The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

First off let me congratulate you with having the #6666 post in this thread. That’s like evil x 6. :laugh:

As far as other stuff? RealLive is a must. Other studio stuff worth exploring is The Power of Rock ‘n’ Roll or Eye of the Storm.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

World Anthem is available on CD as an import per Discogs. I only have the vinyl though.

slipkid likes this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That is pretty funny. His evilx6 post would not be possible without you starting this thread in the first place though.

All hail Godshifter & his heavy metal/hard rock thread!!

:edthumbs:

4. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I used to have the vinyl. Didn't it come with an album size poster insert? With the "world anthem" lyrics or something like that? Maybe a photo of Frank or the band on the other side? My memory is hazy...

Oh, and my CD is a UK import. 1998 Sony Music Rewind/Columbia label.

I neglected to mention the majestic closing track Try For Freedom above in my post. Think that is a great one, long 10 minute + Frank jam. Gonna have to give some Frank albums like this one a revisit, you guys have me in the mood....maybe tomorrow night....

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  5. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Damn, I'm jealous! I wanted to see that tour so bad. That must have been a crazy open floor.

6. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

slipkid and Jimmy Agates like this.
  7. Natvecal.

It was. I got on the floor for .....free.Though I doubt anyone will believe me at this point:laugh:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Brenald79 likes this.
  8. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Thanks for the tips on Frank Marino...knowing me I'll end up getting everything but it's good to know what one's to go for first...also do I go for the BGO versions or get them all individually...oh the dilema!!!

Natvecal. likes this.
  9. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

10. Natvecal.

This bugged so much(not your post-My mis-remembering here)I searched through an old misc. filled drawer and found a clump of old concert tickets stubs this morning.I figured this was a lost cause but, still thought maybe? Found Prong. But, as I feared no other names on the bill .But, we have the date.11/28/97 still before debut but the possibility they were gigging at this time around San Diego area a little more plausible theory(at best at this point). (found a youtube clip of them in San Diego in 11/15 98 ) also
    Static-X - Club 369, Fullerton, CA - 1997(youtube)
    Though by no means proves anything other than I was wrong (yet again) on the date/year and still may not have been at this show either.I saw them a few times and it's annoying getting all this mucked up(as well as embarrassing):disgust:Rob Zombie & Korn concert?Anthrax/Pantera & Trouble concert? I don't ******* know ha ha......:laugh:
    [​IMG]

Brenald79 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. Natvecal.

Hey one more and the oldest I seem to have as so many of these are just....gone.
    Queensryche- The full Operation Mindcrime concert performance
    I went with my band to this and these are so-so seats here so I'm not going ,"Dudes look where I was sitting!!"But, about where those seats ....uh were....

The Lights were on as we entered and we had plenty of time to find and get to our seats. As we are approaching about where they would be,there's a group of security guys basically right at our seat area and a group of people all clustered around. Fight?Something was going down obviously.As we get there The security guys turn and eye us suspiciously and we show our tickets stubs and pointing that our seats were within all the hub-bub and is everything OK?They said, "Yeah, we're just finishing up here." They leave carrying a passed out chick with a group of people following and we finally get to our seats just as the smell hit us. :hurl:Puke all over the two rows in front of us.:disgust:Then the lights went out and the show started.....
    [​IMG]

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Did you cross check on setlistfm?
    Static-X Concert Setlists (page 78)
    The 98 date matches up with a show but not the 97 date.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. Natvecal.

You're right. But I'm seeing some blanks filling in?Or not ha ha.

