The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

2. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

Teatar apsurda, by THE STONE (black / thrash metal, full-length, physical CD avialable, released December 9, 2017, Belgrade, Serbia)

[​IMG]

Favourite track: Gavranovo

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

You think that’s drawn out? Check out some Corrupted or Ahab!

Natvecal. likes this.
  4. dmiller458

As a kid and young teen, I could only afford to buy 45s. But when the neighborhood kids got together, the older teens would put on different albums. At night, we could pick up various Canadian stations.

It was the tail end of both free form FM and the golden age of top 40 AM; the best of both worlds. Between the glam, funk, heavy metal, progressive rock, and fusion, I got a well-rounded music education.

I don't remember what song or album I first heard from Marino. But I remember hearing that dumb Hendrix legend and I thought it was the coolest thing ever (of course). Once I hit my mid-teens, I worked odd jobs so that I could buy my own albums and concert tickets.

It wasn't until I hit college, that I expanded my horizons into blues, country, folk, gospel, jazz, traditional pop, and "world music". Almost everyone had their own record collections of various sizes which made it very easy. When I finally listened to all that great music, I got a new perspective on the rock and R&B that truly held its own in comparison.

We can all agree that he's a great guitarist. I disagree somewhat with Godshifter in that I don't think his songs are that weak. But a powerhouse guitarist needs a powerhouse vocalist. With a singer on at least the level of James Dewar or Derek St Holmes, his cheesier lyrics would've been easier to handle.

I think the "eh" factor comes from the fact that he's a B/B- level rocker who came along in an A/A+ era (IMO).

GodShifter and Natvecal. like this.
  5. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Thanks for that! You speak of a lot of things I can relate to for sure. And I would agree with you on song writing.I was curious whether you were familiar with MR's first three releases in a chronological way of exposure?Or random exposure ? A for-instance here, Myself. In '78/'79 I hear the FM&MR Live(first exposure that I will base anything else of his off of) so it was harder to relate to the early MR's going backwards if that makes sense? Sonically speaking the Live versions smoke the studio ones in power and presence IMO(your may feel the otherwise possibly ) .Same thing happened with JP's Unleashed. That is the first album I ever heard JP ever!Same time period ('78/'79) and first exposure (ground zero in what I expected from these other releases maybe?) then,started listening to their back catalogue. I was disappointed with how weak they sounded compared to the Unleashed versions (The Ripper is a prime example of this)I guess my observation is where one starts their listening of an artist/band? From the start of career ,middle or later may possibly be a factor in how one may look at the rest of catalogue?It's not the rule of thumb of course.There's always exceptions/anomalies to this concept,I realize. For FM & JP;I was a Johnny come lately in all honesty.And I was smitten by both bands so I tend to overlook any shortcomings and enjoy that era of them thoroughly warts and all.:agree: and we all agree Frank is a great guitarist!

I don't know if any of this makes sense as I may have gotten off point possibly ha ha. But, we all love music and even some of the same music and even then we will have different degrees of that love to that very same music?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  6. dmiller458

As I said, I don't know which song or album I heard first. We'd all be over at someone's house and somebody'd ask "Who's that playing?" "Mahogany Rush." "Cool."

But seeing them on the California Jam II broadcast made me want to really check them out. I borrowed friend's albums and it was either Child of the Novelty or Strange Universe first (not sure which), but I really liked that mix of funk and fusion with hard & heavy rock. I loved Santana, the Isleys, P-Funk, Robin Trower, etc. Marino's mix of fuzz and feedback, reverb and sustain fit right in. Over the course of about a month, I listened to his first half dozen albums several times.

Hearing live or studio first never really made that much of a difference to me because I expect different thing from both. In the studio, I look for tight professionalism. The stage is the place for loose improvisation while feeding off crowd energy. In either case, the power comes from proper production.

Natvecal. likes this.
  7. Natvecal.

Dan Swano(Edge Of Sanity) Nightingale ? '95/'96 I think...
    Had the second one when released (maybe first too?) I like his vocals (Clean/death growl/roars) before this became almost the norm for so many bands to do.I'm recalling from memory here so.........

8. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

He gave up doing the harsh vocals for a while after his solo album, but his "clean" voice is terrific. He was incredibly productive for many years until he got a case of writer's block about a decade ago, though he's bounced back in recent years with Witherscape and new Nightingale.

9. Natvecal.

He does have a singers voice outside the Death Metal realm.

