what I heard on the radio or occasionally at a friend's house(Scorpions & Thin lizzy for example). So had no reference to base the sound to could be a reason? Also, some of the mentioned Live albums I thought sounded-better than the studio versions of some bands and gave the songs more balls/power that bettered them IMHO(AC/DC,JP, Fm&MR ) Even Rush's All The Worlds A Stage I had a hard time with due to too much knowing the studio albums so well at the time.What can I say ? I was a kid then a teenager during the '70s:shrug:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Natvecal.

EDIT: Thin Lizzy Live And Dangerous Sorry about that . Memory issues there:laugh:

slipkid, Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Natvecal.

Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush- World Anthem

One of my favorite guitar grooves by Frank ! Heavy,almost Stoner Rock-ish /Psychedelic in vibe.Great song in my book and helped shape me as well!The outro solo is a great example of that Wailing guitar style Frank has (and that I noted on the FM&MR Live post I put up) the solo is at the 5:05 mark.

9. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

If you're looking for a CD, I believe the new 2015 remaster restored the original mix. Might want to research that though before taking my word on it.

Natvecal. likes this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

BOC had 2 albums in 70s. Early 90s had some good ones: Ozzy - Live & Loud, AC/DC - Live, Metallica - Live St, Slayer - Decade.

slipkid, Natvecal. and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

It's often forgotten how good this is.

12. Natvecal.

True. There's a lot of live albums that are great(and not so great?)But, as for my post I was pointing out the Live albums that pushed me towards a direction that I was not aware of what the future held.If that makes sense?In other words, I had no idea how heavy.....Metal was to become by the '90s let's say when looking from the point of view of the late '70s. So I could say ,"Oh for sure I'll still be listening to Heavy Metal in the '90s!!" Looking ahead but, defining that future with a still'70s definition. Make sense?But, these albums I posted up-thread here helped prep/condition (right wording?I don't know...) me for the future of Metal?

slipkid, Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. Natvecal.

Thanks for the heads-up here!:righton: And yeah, I'll do the research as the right mix may (or may not0 have a good mastering?) I might have to seek out an early CD (from the '80s) if brickwalling is a factor on the 2015 issue.

14. Natvecal.

I think @dmiller458 makes a great point on looking back and knowing the currant state of Metal and my post above(Post# 6505) is IMHO the opposite way.Looking to the future(from the '70s) based on currant knowledge of Metal.

"as for my post I was pointing out the Live albums that pushed me towards a direction that I was not aware of what the future held.If that makes sense?In other words, I had no idea how heavy.....Metal was to become by the '90s let's say when looking from the point of view of the late '70s. So I could say ,"Oh for sure I'll still be listening to Heavy Metal in the '90s!!" Looking ahead but, defining that future with a still'70s definition."

I think these are both interesting ways to view Past/Future?

15. Natvecal.

Meshuggah- Destroy Erase Improve

This flat out was a game changer in how I looked at off time riffing/Music in '95
    Over time the funny thing I learned from these guys is the Off-ness is not so much of say 4/5 or 6/4 or 7/5 (or whatever meter) meter to the music as it's mainly just "Wrarbling" within a mostly 4/4 meter to great effect! and that was a surprise to me as well ha ha

Apologies to all if I'm being redundant here and a lot of this music I'm posting has been covered Ad Nauseam! New to the thread and just givin' my thoughts:D

16. dmiller458

I always end of repeating myself and I always run the risk of stating things that everybody already knows. Feel free to preface this with IMO...

Stuck between the Holy Trinity and the NWOBHM, the mid-to-late 70s (man!) are too often overlooked and too often dismissed as merely hard rock. One of the great things about that time was the cross-pollination of glam, heavy metal, and progressive rock. One of the not-so-great things about it was the commercialization and re-commercialization that led to the rise of corporate arena rock.

I've discussed with Trill the idea of the grass being greener on the other side. Motorhead topped the UK album chart with No Sleep 'til Hammersmith when we had Styx and REO on top here!?! The Smiths were redefining guitar pop while Americans were screaming Bruuuuuuuuuuuuce! :rolleyes:

He usually cites 83 as the end of the golden era. It makes perfect sense to me because that's when the focus shifted to the US with glam metal and thrash. Once the NWOBHM played out, British metal pretty much fell off the radar until the UK Doom bands came along in the 90s.

