The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I never heard much Zeppelin in The Tea Party outside of the guitar playing. The vocals sound like Jim Morrison, but there's no doubt that wild, sloppy guitar attack TTP incorporates is Page inspired. They also use a lot of different string instruments (mandolin etc) in their sound which is something Led Zeppelin did as well.

Brenald79 and Natvecal. like this.
  2. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

The singer for Greta Van Fleet seems to nail Plant better than any other I’ve heard.

3. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Totally agree and should have included that note.Was being brief in my post there. I was handed a three song promo of this album on cassette walking out of a San Diego Sports Arena Concert(can't recall who) went home and listened to it and been a fan since. I prefer the ealier to the latter IMHO. Like some of Jeff Martin's solo stuff. Rip magazine Review stated "Imagine Led Zeppelin with Jim Morrison on lead vocals" for this album review.

EDIT; in Jeff Martin's own words "We took a page from Kashmir and ran with it."
    IMO they took a few "other" pages from LZ.:laugh:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    GodShifter likes this.
  4. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

5. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

6. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

7. Natvecal.

Agree but, I've enjoyed it for what it is IMO:)

slipkid likes this.
  8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Which is why I originally posted the song w/o commentary...

9. Natvecal.

Jeeze......He nails that vocal style. Seems to fit well (upon first listen here) inbetween Badlands & LZ. Interesting for sure. A bit of Zebra even on the second song(Vocal-wise on the chorus)?

EDIT; these guys are so young looking. Esp. the vocalist. So don't watch the videos before listening ha ha. for a fair listening.And now hearing four songs could put them near Kingdom Come. But you're right.Way better than Kingdom Clone.:D

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Tree of Life and jeffgt14 like this.
  10. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The River and Save Me from Spledor Solis as well.

Natvecal. likes this.
  11. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

anyone else find it a bit odd that dokken, a hard rock/metal band, seems more influenced by non hard rock bands based on the songs they have covered?

Curveboy likes this.
  12. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Just trying to think of what they have covered...Jefferson Airplane, Yardbirds, Harry Nillson, The Hollies? and was it the Knickerbockers as well....what else??

Don being a bit more senior than a lot of other 80's rockers is probably less inclined to go for covering hard rock from the 70's and goes for more 60's stuff.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

emerson lake and palmer and the beatles

Jimmy Agates likes this.
  14. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Well I'll have to wait until the CD slams home and the full audio spectrum cascades forth before pronouncing with excess gush but the welcome return of T. Allom and the ubiquitous guitar-cum-booth twiddler bloke from Sabbat augurs well, however effectively (or otherwise) the melodies prove to be wove with the flowing magma.

I took your advice and spent a few days with Crucible which exists as a permanent marker by which all Halfordwerks are judged; it certainly doesn't make Roberto's job any easier!

(Aside: also stumbled across a CD containing solo J. Bonamassa stuff and found myself wondering why so many ex-Metallians of my/our vintage seem to levitate into his gravitational pull like he's Brian from The Life thereof? Mind you, I often think the same about Pink Floyd whereby chaps who once gasped in awe at 'Sabbath's rejuventation in 1980, say, now seem to think a meandering, simple solo from D. Gilmour is the zenith of existence: musically, it's like taking a wall crammed with the works of Constable or Turner and applying a magnolia piant brush across the lot. [It's that bastard Sheeran!] )

Jimmy Agates and Yam Graham like this.
  15. You Know Trill... I have never been able to get into Pink Floyd and their ilk!!!
    Don't get me wrong I'm not oblivious to the bands status etc, but I put it down to the fact that as a young un' in short trousers and a Tippa Cup...Sweet were far more kick ****.
    After seeing my late school years thru the Punk and New Wave era.....Floyd didn't circle around my universe.
    Seeing Priest on Top Of The Pops in Feb' 79' was my next major foundation.....one which I've never felt inclined to leave.
    As you know ace....that fella Sheeran is OK in my book...but that's the pop tart in me.
    btw...I is hoping Rock Goddess tour near me soon.....wonder if Jody Turner can cook!!!!!!!

Trillmeister and jeffgt14 like this.
  16. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Digging “Twilight Of The Thunder God” right at this very moment.

As you know, I love classic metal, 80’s metal-then, I don’t venture too far past the household name thrash bands after that.

But....I really like Amon Amarth more and more. They have their own sound. So melodic.

I probably wouldn’t want to listen to a lot of records by bands that featured this type of vocal style. So far, this is the only band I think I listen to with this kind of growl ...& it’s intense!

Great recommendation on this record.

17. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Thank feck!!

The live album with him is muck and he exceeded that bunch of keek by being even worse live on stage when they finally visited Belfast for the first time. Thankfully I caught Trouble with Eric a few years earlier before their final fall out and before Clarke ruined the band. The last album with Kyle isn't bad, but its really missing Eric's vocal (tone I guess - the tow just go hand in hand). Meanwhile Eric is close to out Troubling Trouble via The Skull.

GodShifter likes this.
  18. Natvecal.

Big Wreck-Hey Mama
    Hardrock? heavy vibe IMO......
    I stumbled across this a year or so ago and has a couple of good tunes on it in the same kinda vein as what's referenced here.
    I like this song. The voice is what grabbed my ear along with the Soundgarden-esque/ Southern rock/Zeppelin-isms.
    I always like little nuances or musical subtleties like at the 2:28 mark (The band plays with the drum break down fill here.)It goes by quickly and is a small bit.My ears caught it the first time listening as this was what I liked incorporating when song writing back in the day.Just something a little different without collapsing the flow of your song and keeping the tune interesting.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Stormrider77 likes this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Here's one I just picked up, listened to today for the first time, think it came out about a year ago.

The Wild! - Wild at Heart (2017)

[​IMG]

For fans of bands like The Dead Daisies (who we've talked about earlier in this thread). Straight ahead rock, nothing new per se but well done. The singer has quite a bit of Bon Scott to his voice and although the songs are AC/DC-ish I wouldn't say they are like AC/DC.

Band members (somehow I don't think these are their real names!):
    Dylan Villain - Vocals & Guitars
    Boozus - Bass & Vocals
    The Kid - Guitar & Vocals
    Reese Lightning - Drums

Tracklist:
    01. Ready to Roll
    02. Livin' Free
    03. White Devil
    04. Another Bottle
    05. Best In The West
    06. Six Hundred Sixty Six
    07. Rattlesnake Shake
    08. Run Home
    09. Down At The Bottom
    10. Kansas City Shuffle

My favorite song from the album (White Devil)

Another one I like a lot (Run Home):
    Run Home - YouTube

20. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

hard rock/traditional metal

Natvecal. likes this.
  21. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I was just listening to that the other day. I was also thinking "Blades, Chains, Whips and Fire? Three should be sufficient". :D

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  22. Natvecal.

This sounds cool and reminds me of the singer from Heartwork era Carcass on steroids possibly?IMHO

Dreadnought likes this.
  23. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I got an Arch Enemy vibe from the singer. I listened to more from them from other albums and then ditched them. Not that they are without worth but with 1000's of bands out there I'm pretty much sticking with those who have something special. Special for me. Now I'm applying boot to my own butt for looking for a late 2017 demo I either didn't save or eliminated when I wiped the slate clean of all 2017 (the also ran bands). I'll never remember their name.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Natvecal. likes this.
  24. Natvecal.

Nevermore (1996)
    I remember buying the Debut and then this CD came out .I thought this was a cool groove to this tune starting at the 0:49 mark. Really opens up with that "Purring" groove/rhythm and the half-time snare drum off beat . Like the air it gives it. Like some giant "Purring" machine advancing across the landscape?To me least. I liked this Cd overall. Though, over time I would (and did) kinda get tired of the singing style.....like a lot of singers from the metal genera that I like (but, in small doses VS playing 5/6 of their CDs back to back?):D Just My Opinion here...... .

EDIT: Of course I was well aware of Sanctuary before Nevermore.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  25. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Speaking of hard rock/traditional metal. I recently picked up Ancient Empire: The Tower (2017). I was turned on to band with their previous album Other World (2016). Both albums are your classic meat and potatoes heavy metal with great hooks, wailing solos and clean vocals.