The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Resident® Thread Starter

Seriously?

It’d be a lot cooler if it was true ...

four sticks and Murph like this.
  2. Murph

Murph Formerly 7/4 war furor

[​IMG]

3. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

4. dmiller458

On her earlier rock recordings, she was a borderline Chrissie Hynde clone.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    Matthew Tate and Murph like this.
  5. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates Forum Resident

Steven Tyler

6. slipkid

slipkid Forum Resident

If you dug that you REALLY need to check out DoubleLive, RealLive, and for studio good measure Juggernaut, & Eye of the Storm (just for starters).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beware that some of his albums have been re-re-re-released multiple times in varying sound quality & with different (or no) bonus tracks. Some have even been needle-drops. I didn't buy the last set of remasters btw (some of his later albums like Juggernaut).

four sticks and Natvecal. like this.
  7. Natvecal.

Natvecal. Forum Resident

What's your advice on the best mastering? I got a Nice Price FM&MR Live and the BGO s IV though What's Next(5 CDS span)Juggernaut ,I can't find at all (bet I lent this to some one ?GRRrrh!!!) The first three MR albums I don't like (Hendrixisms galore! Indeed.)I need to get some of these later ones you listed for sure!Thanks:)

8. dmiller458

Interesting, because they are my favorites (aside from his live works).

9. Natvecal.

Natvecal. Forum Resident

Good pick!
    Remember that Gap commercial with Steven & Joe Perry ? Steven's playing a snare,Hi-hat and kick drum? If I recall correctly that is.... My old best friend who was a fantastic drummer told me when we saw that commercial together one night that Steven knew what he was doing just from watching that short little bit of Steven on the 3 piece.(I think a 3 piece,right?)Also one of the reasons Joey Kramer has that eye twitch. From Steven telling him what to play!:laugh:

Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  10. slipkid

slipkid Forum Resident

I can't comment on the masterings/sound quality, my ears/brain aren't sharp enough. I only remember that some of the early releases/albums were way too hissy for me.

If you're looking for Juggernaut I know that that is one that Rock Candy recently did a reissue for.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Natvecal.

Natvecal. Forum Resident

I'm laughing at the irony of this (not you)as I was so confused to the general "Eh...." kind of response to FM&MR Live that I was praising.And now that I get were @slipkid and @GodShifter are coming from and better understanding their POVs. Now,I've gone and dumped a "Eh..." on your favorite 3! This might be a good time to tell your story concerning FM? Maybe? What was your first song/album for yourself?What got you "Stoked"on Frank?:) Looking forward to you adding yours to our stories as we all seem to prefer different albums(or eras) of Frank. But, we all agree Frank is great,right?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    GodShifter likes this.
  12. Natvecal.

Natvecal. Forum Resident

RockCandy isn't well liked on this Forum it seems.....(I saw the logo on that sticker on the CD pictured of FM&MR Live you gave the album advice to and wondered as to it)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. four sticks

four sticks Forum Resident

The FM Live disc I posted is the Rock Candy release. It sounds fine to me although I have nothing to compare it to. It does have two excellent bonus tracks from California Jam II.

Matthew Tate and slipkid like this.
  14. Natvecal.

Natvecal. Forum Resident

Thanks for your input here! I used to have the California Jam records. I'm A King Bee and Johnny B. Good? Are those the tracks? I believe (off memory only here so,you know......)there was one song on each one? Cal Jam I &II? Or maybe I'm mucking this up in my head too? What are the bonus tracks?Very curious now ha ha:D Off note; By the late '70s Live albums were coming out left & right by rock bands and many great releases were had during this time. This is one of the top ones among them IMHO.I first heard FM &MR Live in my H.S. buddies garage along with Unleashed & If You Want Blood (all three for the first time listen)blasting away in 78/79.My buddy had really good taste and feel the need of giving him his due here!:agree:

15. Natvecal.

Natvecal. Forum Resident

Agree. I like these. The Forest Of Equilibrium(right title? goin' off the top of my head here) was (for me) painfully.....s..l....o...w...Ha Ha. I mean these guys (to me) at the time had the slowest tempo on earth and I'm sure that was thier point /goal obviously. But, for me? I was vainly trying to sink my hand into my speakers in an attempt to grab the drummer's stick and and hit the snare drum already! I had never heard a band drag out a single beat like that before at this time! I mean 4 measures their speed =2:00 time just to complete Ha ha :laugh: I think the band Sleep is like this?

16. four sticks

four sticks Forum Resident

Yes, I'm A King Bee and Johnny B Goode, both from CJII.