Trill, I don't understand how a British metal-head wouldn't have listened to all those Doom bands --- unless it's because of the extreme metal vocals. Doom is my favorite extreme genre because it's closest to that 69/70 sound. I was raised on the over-the-top histrionics of Plant and Gillan and Halford. It didn't take long for the bloom to come off the rose when the shriek, the growl, and the roar became standardized vocal styles.

Natvecal, one thing I noticed was that none of the live albums you cited are from American bands. I've talked a lot about the great divide between the US and the UK, but it also applies the US and the rest of the rock world. Growing up in Michigan, it was Detroit garage rock that defined hard & heavy rock for me. But I do agree that overall it was foreign bands that pointed the way to the future more than US bands.

As I said in that previous post, the 80s was metal's golden era. But the 80s was a pop era not much different than what we have today. Whether it was metal or alt/indie post-punk, almost all the best rock was underground. I wasn't thinking about what metal would be like ten years in the future because there was a vibe in the air and we were living in the now.

Natvecal. likes this.
  17. dmiller458

That's why it's here.

Natvecal. likes this.
  18. Natvecal.

Cynic-Focus
    I really can't say much about the vocals here ....eh(for me) or the production? (could've been beefy-er or something missing?)...... but, the music I can't say enough!Death Metal that pushes the boundaries ever explored IMHO! I like this because of that despite the warts and such (that go against it ) Would love to hear Devin Townsend sing over this or even Dan Swano maybe to a better vocal effect?The song below is an instrumental track and the heavy guitars kick in at about the 2:00 mark off and on. This is a Death Metal band !Don't be deceived !One of the best drummers I've ever heard as well Sean Reinert.

stay crunchy likes this.
  19. Natvecal.

This is a good point.

20. Natvecal.

I threw Nugent in as an after thought:D, though yes,I get your point and the proof in the pudding is clearly evident.

21. dmiller458

That edit re-defines your post. I first heard Paranoid, Stained Class, Master Of Puppets within months, weeks or even days of when they were released. Someone listening for the first time today is listening through the filter of everything that's come along since and they're dealing with 40-50 years of baggage.

Maybe I'm misreading you; but when I see someone saying anything was heavy for the time, it's almost like they're making an excuse for the music. If it was heavy in 1970 or 1980, it's heavy now or it's wasn't heavy to begin with.

I don't think that the 90s was any heavier than what came before.

22. Natvecal.

I'm most likely not stating (or wording ) my observations as well as I would like. Maybe the Heavy-ness gets mutated /redefined(again maybe wrong wording?)by others later based on what they know (or base off of)now ? Some one weened on Death metal possibly may not see why certain "older" bands (70s) were perceived in the same way as they view their "Now this is heavy! "currant favorites.Does that make sense?It doen't lessen the formers so much as one can possibly get DE-sensitized to the same experience that transcends the decades and evolution of Metal? That feeling of "Wow. This is heavy!" kind of a revelation we've all had whether in the '60s or 2017. Point would be we all have a shared epiphany of what floats our boat in Metal even though it became different. Meshuggah played in 1970 would have Black Sabbath lovers possibly headscratching(and taking a step back?) and possibly not running to embrace it?Who knows?Perception gets altered every day so, it's hard to keep the clarity of it as time goes on? Am I being more confusing or is this at least somewhat a point to see where I was coming from?

dmiller458 likes this.
  23. dmiller458

I think I understand you. When I listen to that older music I'm never going to fully get that feeling I had when I first listen to it. As the commercialization and re-commercialization takes place, what was once cutting edge gets incorporated into the mainstream. For someone hearing the Holy Trinity or the NWOBHM after hearing extreme metal, it won't have the same impact as it had on me hearing it before extreme came along. Especially when they have all this baggage of everyone telling them how great that music was. Anything short of floating two feet off the ground will be a disappointment.

24. dmiller458

I see your location as Oceanside. Are you a native Californian? Do you have an affinity for California bands like I have for those from Michigan?

25. Natvecal.

And I think I get this sediment you state here(possibly?) as it's almost a pseudo-Paradise Lost.That you'll never have that same feeling now as back then.And sometimes I pine for that feeling(a lot actually). But, the fact is you experienced it and that can never be undone is something to hold fiercely in your heart,right?I do.:righton: