The "Official" All Purpose Heavy Metal and Hard Rock Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodShifter, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Natvecal.

Natvecal. JUST A LOW- FI GUY WHO LOVES A GREAT MASTERING

Just saw Steve Morse with the Dregs last Saturday Night. Ripping it! I hope the bone on bone issue he has will hold up through that DP& JP Tour? Or if someone knows some procedure Steve had for his hand? His playing is destroying his hand (s?) apparently. So sad...

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

Talking of DP, even in its most cynically assembled iteration, I spun up TBRON last night and in the passage-of-time-softening manner of THOBL, found myself dutifully detached from pervasive sentiments and actually extracting virtue therefrom.

I guess it's just cathartic to visit lesser trodden pathways of the Gillan-Blackmore-Lord axis.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I played THOBL the other day and was immersed in the magic. :righton:

Natvecal. and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

It is a shame. Sometimes the body just can't keep doing what the brain tells it to do. He has been struggling for quite a while IIRC.

Natvecal. and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  5. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

DP and JP is such an awesome pairing... a shame that the two entities are rather withered at this point. I would love to go, but none of the dates work for me. Thankfully, I saw JP last month and DP last September.

Natvecal. likes this.
  6. Natvecal.

Don't forget the fanbase too:laugh:
    Our last "Metal" show (Fates Warning) I was struck by how grey the crowd was. It's like looking in a mirror when we see bands we grew up with getting....up there in age and appearance, sadly? Bands like the fans,some hold up better as time goes through the decades and others ? Not so well...:sigh:

weekendtoy likes this.
  7. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

I recently saw The War on Drugs and was struck by how old the audience there was. My working theory is that middle-aged people are the only ones who have both the inclination to go to concerts and the money to afford concert tickets.

Natvecal. likes this.
  8. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

I think it depends on how successful an old band has been in maintaining multi-generational popularity. I saw Fates last summer... GREAT performance... what struck me the most was how tiny the crowd was. Made me sad that such a legendary band of masterful musicians could only pull in less than 100.

Some bands like Wishbone Ash... Metal Church... Michael Schenker Fest... VERY old crowd (I'm usually one of the youngest at age 36... as my tastes largely predate my birth year).

When I see Judas Priest... and especially Iron Maiden... you have multiple generations of fans from teens through 60-somethings. Maiden seems to have been particularly successful at maintaining relevance with emerging generations.

My worry... is that being 36 today... I'll have no bands to see when I'm in my 50s.

9. Natvecal.

The show the Wife & I were at wasn't "Sold-Out" & at a small venue. so, 100+ could look good in that venue.But, agree with you.

That's good news.But, curious how many (%) were the "Offspring" of the older fans there? I noticed this at the Fates show as there were some young people there. Half appeared to be with older fans and though not proof in itself. Seemed related to older fans there by my observations? Similar in looks/body shape? I could be dead wrong on this too. but, certanly not out of the question?

I feel for you.Enjoy the now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

I'm not withered. :(

11. Natvecal.

At 56 years old I not withered either my friend!:laugh: Just a generalization of the fact -we grow older with our music/bands we grew up with? BTW, I think you look great! Keep up the good work:righton:

Weirwolfe and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

:cheers: It's easily in my top 5 purple platters; and I definitely would not have said that back in the 90's. It's aged quite well for us MKII fans.

By the way, back in 2015 I noticed all the Purple albums in the CD era with Blackmore (1984-93), kept the albums at around 45 minutes; with a side 1...and...side 2 in mind.
    It got me wondering if Ritchie was behind that LP length choice (in the CD age), or, was it the industry's decision by the mid '90's, to have albums longer on the CD format?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Trillmeister likes this.
  13. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

The problem is that progressive rock/metal (Fates Warning and Wishbone Ash) is kind of hard to recommend. Besides, I genuinely think that Maiden largely subsist on their iconography and good live performance at this point. If it were just on the basis of their reunion material, I doubt that would be the case.

kyouki, Jimmy Agates and zphage like this.
  14. Natvecal.

Good points. I think as we (the fan ) age we don't really see it as much(day to day) UNTIL, we go to a show and look around at the crowd with a ,"Am I one of these people now?" kind of revelation?A reality check at the same time your enjoying the show. Talk about bittersweet...:laugh:

Jimmy Agates and zphage like this.
  15. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

This goes to what I was saying previously about Mercyful Fate and to what I've said many times about the 80s. Whether it was metal or alt/indie post-punk, almost all the best rock was underground during the 80s.

Fates Warning never had a string of high-charting, gold and platinum albums like Priest and Maiden did. I don't believe that FW ever broke the US top 100 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). They were always an underground band. Regardless of how kick@$$ they were; they don't draw huge crowds because they were never that big to begin with,

Doggiedogma and Natvecal. like this.
  16. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

The highest they ever peaked was with No Exit in 1988 in the 111th position.

17. dmiller458

Thank you.

18. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Fates Warning had a reputation in the underground as an Iron Maiden copycat which didn't even hold much water with their sophomore release considering Jim Matheos' riff construction and songwriting along with John Arch's vocal harmonies. The only time that was even remotely correct was with their debut. Frankly, they're one of those bands that have been constantly shortchanged. Whether it be from Iron Maiden fanboys who grasped onto the fact that Arch and Dickinson have a vaguely similar cadence and believe that is enough to call the band a copy or Dream Theater fans who are afflicted by a perpetual state of butthurt because they can't handle that Fates Warning ushered in what is considered as modern progressive metal (Perfect Symmetry AND Parallels) before Dream Theater.

Natvecal. and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

That’s how I felt on RDS a few days ago being the only one standing in line with 2 hand fulls of hard rock / metal CDs.

Natvecal. likes this.
  20. Northwind

Northwind Forum Resident

Has the cover art aged well for you?

21. zen

zen Senior Member

[​IMG]
    It sounds like a thread in the making! :) I never had a problem with the album cover. I actually like the idea of two heads on the same body attacking itself. Very, MKII. Aged well.
    What I didn't like was the way the lyrics were printed. As I recall, they were too small, with a lousy font. No biggie, but Gillan's lyrics do deserve a better presentation. (ie. 70's MKII)

Trillmeister and Northwind like this.
  22. dmiller458

Metal-heads know that it's first generation bands like Fates that do all the heavy lifting while those that come after reap the rewards. And it's funny to talk about power and progressive metal bands as being Maiden clones. Maiden's scope was so wide, it's difficult to find any 80s prog/power band that wasn't heavily influenced by them.

Doggiedogma, weekendtoy and Northwind like this.
  23. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

[​IMG]

An excellent album and a great start.

24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Hell yeah. One of my favorite albums by one of my favorite bands.

Natvecal. likes this.
  25. Natvecal.

Excellent album. My old Bass player bought Gretchen Goes To Nebraska on cassette when first released. That was my first time hearing King's X. Seen them a few times and sadly they just played in my neck of the woods last week(San Diego week later San Juan Capistrano and I'm right in between these )as I have no funds for this at this time. Told my wife we were going to have to pass on this ...not happy about that still.