[​IMG]

17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

Before Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder was the drummer for the legendary Seattle grunge band: Citizen Dick. :wiggle:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. slipkid

slipkid Forum Resident

Btw I have an old bootleg release of the Cal Jam show and his set was:

The Answer
    Dragonfly
    I'm a King Bee
    Johnny B Goode
    Electric Reflections of War
    World Anthem
    Purple Haze

So I guess it was the same set as for that live album, just shorter!

Natvecal. and four sticks like this.
  19. dmiller458

20. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Teatar apsurda, by THE STONE (black / thrash metal, full-length, physical CD avialable, released December 9, 2017, Belgrade, Serbia)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Gavranovo

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Resident® Thread Starter

You think that’s drawn out? Check out some Corrupted or Ahab!

Natvecal. likes this.
  22. dmiller458

As a kid and young teen, I could only afford to buy 45s. But when the neighborhood kids got together, the older teens would put on different albums. At night, we could pick up various Canadian stations.

It was the tail end of both free form FM and the golden age of top 40 AM; the best of both worlds. Between the glam, funk, heavy metal, progressive rock, and fusion, I got a well-rounded music education.

I don't remember what song or album I first heard from Marino. But I remember hearing that dumb Hendrix legend and I thought it was the coolest thing ever (of course). Once I hit my mid-teens, I worked odd jobs so that I could buy my own albums and concert tickets.

It wasn't until I hit college, that I expanded my horizons into blues, country, folk, gospel, jazz, traditional pop, and "world music". Almost everyone had their own record collections of various sizes which made it very easy. When I finally listened to all that great music, I got a new perspective on the rock and R&B that truly held its own in comparison.

We can all agree that he's a great guitarist. I disagree somewhat with Godshifter in that I don't think his songs are that weak. But a powerhouse guitarist needs a powerhouse vocalist. With a singer on at least the level of James Dewar or Derek St Holmes, his cheesier lyrics would've been easier to handle.

I think the "eh" factor comes from the fact that he's a B/B- level rocker who came along in an A/A+ era (IMO).

GodShifter and Natvecal. like this.
  23. Natvecal.

Natvecal. Forum Resident

Thanks for that! You speak of a lot of things I can relate to for sure. And I would agree with you on song writing.I was curious whether you were familiar with MR's first three releases in a chronological way of exposure?Or random exposure ? A for-instance here, Myself. In '78/'79 I hear the FM&MR Live(first exposure that I will base anything else of his off of) so it was harder to relate to the early MR's going backwards if that makes sense? Sonically speaking the Live versions smoke the studio ones in power and presence IMO(your may feel the otherwise possibly ) .Same thing happened with JP's Unleashed. That is the first album I ever heard JP ever!Same time period ('78/'79) and first exposure (ground zero in what I expected from these other releases maybe?) then,started listening to their back catalogue. I was disappointed with how weak they sounded compared to the Unleashed versions (The Ripper is a prime example of this)I guess my observation is where one starts their listening of an artist/band? From the start of career ,middle or later may possibly be a factor in how one may look at the rest of catalogue?It's not the rule of thumb of course.There's always exceptions/anomalies to this concept,I realize. For FM & JP;I was a Johnny come lately in all honesty.And I was smitten by both bands so I tend to overlook any shortcomings and enjoy that era of them thoroughly warts and all.:agree: and we all agree Frank is a great guitarist!

I don't know if any of this makes sense as I may have gotten off point possibly ha ha. But, we all love music and even some of the same music and even then we will have different degrees of that love to that very same music?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  24. dmiller458

As I said, I don't know which song or album I heard first. We'd all be over at someone's house and somebody'd ask "Who's that playing?" "Mahogany Rush." "Cool."

But seeing them on the California Jam II broadcast made me want to really check them out. I borrowed friend's albums and it was either Child of the Novelty or Strange Universe first (not sure which), but I really liked that mix of funk and fusion with hard & heavy rock. I loved Santana, the Isleys, P-Funk, Robin Trower, etc. Marino's mix of fuzz and feedback, reverb and sustain fit right in. Over the course of about a month, I listened to his first half dozen albums several times.

Hearing live or studio first never really made that much of a difference to me because I expect different thing from both. In the studio, I look for tight professionalism. The stage is the place for loose improvisation while feeding off crowd energy. In either case, the power comes from proper production.

Natvecal. likes this.
  25. Natvecal.

Natvecal. Forum Resident

Dan Swano(Edge Of Sanity) Nightingale ? '95/'96 I think...
    Had the second one when released (maybe first too?) I like his vocals (Clean/death growl/roars) before this became almost the norm for so many bands to do.I'm recalling from memory here so.........