The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Oh man! Seeing stuff in the Hard Rock/ Metal universe to laugh at is like shooting fish in a barrel, just not sporting, but sometimes you see something that really makes you laugh out loud.
    Behold the descendants of the fearsome Genghis Khan. I say bring back the less painful, traditional rape and pillage.
    :edthumbs:

2. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

:faint:

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Big Wreck...I've always described them as Led Zep meets Tool...but frankly I think they are better than both.

Natvecal. likes this.
  4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

:D Metal should have their own version of The Razzies. This is a contender!

Natvecal. likes this.
  5. Natvecal.

Good singer & a lot better guitarist than I would have guessed. Personally I'd like to see an instrumental album from him.Don't know if it would be what I envision him doing but, I'd take the chance and buy it.

Stormrider77 likes this.
  6. Natvecal.

Does Manowar need an opening act?:laugh:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Natvecal.

Meathook Seed
    Anyone remember this project by members of Obituary & Napalm Death?
    When Earache records first came out (after Roadrunner?) there were some interesting bands on this label as I recall.This is a mixbag for me. but, I love the first track Famine Sector( if Darth Vader sang in a metal band and they played on the Death Star on rave night):laugh:Great song IMO.

jason202 likes this.
  8. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Careful...

9. zen

zen Senior Member

Highway Star - G3 2018 - Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Phil Collen - Live in Seattle

Stormrider77 and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  10. Natvecal.

Apologies here. Didn't think of the feeling of fans of the band I mentioned.Sorry to step on toes there! I thought of a better one while working today.....Bad News:D

QUOTE="Mike F, post: 17884717, member: 3351"]Oh man! Seeing stuff in the Hard Rock/ Metal universe to laugh at is like shooting fish in a barrel, just not sporting, but sometimes you see something that really makes you laugh out loud.
    Behold the descendants of the fearsome Genghis Khan. I say bring back the less painful, traditional rape and pillage.
    :edthumbs:

How about opening for Bad News? Then they can come out and sing/jam on Warriors Of Genghis Khan as an encore to closeout of the Bad news set!:laugh:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Trillmeister and slipkid like this.
  11. Trillmeister

Only kidding, Squire! Superb link, there, by the way.

Natvecal. likes this.
  12. Trillmeister

Decades behind, as per, I'm finally starting to appreciate the curious Awaken The Guardian by Fates Warning.

Good job I've got the lyric sheets because I can barely decipher a bleedin' word fired out by John Arch but as an instrument, it's a great voice.

All sorts of peculiar time changes and constantly morphing melodies: not bad...

stay crunchy, Natvecal. and wdiv like this.
  13. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Check out the "Awaken the Guardian Live" 30 year anniversary CD/DVD too. Arch's voice still sounds great... too bad he didn't record more over the years.

Natvecal. likes this.
  14. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Some marvelous John Petrucci here:

Liquid Tension Experiment

15. Natvecal.

One of my wife's favorite bands and singers.Funny you should mention that album(wife had it when first came out on LP)and as a little Christmas present got her the 30 year anniversary CD/DVD.She's seen them (post Arch though)many ,many times.Likes Ray Alder as well.I've never seen . So, she's taking me to see Fate's Warning tonight in San Diego.:D

slipkid, Trillmeister and Brenald79 like this.
  16. Natvecal.

My wife saw the original Awaken The Guardian Tour at a club in San Diego (Rio's -21 and up/all ages) and Ray alder was already singing for them by then! My wife and her friends were What Th-? Noting that Ray sang the songs differently as well adding much to their confusion.But it was Fate's Warning and they still had a great time. Then, No Exit came out and then she liked how Ray's style worked with FW music much better.But they went to see/hear JA. So, kinda got curve-balled with the UN-announced lineup change there! All according to my wife's memories as we're sipping coffee this morning and looking forward to tonight's concert!:laugh:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Brenald79 likes this.
  17. Natvecal.

Agree. I had some EP(5 songs?) he did in the '90s(mid?) great voice.Was it titled just Arch? Can't really recall......

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  18. Natvecal.

Had both releases as they came on Magna Carta Records(on Cd) but, to see them live would have been very cool.

mdent likes this.
  19. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Would have loved to witness that live...but I find the video enjoyable to watch.

My wife got me tickets to an upcoming G3 concert (Satriani, Petrucci, Collen w/ band; Mike Keneally guitar, Bryan Beller bass, Joe Travers drums) for Christmas. I was very surprised she thought of this. She saw an ad with the names Satriani and Petrucci and heard me speak of them in the past and knows how I love the guitar. Should be fun show.

slipkid, Stormrider77 and Natvecal. like this.
  20. Natvecal.

Kudos to your wife! Also, the back-up band is The Mike Keneally Band? Wow!:righton:

mdent likes this.
  21. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

I saw them on east coast last summer. All-around awesome show.

Natvecal. likes this.
  22. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Yeah it is!

Exceptional band, IMO.

Natvecal. likes this.
  23. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

John Arch - "Twist of Fate" EP in 2002 and the Arch/Matheos - "Sympathetic Resonance" LP in 2011 is the extent of his studio work over the past 30 years.

Matthew Tate and Natvecal. like this.
  24. Natvecal.

Yep.Saw them at the Casbah (San Diego) quite some time ago in('96/'97?) Beer For Dolphins.....also in the '90s ('95/'96?) at the NAMM convention as AZ/DZ 0r Z(Great show)

BluesOvertookMe and mdent like this.
  25. Natvecal.

That's the one! thanks.......but, not good for a 30 year output as you noted.

Matthew Tate likes this.