The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've been listening to this one again recently. Definitely one of the most talented and worthwhile bands in Teutonic thrash, especially given the development that led to this album. It's impressive that they went from their more fiery, speed-laden beginnings to this more cerebral and downright chilling display of technicality and songwriting prowess in only three short years. Definitely among the best of 1987, that's for sure.

Doggiedogma and jeffgt14 like this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

From the pounding metal heart of Rising Force, Deja Vu and the dragon slaying Bite The Bullet/Riot In The Dungeon to the more commercial Crystal Ball and Heaven' Tonight...Odyssey is a perfect album IMO from the writing, playing, vocals and a killer mix.

kyouki and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

I reviewed that one early on in this thread. Good album!

The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Here it is.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    jeffgt14 likes this.
  4. GodShifter

His last couple of albums have him singing on them. Definitely not great, but not horrible. Passable is the best compliment I can give him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Pungent Stench fans: the band is finally reissuing most if not all their catalog on vinyl. I think everything's due out at the beginning of May. Pre-orders are up on Amazon, and they aren't cheap!

eric777 likes this.
  6. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I'll exhume it and try!

Curveboy likes this.
  7. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

More commercial? If it was any more commercial, it'd be corporate arena rock.

8. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

And I have no problem with that.
    :D

dmiller458 likes this.
  9. dmiller458

Can you give me a short post of your take on both Boston's and Foreigner's debuts?

10. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Boston - unbelievable from a technical standpoint(recording, mixing, etc.) and very strong songwriting and playing. Not something I'd listen to often but certainly a reference level recording.

Foreigner - An impressive debut...Long, Long Way From Home still gets regular play from me. I don't get the love of Starrider and why they play it still.

kyouki, Matthew Tate and GodShifter like this.
  11. GodShifter

I have no problem with either of those opinions. In fact, I agree. “Starrider” is, like, their “proggy” side so they play for musician cred.

Matthew Tate and Curveboy like this.
  12. GodShifter

I liked Yngwie’s Tribute album. He ripped it up on “Sails of Charon”. Other albums besides that one? Meh.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  13. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Gates of Babylon, In The Dead of Night and Child In Time are pretty spectacular too.

PS - Inspiration

GodShifter likes this.
  14. GodShifter

Er, yes, Inspiration...

Ahem ...

:o

Curveboy likes this.
  15. dmiller458

Classic rock radio overplay had put quite a damper on my enjoyment of either album for the longest time.

Northwind and Curveboy like this.
  16. Trillmeister

That debut record transcends everything; whilst 'More Than A Feeling' is, indeed, borderline unlistenable to, nowadays, the rest is little less than a still, joyously fresh energy transfer.

'Foreplay/Long Time' still raises hairs; the tragically late Delp's vocal is phenomenal.

(I quite like 'Love On The Telephone' by Foreigner which is a proto-JLT Rainbow-esque rocker from a record with a 70s UFO aping cover. Not 'Gates Of Babylon,' of course but as a mainstreamy antidote to today's pap, it's like Paganini rushing Sheeran's stage to conduct a richly overdue lynching.)

17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've been seeing this band and this album on many "essential" lists for a few years now. I found it at my LRS. Safe to say it lives up to the hype. So good. Definitely will play this quite a bit and pick up part 2 soon. \m/:D\m/

18. Trillmeister

Like so much of that period's material, the Helloween production quality seemed to lack a seasoned dose of balls but musically, this, plus its successor (and not forgetting the excellent Walls Of Jericho EP thingy) are/were huge fun, indeed.

Despite the jokey injections throughout, the musicianship hails very far from up fjord.

I distinctly recall being so grateful for this mob's contribution to The Creed at the time, ravaged as it was by the imagery for which it has now been seemingly, eternally associated.

ian christopher likes this.
  19. dmiller458

"The Creed? Dude, With Arms Open Wide is kick@$$!"
    :realmad:

20. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

I still find myself listening to Boston's S/T album a fair amount to this day. As you mentioned, because of the airplay that many, if not all of the songs received, it's something you need to listen to as an album rather then cherry picking a few select tracks. I always thought 1978's Don't Look Back was a fine album as well.

Then again, I went to a REO Speedwagon concert a few weeks back I really enjoyed it.

21. dmiller458

How is Cronin's voice holding up?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. weekendtoy

Opps, I mis-typed. REO Speed Wagon opened for Styx. I really enjoyed the Styx show.

Cronin's voice is shot.

Doggiedogma and GodShifter like this.
  23. weekendtoy

Always a sucker for a cover I was listening to the CD 'A Tribute to the Legendary Twisted Sister' today and was reminded of Overkill's awesome cover of 'Under the Blade'.

24. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I've been listening to this album lately. Italy's Labyrinth is a progressive power metal band that is very much in the vein of Conception and Elegy and made some of the best work in the genre with Return to Heaven Denied arguably being their peak. Everything from the expressive and technically impressive guitarwork, the superb composition, the active and well-developed rhythm section, excellent orchestration and fantastic vocals work together in tandem to conjure a powerful and sometimes sorrowful atmosphere in this unsung classic.

Northwind likes this.
  25. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

Definitely check out Walls of Jericho and the Helloween EP!