12/30/98 Soma, San Diego
    11/15/98 unknown venue, San Diego
    I wonder if these are shows I went to ? Possibly?Any how my memory is a little like a Zipfile,Very compressed!:doh: Most my friends are dead ,a lost cause or out of touch for me with this era of my life. Since being on this thread (which I do know isn't very long at all) this is the most I'm talked about these days.My wife knows everything and she's a metalhead too. So no problems there. But, it's pretty cool coming on here and well,,,all you guys help me to remember things "correctly" and I thank you all.:tiphat:

EDIT; That setlistfm link is a cool resource for sure! thanks for the tip.:)

Matthew Tate and Brenald79 like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Damn. I had tried to contact him a few years ago to answer a question about a Free vinyl EP release for the song Wishing Well (there is a thread up here about that) but didn't get very far and kept meaning to work at that but never got around to it. And now it's too late :(

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

HOT ****IN' ****!!! (original band name that will be censored in this post)

Natvecal. likes this.
  18. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Anyone hear this Greta Van Fleet band? Pretty much another generic Led Zeppelin clone but a damn good one. Beats the crap out of Kingdom Come from what I’ve heard so far.

Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Finally got around to reading the extensive (& very interesting liner notes). Explains why I never heard of it. Basically the band/album were buried thanks to Ted Nugent being a dick (no surprise there) and the management/label ties to Ted's career. Also the original cover of the album (the weird painting of what looks like a discofied girl blowing a lightbulb out of her mouth that you can see as the background for the youtube vids above) didn't help, the image suggested a lame disco album instead of a rock classic (and maybe that is why I avoided it, I don't recall).

The mysterious 4th guy's name in the picture above is John Cory. He was added to the touring lineup to beef up the sound. According to the liner notes he played keyboards and sang backing vocals but I guess he must have played guitar too since that live video has an extra guitarist (?).

Interestingly St. Holmes and Grange did NOT like the producer Mike Flicker and his mix of the album which they felt was too lightweight. They had a list of producers they did want (for example Jeff Glixman, Jack Douglas, Eddie Krammer, Roy Thomas Baker) but management wanted Flicker. They actually recorded demos first which they liked more (?). Also they recorded a 2nd album that never got released!??!

Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.
  20. Natvecal.

One of the bands I've been revisiting in the last 10 years. Late '70s haerd Burgers at my friend's house. That's all I honestly can recall of Hot Tuna and my knowledge of back then.Have most tier CDs now as I really started appreciating them (didn't even know of the JA connection.That's how little I knew ha!) @dmiller458 wanna add context to your Hot Tuna post for a curious soul like me?:D

21. Natvecal.

Always felt Badlands did a good job of nailing the raw hard rock/blues vibe of LZ. Not considered hard rock but, The Tea Party(BAND!) is very Zeppelin-esque in vibe and atmosphere that I have found ......well, I like 'em.The edges Of Twilight ('95)
    Fire In The Head
    by far the heaviest song as I said not really a Heavy/Hardrock band (but very LZ influenced but different to Badlands))

22. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Jorma; great guitarist, weak vocalist.

slipkid and Natvecal. like this.
  23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Some friends in college were into bands like Jefferson Airplane, Dylan, The Band, Allman Bros, The Dead, and Hot Tuna, stuff like that. They introduced me to them. I wasn't that into Tuna at first until I heard their harder rocking stuff, then saw them live which sealed the deal.

My favorite Tuna albums are from what they call their "metal years". That would be the power trio of Jorma, Jack, and Bob Steeler, starting with America's Choice (1975), and going up through Yellow Fever (also 1975), Hopkkorv (1976), and the live opus Double Dose (1978). I was lucky enough to see them in 1977 at the Tower Theater (just outside Philly) during this time and it is what made me an uberfan. What a show that was, probably the loudest rock concert I had ever seen up until then. I don't recall how long that one was but they were legendary during this time for playing marathon jamming sets.

I would not call Tuna a metal band by any means (especially their folk/countryish leanings) but that period they were hard rocking as hell. Hoppkorv is probably my favorite Tuna studio album, but Double Dose is my fave overall.

Natvecal. likes this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Can't disagree.

25. Natvecal.

Kingdom Come was a pretty cool band upon first playing on the radio and I'll admit I bought the cassette of their debut.It got redundant quick and add the "infamous" LZ denial was a buzzkill for so many(also, a bad move on their end PR wise) thus quickly sank their popularity IMO.

Matthew Tate likes this.