The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Saw Dokken over the weekend. Lethargic and disinterested coupled with very poor vocal capabilities = just terrible.

Firehouse on the other hand were surprisingly good.

2. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member Thread Starter

Did you pay money to see that ???

3. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

One of the best power metal albums ever made. So lush, sophisticated and classy. Great songs throughout... from speedsters to ballads.

4. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

:sigh:

Northwind likes this.
  5. weekendtoy

I hope to someday have tastes as refined as yours...

Living in a remote northern outpost I often take what I can get.

6. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

btw the singer from firehouse is getting close to 60 and still sounds great. the drummer, mike foster, lives down the street from me and is a nice guy

ian christopher and weekendtoy like this.
  7. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Don't treat him bad.

:cool:

8. GodShifter

Fair enough. No offense intended.

And my taste ain’t that great as evidence has shown ...

weekendtoy and Northwind like this.
  9. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Who was in Dokken that you saw? Was Lynch & Pilson still there or is it back to the previous band lineup with Jon Levin? Wasn't the Lynch/Pilson reunion lineup done after the Japan thing?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. weekendtoy

Yea it was Dokken and Jon Levin. Both were just going through the motions which was pretty disappointing as I really like Dokken. I knew the reviews have been bad for a number of years now so I should of gone in with lower expectations.

12. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening to this one again.

While I like this album quite a bit now, there was a point where I was just really annoyed at the band itself and found them overrated. My rationale was largely that a lot of their contemporaries (Darkthrone, Immortal, Sabbat (JP), Samael, Burzum, etc.) were releasing actual albums while Mayhem largely subsisted on image mongering which was perpetuated by Euronymous. While I still do kind of think that, I've found a much larger appreciation for it in the last several years and think it's pretty good on its own merits.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The new Black Label Society is solid. Only $10 CAN on Amazon. I like it more than the new COC.

ifihadafish and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Bummer. I really like the albums with Levin. Disappointing to hear that they are not delivering the goods live.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

I've got a question for you guys, basically looking for some recommendations.

One of the things I've been paying more attention to lately is drums. Never paid attention to the drumming so much before, but now I'm noticing it more and more, not just the playing, but also the way they sound, the way they're recorded.

Obviously, I know Clive Burr, Les Binks, Dave Lombardo, Ian Paice, all the classic stuff.

What are some of your favorite albums with really great drumming?

16. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

My copy of the new BLS hasn't arrived yet - the gig is on Sunday, so going in blind. I've the new COC and it hasn't done much for me - a shame after such a long wait to hear the new Pepper material (but I'll keep plugging away at it. Hasn't helped I've just discovered Kings X after 30 years of not bothering - hell those first two albums are mighty!)

17. GodShifter

Are you looking for fast, thrashy stuff or just bands with really good drummers? I suppose the first doesn't have to be mutually exclusive to the second. One of the best drummers in metal in my opinion, is Des Kensel of High On Fire. His work on The Art of Self Defense is great. If you like more of a groove thing, check out some early Spiritual Beggars. Their drummer, Ludwig Witt, is really talented (he also played with Bill Steer's band Firebird).

Stormrider77 likes this.
  18. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Just anything, really. Oh yeah, I remeber the HOF drummer being really good. Thanks for the recommendations.

You know what kind of stuff I like? What Donald Tardy does on those Obituary albums. Not in the least bit intrusive, playing around the riffs, pushing the song forward, and with a ton of groove.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

KISS Creatures of the Night
    Dokken Tooth & Nail also see Erase The Slate
    Heart Dreamboat Annie
    Badlands Badlands
    Accept Blood of the Nations
    Black Sabbath Cross Purposes
    Blue Murder Blue Murder
    Queensrÿche Warning

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

ifihadafish mentioned discovering King's X right below your post. I would nominate their first 3 albums as having great drumming (along with killer songs/everything), but I am a huge fan of drummer Jerry Gaskill already from so many live shows that I've seen, he is amazing. So I would say check out Out of the Silent Planet, Faith Hope Love, or Gretchen Goes to Nebraska.

Then there is my favorite album ever, The Who's Quadrophenia, which I think Keith Moon really excels on. And of course almost anything by Rush - Neil Peart is the best drummer I've ever seen. If you are not into Rush already it is hard to try to recommend a starting point they have so many great albums but I would nominate Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, and Farewell to Kings as ones you can't go wrong with.

21. GodShifter

Hm, the band The Mars Volta has good drumming.

As far as Donald Tardy, boy, that’s tough to come up with somebody like that. Pete Sandoval from Morbid Angel? I’m trying to think of more obscure stuff instead of recommending the obvious choices. Charlie Benante can lay it down, but he’s obvious. I’d have to think some more.

My favorite drummer of all-time is Robert Heaton who played with New Model Army, but they aren’t a heavy band in the least. I like Ordy Garrison of Wovenhand but they’re not heavy either. Believe it or not, Dave Grohl does a great job on Killing Joke’s 2003 self titled album. Yeah, I know .... he does play great on it, though.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  22. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

I'd put up Gene Hoglan, Sean Reinert and Scott Travis.

23. GodShifter

All good dudes, no doubt, but those guys are machines. Tardy is a bit different than that. Admittedly, my recommendation of Pete Sandoval is more in line with the guys you mentioned.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. imag&nos

imag&nos Forum Resident

Yeah, Creatures is legendary for it, excellent stuff.
    See, I never paid attention to the drumming on The Warning, thanks for reminding me to listen more carefully the next time.

Been meaning to check out those early albums since forever, I only know Dogman.
    It's crazy, but I've never liked Moon that much. It's like one giant drum fill, not usually something I'm looking for. But then I'm not too hot on The Who anyway.
    Rush, sure, well familiar with all those albums, but not one of my favorites.

Uh, just don't like TMV. Great musicians, though.
    Benante is excellent and is in fact a great example of what I'm looking for.
    I know some NMA, will probably go back to them at some point.
    Now, Grohl is an excellent drummer. Loved him in Nirvana, loved him on that QOTSA album, he hits very hard and has a perfect feeling for accentuating the exact parts of the song that need it.

It's funny to hear how sloppy Hoglan was on Darkness Descends when you think of what kind of a drummer he has become since.
    I don't know, Reinert was perfect for Cynic's Focus and made a great rhythm section with Malone. Not someone I'd put in this category, and I wouldn't put Sandoval there either. The problem with him is that the best MA albums, the first three, all have different styles of bad drum production. It's either too clicky, or too plastic, or awkwardly placed in the mix (Covenant)...
    No argument about Travis.

25. GodShifter

I don’t like The Mars Volta either. They are good musicians though. Agree, on Moon. Not a favorite, ever.