10. Natvecal.

Spiral Architect
    Math Metal doe to it's fullest capacity and extent as I recall at time of this release! I applaud the venture! Heady music not for the simple riff (4/4 beat) listener!:laugh:

kyouki, Trillmeister and Jeff Kent like this.
  11. dmiller458

When did the growl and the shriek and the roar become standardized vocal styles? It's a bit of stretch to think of extreme metal as having been commercialized and re-commercialized in the same way as mainstream rock. But isn't that what melodic death and symphonic black represent?

An underground scene is played out when it hits the mainstream. Before I moved to Miami in 95, I remember sitting at traffic lights and hearing teens in the other cars blasting Legion and Heartworks. The fact that the music had made it to Michigan and that I recognized those albums speaks for itself.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. Natvecal.

I didn't mention or mean ;Mainstream.Within "underground" music there was less of the contrasting vocals within a band's music and later that seemed more prevalent to me(operative words here-to me)so, that was when the novelty of it was wearing off for myself.Maybe it was just a greater appreciation for it when it was less and lesser when it became more (Alt-Metal didn't help this with the soft/husky/wispery verse vocals building to hardcore-esque/bellowings /ranting/raving mad screaming of the choruses that for me got rather predictable in a short period of time. Again only as how it came across -to me.IMHO
    BTW,Happy New Year:D

13. dmiller458

I'll address the substance of your post later. But you're going to have to help me out here. Why do you constantly use these unnecessary italics and underlines?

14. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

All I know is that it blossomed when I was moving away from metal in the early 90s. I grew up on Dickinson, Halford, Dio etc. and when I looked away bands like Death and Obituary had popped up. This was also the era of Great Hyphenation. Metal became a thing of the past and was replaced by Black-Death-Goth-Doom-Stoner, Power, Prog- et al., you could throw Grindcore in there too even though it lacks the requisite punctuation.

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. dmiller458

IMO that happened in the early-to-mid 80s with thrash- and glam-metal.

16. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Yeah I realized that and you're right. But I feel like it really exploded a few years later. Thrash and Glam sort of existed on their own.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Natvecal.

What are you even talking about? I don't do that at all!:whistle:

18. Natvecal.

On a serious note,
    I'm very expressive vocally and like to use my hands a lot for emphasis.
    I am not well versed on the keyboard here(this Forum is the most typing I've done the whole time we've had a PC and type writer of the past(I hated typing)
    I am very bad at wording/sentence structure/keeping on point/over cluttering my replies here,ect(you get the point)and feel free to add any I failed to mention.
    This is my first Forum (heck ,I don't even Facebook,twitter,nada....)
    I feel limited by the format of text and therefore feel the need to enforce my points among my clutter of sentences in a vain attempt to to convey to who so ever read my atrocities of the English language ;how I think they should hear me through reading.
    Godshifter has pointed this out awhile ago on another thread
    I'm just saying my thoughts based on my experiences. I don't claim to know more than anyone else here. Just a POV.
    My guess would be no matter what I know.There's easily 100 members here that know more about it.So, I'm in no contest with anyone here as most of this Forum is out of my league and really not out to prove anything or step on toes.

there's some context (and off points) to understand the Why of how I post.
    I will work on my "Brickwalling" my own posts ha ha:doh:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  19. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Spiral Architect is good stuff. Watchtowers 2016 album Concepts of Match was pretty good as well, short but good.

stay crunchy likes this.
  20. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yeah - bands like Death, Morbid Angel, Napalm Death , Bolt Thrower, brought in the 'cookie monster" vocals for good or bad.

21. dmiller458

We also had the black metal shriek come along at the same time. But black never got the same kind of foothold here or in the UK the way that death did.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  22. Natvecal.

I found it amazing as I enjoy challenging music. Math Metal side effect for me was,I really wanted to here some of the riffs/grooves longer! As I thought there was some great catchy parts within some songs.Where as some metal bands use a great groove /riff in a song too much( or overplayed) if that makes sense? IMHO, I would dilute both sides of this issue equally to have my dream metal music.:laugh:

23. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Yeah - "black metal" became popular in Scandinavia - Immortal, Mayhem, Bathory - these bands were musically influential, again, for good or bad. But it did start in the UK with Venom and expand to Netherlands and US with Mercyful Fate and Slayer.

24. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Sounds to me like your describing more traditional progressive metal. I've been on a Vanden Plas kick lately...

Jimmy Agates and Natvecal. like this.
  25. dmiller458

One band isn't quite the same thing as a thriving regional or national scene. California is bigger than all the Scandinavian nations combined. The US is too large for any one underground scene to completely dominate. Ours are more based on our major metros, such as San Francisco and Tampa.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018