The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

yes I am. Seen my corner of the Country get built up quite a bit in my lifetime!And yes to Californian bands.Caveat though; It doesn't mean I'm gonna like them because of that! Because there's some serious wank out and about here LOL!

2. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

But thrash, glam, and alternative metal got their foothold in California first. I'm going to guess that you heard of bands like Jane's Addiction and Metallica before most of us rubes out here in flyover country did.

I don't automatically love Michigan music. But every major US city has their own local garage rock legend and indie critic's darling. The only ones I care about are Mick Collins and Sufan Stevens.

I never would have watched Eminem's stupid movie if he hadn't been from Detroit. I lived in Miami for 20 years. I knew Madonna was huge, but 40 miles her hometown? She's god-like here. My redneck neighbors blasts Kid Rock all summer long (pun intended). Half the kids with long hair have it cut just like Jack White's. You seeing the pattern yet?

3. Natvecal.

Yes. Jake E lee is from San Diego (which is where I'm from and being in Oceanside is the Northern border of San Diego County)and has a place in my heart.Jewel lived in North SD County a few years when she went big and everyone called her SD's own(she's from Alaska) went to school with Eddie Vedder (really Mueller is his last name ) but, didn't hang out with him may have had a class together for all I know (my sister did) but, he moved up north and the rest is history.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Natvecal.

Peter Sprague (jazz guitarist) and Dave & Thomas from The Paladins are local hometown favorites from N.SD County and I 'm friends with Peter (wonderful guy!) and know Dave And Thomas from HS days (way before their Rockabilly thing when they used to play ZZ Top /LZ covers at parties(good guys-both of them!) and on a Metal note ,My wife was friends with the SD band Psychotic Waltz, from that band Buddy (Lead Vocals,flute) went on to form Deadsoul Tribe (and change his name to Devon).

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Led Zep's label not a fan of Lost in Vegas reviews. Achilles Last Stand blocked across the universe :thumbsdow. Kind of petty if you ask me since they cover so many different artists/bands and genres, also they purposely stop and restart and cut songs on purpose to avoid copyright violations. Of course the full song is also available on Youtube :crazy:.

[​IMG]

6. dmiller458

IMO they should listen to it in full (off camera if needed to avoid copyright violations), then they should comment on their second listen.

7. dmiller458

California is bigger in terms of population and geography than many nations, but I was talking more about the entire state than just your hometown. I guess if I lived in Detroit my focus would be local rather than regional.

8. Natvecal.

Gotcha. (I also remembered here in Oside the hero is Stevie Salas and my last drummer was in a HS band with him)Anyway you're right we are huge and ratio wise so much music from the state as a whole is insane.That said,the ratio also works against that statement in that there was so much (as I've noted before) Wank as well from this state that I'm too embarrassed to mention them ha ha. But as an example of local/regional , Van Halen? Heck, I didn't hear of until the debut came out and blew our minds. And so, I 've met many people from the Valley area(L.A.) that talk about the back yard beer parties that VH played all the time. I had no clue and probably heard them on the radio when you did. San Diego is not far from L.A. as the car drives but, being in HS (and not driving) it was a world away!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    dmiller458 likes this.
  9. Natvecal.

Any love here for Strapping Young Lad(Devin Townsend) or his solo/band projects?
    SYL-City ('97)

I had Steve Vai's Sex & Religion when it came out.Guitar Player Magazine interview he spoke of Devin (who sings a few songs on the release) and how incredible a singer he was and mentioned his band SYL. Later read a Music mag review of SYL's City and went out and got it. What a ride that CD is ! I'm not real big on Industrial music (my little brother was really into it and so I've heard enough to be content with my opinion of it .For me) but, City (as the first two Fear Factory CDs ) mix just enough of it that I like it this way.Devin is one crazy vocalist that I find it amazing how many Vocal Hats he can wear effortlessly.One of my all-time favorites!!

Brenald79 likes this.
  10. dmiller458

I first saw Van Roth in 78 as one of the featured acts on a four band bill.

Natvecal. likes this.
  11. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Devin sings on the entire S&R album. I saw SYL 3 times on this tour.

Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.
  12. Natvecal.

I stand corrected! I had this on cassette when released back in the day so memory.....a bit cloudy there? But, Steve Vai I always thought had at least a fwe instrumentals on this release? Again, long time on this on for me. Didn't think every track had vocals.So, good catch! BTW, green with envy you saw SYL 3 times back then! Wife & I saw SYL by 2002(-ish? I believe)and all I ever read or heard about them was the sound live was spot on! So, we looked forward to this show met Devin before the show(he was selling SYL shirts and CDs . Bought a shirt and chatted with him a bit. It was hard because he was not in a good mood......the Club had about 10 people in it (including employees) may have had a dampening of mood on him? Possibly?Then the "Effects" (sound loops/Keyboards /effects.....ect)Rackmount went down,delaying the show as they tried to solve the issues on stage.After struggling with cables /patch cords / various rackmounts they gave up with a **** it let's just play. So, they did.Dry. And we enjoyed it for what it was (a night that seemed to go against them in many ways-it happens....) Still love Devin though! :righton:

Matthew Tate and Brenald79 like this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

10 ppl? Brutal. It was always 500+ in a great sounding club. I remember them being as good or better live than the popular aggressive metal bands in 90s I saw. Sepultura, FF, Machine Head, Biohazard, Slayer, Pantera, ect. At least once they played as Ocean Machine to start.

14. Natvecal.

That's what I was looking forward to experiencing but, stuff happens and not every night is going to be a winner just by law of averages.The club was a good club as I've seen Black Label Society,Prong,King's X,Niacin, Machine Head, Drain STH.(that I can remember off the top of my head)there. It was SYL's gear that failed and is a asset to the sound they get live that everyone raves about but, an Achilles Heel when it fails? Stuff happens. So it is what it is. Being from bands I can relate to this big time and empathize the situation completely!It's the only chance down here in the San Diego area to see them and we did. No regrets!:righton: BTW, Ocean Machine? Cool show I bet!

Brenald79 likes this.
  15. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Revision 3:

Best:
    Operation: Mindcrime "A New Reality"
    The Ferrymen s/t
    Alice Cooper "Paranormal"
    Harem Scarem "United"
    Europe "Walk The Earth"
    Jorn "Life on Death Road"
    LA Guns "The Missing Peace"
    Accept "Restless & Live"
    Unruly Child "Can't Go Home"
    Revolution Saints "Light in the Dark"

Worst:
    Quiet Riot "Road Rage"
    Ten "Gothica"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. dmiller458

Tentative, mostly doom/stoner and hard rock

Bell Witch - Mirror Reaper
    Black Country Communion - BCCIV
    Black Star Riders - Heavy Fire
    Chelsea Wolfe - Hiss Spun
    Converge - The Dusk In Us
    Elder - Reflections Of A Floating World
    Mastodon - Emperor Of Sand
    Paradise Lost - Medusa
    Queens Of The Stone Age - Villains
    Thunder - Rip It Up

17. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Thunder put out another album? Are they going up against Cheap Trick for an album every year?

18. dmiller458

I guess it's like the lotto. You can't win if you don't play.

Curveboy likes this.
  19. dmiller458

Rip It Up would seem to be just the kind of album US hard rock and commercial metal fans should get into. When did British bands stop crossing over?

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Good list. The album that interests me the most there is Chelsea Wolfe. I need to check that one out.

21. dmiller458

She's about half/half gothic rock and doom metal.

EDIT: This was the lead single.

22. GodShifter

Yeah, I have several of her albums, but not the one you listed. Her stuff is right down my alley.

dmiller458 likes this.
  23. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

It beats the other extreme - yeah I’m looking at you, Van Halen!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Good2BAnywhere

Good2BAnywhere Forum Resident

I looked forward to Vai’s Sex & Religion album coming out because I was curious what Steve would do with his own band without David Lee Roth holding him back. It wasn’t as good as I thought it would be. Stellar playing by everyone but most of the songs just didn’t do anything for me.

25. GodShifter

S&R was very disappointing. I found it quite dull, honestly.

Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.